Can't update plex on FreeNAS 11.2

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I recently updated my Freenas server to 11.2 and I reinstalled plex as a new iocage jail. I just noticed today that there is an update to the plex plugin. I looked in the Freenas User Guide under section 13.2 and found that updating a plugin happens under jails. I go there and see under the plex jail that there is an update option now, but when I click it nothing happens. I can see that the shell writes undefined. Is there a bug or something I am unaware of?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

The plugin update will actually be available tomorrow and we will publish a blog post once the update is available. Please let us know if you still have a problem updating once the new version is available.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
The plugin update will actually be available tomorrow and we will publish a blog post once the update is available. Please let us know if you still have a problem updating once the new version is available.

Thanks for the clarification. I will check again tomorrow and report back.

rknaub

Explorer
Looks like the plugin list is showing the latest release now! I will try updating through the jails tab and see what happens, thanks!

Edit, actually it's not the latest version, but it is updated from what it was about an hour ago. Also, updating through the GUI in jails tab still does nothing.

ThreeDee

Guru
updating through the jail not working here either

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If it's not working someone should file a bug report.

Psychoteur

Dabbler
Hello,
I don't know what the update button does. Because it said "updated" but nothing changed. Still old version of Plex.
But in the section "available plugin" -> Plex Media Server is more up to date than current version installed.
And why if I click "install", it seems to want to do it beside Plex media Server is already installed.

ThreeDee

Guru
I just did a "pkg upgrade" and "pkg update" (or vise versa) and got plex to update via my plex's jail shell. I was pleasantly surprised how easy/hassle free manually updating is with the new iocage plugins. Don't need a script or edit anything ..

rknaub

Explorer
I went to the jails tab, clicked the three dots, clicked shell. Once in the shell I typed “pkg upgrade” and the jail upgraded. I then exited the shell, and restarted plex from the jails tab and am now running the new version.

Wishing I would have tried upgrading from the jails tab one more time to see if it would have worked that way, guessing not though. I don’t feel like doing it manually from the shell is what unfamiliar users like myself would prefer.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I am very confused by this updating of plugins with new ui and new iocage jails. Clicking the update button under jails does nothing as Psychoteur mentioned.

Last edited:

insan3

Dabbler
I also couldn't update the plugin using the plugin > update . The update button isn't there. Maybe because it doesn't know the current version. As you can see in the attached screenshot the version stays N/A. Also i tried this with the newest plugin but it keeps N/A as version number.

Attachments

• plex_version.png
    plex_version.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,166

Psychoteur

Dabbler
Using pkg update is like having built your own jail. So why having an official plugin ?
I did install the official plugin for easy management and updates.
I installed freenas to people who aren't tech savy. I need a "push button" solution.
In previous freenas version, when a plugin needed update we had a clear indication and the button was next to the plugin !
This is not user friendly. It starts to feel that maintain the whole freenas/jails/plugins is a daily job.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I just did a "pkg upgrade" and "pkg update" (or vise versa) and got plex to update via my plex's jail shell. I was pleasantly surprised how easy/hassle free manually updating is with the new iocage plugins. Don't need a script or edit anything ..

I did this as well but I misunderstood first what you wrote. I just opened a shell in freenas and pkg update etc. fails. I found out you need to open the shell in the jail (there is a button for it). Then it works and I could update plex to the latest version. Which now isn't the latest at the moment.

Psychoteur

Dabbler
From my understanding yes !
I did
iocage rename plex plexmediaserver
then
iocage update plexmediaser
Snapshot already exists!

Of course, doing pkg update && pkg upgrade -y works but this is not a good for solution for the people where I've installed freenas.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
From my understanding yes !
I did
iocage rename plex plexmediaserver
then
iocage update plexmediaser
Snapshot already exists!

Of course, doing pkg update && pkg upgrade -y works but this is not a good for solution for the people where I've installed freenas.
Hope they fix this in the next update for 11.2. Ever since the terrible release of Freenas 10 things haven't been going very well for for Freenas. Every update in my experience has something critical that breaks or doesn't work correctly and you have to apply a workaround of some sort.

Psychoteur

Dabbler
Amen to that.
I've got bhyve not working too ! But you are right there is every time some gotchas.
This is why I haven't update anyone yet. I'm some kind of beta tester in that way.
C'est la vie !

André Fettouhi

Contributor
Amen to that.
I've got bhyve not working too ! But you are right there is every time some gotchas.
This is why I haven't update anyone yet. I'm some kind of beta tester in that way.
C'est la vie !

Yeah things have derailed since the release of Freenas 10, which I don't understand how it could have been released at all given all the issues it had. I originally installed my Freenas server with 9.3 and everything was fine with updates there. Hopefully with the 11.2 series we are looking at brighter future for Freenas and the UI etc.