Can't update plex on FreeNAS 11.2

thejamesk

Explorer
I too would love to upgrade Plex from 1.13.4.527.1 to a newer version. Shame the update button in FreeNAS does not seem to do anything, Same with trying the pkg update and upgrade commands.

Sucks not being able to make use of the new features and bug fixes

dan3408

Dabbler
Using the command line "pkg upgrade" worked for me with no problems for my Plex Media Server (PlexPass) plugin. The hardest part was discovering that this command is the way to perform the update.

The documentation[1] should be updated to reflect that the GUI update feature isn't ready yet[2]. Does anyone know if there is better documentation than searching through these forums? Is there a wiki or the like where I could contribute?

[1] https://ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/plugins.html#update
[2] https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/65358

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I too would love to upgrade Plex from 1.13.4.527.1 to a newer version. Shame the update button in FreeNAS does not seem to do anything, Same with trying the pkg update and upgrade commands.

Sucks not being able to make use of the new features and bug fixes

Are you sure that you are using the shell that is connected to the plex jail?

Psychoteur

Dabbler
you need to do:
Code:
sudo iocage console plexmediaserver

pkg update && pkg upgrade -y

plexmediaserver being the name of the jail, you can check:
Code:
sudo iocage list

By the way I assume you did connect with ssh. I don't know your client machine but from Windows 10 1809.
Open Powershell as admin and:
ssh username@freenas

username being the login user on Freenas. Don't use root !

The documentation says to go to the jail and push "update".
But as I said before:
1) It doesn't work.
2) Why the update button isn't in the plugin section as before.
3) There is no clear way to see that a plugin needs an update. So when do I push the update ?
4) There are two kind of update from my understanding of iocage: the one performs by pkg update/upgrade, and the second against which version of freebsd is used to create the jail.
5) Not user friendly. How do I ask "common people" to do all the above !

From my own jails I've got the official from the plugin repository so the version is 11.2-release but my custom jails are version 11.2-release-p4.

thejamesk

Explorer
According to my Shell window it says its up to date though according to Plex console its not. Somewhat confused by this.

1545742411968.png

1545742440342.png

Psychoteur

Dabbler
Try:
service plexmediaserver restart
service plexmediaserver status

pkg version
Updating iocage-plugins repository catalogue...
iocage-plugins repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
compat10x-amd64-10.4.1004000.20181014 =
compat9x-amd64-9.3.903000.20170608 =
pkg-1.10.5_5 =
plexmediaserver-1.14.0.5470 =

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Psychoteur

Dabbler
That's what I though too but if it you used the official plugin it should work. I only need to adapt inside my custom jails.

Create the file /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf but override the URL instead of disabling the repository:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

but inside the official plex plugin:
Code:
cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
FreeBSD: { enabled: no }

So I don't know if drifting further away from the official plugin is going to help ?
Doing a fresh install and rsync -Pav for the data seems more appropriate.

thejamesk

Explorer
That's what I though too but if it you used the official plugin it should work. I only need to adapt inside my custom jails.

Create the file /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf but override the URL instead of disabling the repository:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

but inside the official plex plugin:
Code:
cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
FreeBSD: { enabled: no }

So I don't know if drifting further away from the official plugin is going to help ?
Doing a fresh install and rsync -Pav for the data seems more appropriate.

Thanks for this, Will give it a try. Would prefer to keep to the defaults as much as possible so its a pain the update button does nothing :(

Psychoteur

Dabbler
I should not do two things at the same time. My last message has very bad grammar.
I personnaly would do a fresh install of the plugin.
At least it would be clean and up-to-date.

thejamesk

Explorer
I should not do two things at the same time. My last message has very bad grammar.
I personally would do a fresh install of the plugin.
At least it would be clean and up-to-date.

Good idea, Might be much easier to re install from scratch. Ill see how things so if not just update the long way.

thejamesk

Explorer
I assume pkg update & pkg upgrade -y auto searches and installs the new version from FreeNAS directory, Is there a way I can manually apply the latest update using an alternative method such as an update file?

ThreeDee

Guru
the PMS_updater has been updated to work with iocage in 11.2 ..i'm on latest version of Plex
Version 1.14.1.5488

now using it.
PMS_updater will get you latest version quicker than pkg update && pkg upgrade -y will

rknaub

Explorer
the PMS_updater has been updated to work with iocage in 11.2 ..i'm on latest version of Plex
Version 1.14.1.5488

now using it.
PMS_updater will get you latest version quicker than pkg update && pkg upgrade -y will

How do you do the pms_updater method?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad