Update plex iocage?

mloiterman

Dabbler
I'm trying to manually update my Plex Media Server (PlexPass) iocage ahead of the 11.2-U3 fix for the button.

I'm on 1.14.1.5487 and 1.14.1.5488 is now the current plugin version.

I've entered the command:
iocage update plex

But I'm getting this error:

/mnt/tank/iocage/.plugin_index/plex.json was not found!

If I enter

iocage update plexpassplexmediaserver-plexpass

I get:

jail 'plexpassplexmediaserver-plexpass' not found!

The jail is simply called 'plex'.

Last edited:

Ixian

Patron
Did you actually install it via the plugin, or did you create a jail of your own and install from the package? It looks like you did the latter.

Ixian

Patron
Updating packages inside the plex jail doesn't work? Or you haven't tried that?

Code:
iocage console plex
pkg update && pkg upgrade

Though I am not certain how or if this interferes with whatever update method the plugin process uses.

mloiterman

Dabbler
Updating packages inside the plex jail doesn't work? Or you haven't tried that?

Code:
iocage console plex
pkg update && pkg upgrade

Though I am not certain how or if this interferes with whatever update method the plugin process uses.

I did not try updating that way since it appears to be discouraged, as best as I can tell.

I've been a FreeBSD admin for almost 20 years, so I'm more than capable of "forcing it" via pkg commands, but I'd rather not do that.

Perhaps it's best to just wait for the GUI to be updated.

Yorick

Wizard
I had the same issue. Rename the jail to plexmediaserver-plexpass or plexmediaserver, depending on which you installed. Remove the snapshot if one exists from the failed attempt. Then update with iocage, it'll work.

I consider this a bug. The jail should be named so it matches the json for the plugin.

Ixian

Patron
It is a bug, and slated to be fixed in 11.2U3. However there still seems to be some confusion surrounding it; as @Yorick points out, one problem is the names of the plugins don't match the plugin json file, so in the case of Plex iocage update plex doesn't work because there is no script called "plex" in the jail, it's either plexmediaserver-plexpass or plexmediaserver depending on what you installed. The GUI update is just triggering the same command so it's broken too.

Best way to get all this addressed is to update and participate in the bug ticket(s) with details. In the meantime the most recent version of the PMS_Updater script works fine with 11.2 and doesn't require enabling/using the pkg system inside the jail, which Ix systems discourages for plugin jails.

Or just rename the jail itself so it matches as Yorick points out. I haven't tried that personally since I update it manually but that seems like it would be the easiest of all :)

StephanWolf

Cadet
I had the same issue. Rename the jail to plexmediaserver-plexpass or plexmediaserver, depending on which you installed. Remove the snapshot if one exists from the failed attempt. Then update with iocage, it'll work.

I consider this a bug. The jail should be named so it matches the json for the plugin.

This worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

mloiterman

Dabbler

How does one safely rename the jail? Can I just rename it from the command line?

EDIT
Never mind, I needed to stop the jail and then edit. Update worked fine after I renamed the jail to plexmediaserver-plexpass.

Last edited:

Lothian

Dabbler
Ok, it may seem obvious to you how to rename the jail, but I cannot see where. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yorick

Wizard

marcevan

Patron
Didn't have to rename the jail at all.

Just go to the jail and issue the pkg update && pkgupgrade and with one 'y' answer it updates.
Then exit the shell and go an restart the plugin and it should be up and running and Bob's yer Uncle.

Lothian

Dabbler
Any idea when they will update the plugin so that it picks up the latest version of Plex? The new version has been out for more than a week but the plugin still shows the old version.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Honestly guys if it's that big of an issue to be on the latest version of Plex every time it's released you need to install Plex in a standard jail and keep it up to date yourself.

Lothian

Dabbler
It's no problem, but I am interested in how frequently I can expect these updates. If it is once a month, that is ok... If it is once every new release of NAS, then you are right, I should consider other alternatives.

Skro

Contributor
The new version has been out for more than a week but the plugin still shows the old version.

The current version of Plex server for FreeBSD according to the Plex web site is 1.14.1.5488, which was released December 14, 2018. This is the version listed in the available plugins, pkgs, and ports.

The ports and pkgs were available within 5-10 days of the release and the plugin was updated in February. I use the ports install, it is the first to get updated after Plex releases changes.

Last edited:

Skro

Contributor

Lothian

Dabbler
When I run my Plex web interface, it announces a new version 1.15.1.780 is available for download and has been doing this for a week. I went to the web site and discovered that this is because I am using the PlexPass version which makes "Preview" versions available. My apologies.

Yorick

Wizard
There is a plexmediaserver-plexpass plugin which might track these plexpass releases more closely.

It used to be plugins were updated with FreeNAS. That’s no longer the case, you can see plugin updates more frequently now. That said, if you can’t wait a month after a Plex release, then the plugin path is probably not for you. Plugins appear to attempt to strike a balance between being reasonably up to date, and not chasing every release the moment it comes out.

Skro

Contributor
There is a plexmediaserver-plexpass plugin which might track these plexpass releases more closely.
I am both a free and plexpass user and my experience is that the FreeBSD ports versions tend to be updated at the same, or within a short period of time of each other (the current port maintainer is the same for both the free and pass version of Plex on ports, so they tend to be released at the same time or very closely one following the other). My experience with the pkg version is that it usually lags 2-3 weeks behind a release, but it can vary.

When I run my Plex web interface, it announces a new version 1.15.1.780 is available for download and has been doing this for a week. I went to the web site and discovered that this is because I am using the PlexPass version which makes "Preview" versions available. My apologies.
No worries, we are all here to learn.
Plex does offer the ability to use the Beta update channel on both clients and servers (Settings > General >Server update Channel on the FreeBSD server version accessed through the Windows or local web client). I haven't noticed any settings for a 'Preview' version (maybe on the app.plex or a Mac version?), so I am curious where that setting is. I don't use a beta/preview version on my NAS nor would I recommend it for most users.

I have signed up for beta on my Nvidia Shield client/server....But, both can be quite buggy (which as a person who did QA for years, I'm willing to tolerate and work with, but it should be avoided by anybody unwilling to create bug reports and work with the devs to help understand/test issues).

FYI: I don't hold the bugs against the Plex or other devs. They are creating a significant variety of both client and server versions for various hardware/software/OS's, and that gets complicated. Same goes for ports, pkg, and plugin maintainers as much of this is done by volunteers. And lastly, the FreeNAS devs who work to give us an appliance to bring it all together in a usable way....[steps off soap box]

So, the short answer...
If you always want the latest...use ports to install.
If you're willing to wait a few weeks....use pkgs to install.
If you want the convenience and you're willing to be patient and update every quarter...use the plugin.