Update plex iocage?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you're willing to wait a few weeks....use pkgs to install
Correction, pkg's should probably be less than 3 days behind ports. They get built all the time and probably daily when resources are available.

Skro

Contributor

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This has not been my experience...but, YMMV.
Well I know for a fact they use to be built every Wednesday back in 2015. So your comment about weeks is wrong. And looking at the status page below you can see it's almost daily but sometimes every other day now, 2019.

Edit: here is the actual build website: https://pkg-status.freebsd.org

Last edited:

Skyfox

Explorer
Hi guys, having a little trouble updating Plex now and this seems to be the right thread.

Since updating my Plex Jail to iocage, I have been updating within the iocage using pkg update and pkg upgrade. But this has stopped updating now. Also, looking through this forum, seems that is discouraged anyway.

I then updated the iocage using this command iocage update plex. This seemed to work but reset my plex to default plexmediaserver (not plexpass) and lost everything. So rolled back.

I then attempted the update using the plexpass version of the updater script described in this thread. The result was similar to the iocage update and lost all the settings. Rollback again

I was attempting to change the name of the jail to plexmediaserver-plexpass, but it doesn't appear to let me even when it is not running.

Have I just screwed up this jail by pkg updating within it? Any other suggestions to try and help me upgrade plex without losing everything?

Thanks in advance!

dbord

Dabbler
I was having this same problem after updating to 11.3. I renamed the jail to plexmediaserver-plexpass using the iocage rename command, but I still get the following error:

Error: /mnt/swamp/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/plex-plexpass.json was not found!

Do I need to rename the jail too?

NasKar

Guru
I'm trying to update plex to version 1.19.4.2935 as I here it may fix the incorrect remote status down/up problem. My current version is plexmediaserver-1.19.3.2852. My FreeBSD.conf file is
Code:
FreeBSD: {
url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

I'm not sure why it's not updating to the latest version that is shown in freshport.org

Yorick

Wizard
I'm not sure why it's not updating to the latest version that is shown in freshport.org

Because there's a delay between that and when you see this available via pkg in FreeBSD 11.3. Just chillax, give it a week or two, it'll be there.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I'm trying to update plex to version 1.19.4.2935 as I here it may fix the incorrect remote status down/up problem. My current version is plexmediaserver-1.19.3.2852. My FreeBSD.conf file is
Code:
FreeBSD: {
url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

It's currently in the queue to be built.
Code:
8881    plexmediaserver-1.19.4.2935    multimedia/plexmediaserver    listed
8882    plexmediaserver-plexpass-1.19.4.2935    multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass    listed

Yorick

Wizard
Fun. This from 2015:
“ The FreeBSD Foundation was nice enough to purchase several 24-32 CPU 96GB machines to replace the old cluster. Using the new systems with Poudriere the entire ports tree can be built from scratch in about 16 hours on one machine.”

That’s clearly no longer true. Looking at the link you gave, it looks like 3 to maybe 4 days now for the entire ports tree, and then start over the next Tuesday.

I wonder how a 256GB/512GB Threadripper would fare. Or whether the limitation is cpu and memory, rather than I/O.

Can’t find a discussion on current build hardware and potential replacement, though.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Fun. This from 2015:
“ The FreeBSD Foundation was nice enough to purchase several 24-32 CPU 96GB machines to replace the old cluster. Using the new systems with Poudriere the entire ports tree can be built from scratch in about 16 hours on one machine.”

That’s clearly no longer true. Looking at the link you gave, it looks like 3 to maybe 4 days now for the entire ports tree, and then start over the next Tuesday.

I wonder how a 256GB/512GB Threadripper would fare. Or whether the limitation is cpu and memory, rather than I/O.

Can’t find a discussion on current build hardware and potential replacement, though.
Yeah I think it takes like 48h to build 11.3 ports tree right now. And the funny part is that Plex isn't even built it's just a tarball that gets untared and verified it something simple like that.