Plex isn't updating with "iocage update plexmediaserver"

Mannekino

Patron
Hi,

I saw that there is a new version of Plex available in FreeNAS. I'm currently running version 1.15.2.793_1.

I tried updating my plugin using iocage update plexmediaserver (this is the correct name of my jail) but it didn't work.

I also tried doing iocage fetch then choosing the 11.2 branch.

Any ideas how I can update my Plex? How to troubleshoot?

Already read this page: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/may-plugins-update/

Edit: I just tried updating my Transmission plugin using the same method and that worked just fine. It shows the new version under the install plugins page. Also tried Plex a couple more times but no luck.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tullnd

Cadet
edit - so I realized after posting this, that you used the plugin. I'm not 100% sure how the plugin is configured vs a manually created jail, so I may be talking out of turn here. I assume the plugin uses the quarterly release config in the jail by default, but I may be wrong. If I am, just copy down what was in the FreeBSD.conf file before you edit it, so you can revert if necessary.

So by default, the updates are on quarterly packages. If you want to change to "latest" releases, you need to make a few edits. I recently followed a tutorial here to setup my Plex jail and I ended up having the same issue.

The tutorial actually walked me through generating the change to update to latest versions, but the file it created, didn't have the correct formatting I guess, so it didn't work until i manually edited it.

You need to create a file called FreeBSD.conf, at /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/ inside the plex jail. I found it easier to just launch a shell directly on the Plex jail, rather than do this from the default Freenas shell.

Use whatever editor you want(ee, nano, etc...) and create the file. Below, I used nano.

#nano /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

You may have already created the file. That's fine, just make sure the contents show up as below, just what's in between the lines:

---------------
FreeBSD: {
url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}
---------------

After that, I executed a pkg update and then a pkg upgrade, and it was then fetching the "latest" of a variety of updates. Note that you're changing ALL pkg's on this jail to update to latest, not just Plex. So you're increasing the chance of installing an new update that may have some unknown side effects. I'd recommend reviewing everything that's available, to make sure you don't risk updates that may go badly.

Mannekino

Patron
That file already existed in my jail with the following contents:

Code:
FreeBSD: { enabled: yes }

Edit 1:

I added the line you suggested above also to the configuration file and did a pkg update and pkg upgrade

I saw the new version of plexmediaserver listed and it's updating now.

Wondering if there is some bug in iocage system of FreeNAS. Also wondering if I should stop using the plugins from FreeNAS and just do everything manually.

Edit 2:

Seem to have worked, thank you.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I added the line you suggested above also to the configuration file and did a pkg update and pkg upgrade
Ordinarily only pkg upgrade is needed--pkg isn't apt.

Also wondering if I should stop using the plugins from FreeNAS and just do everything manually.
Pros and cons both ways, but specifically with respect to Plex, the plugin saves you from running three whole commands at the command line in a jail: pkg install plexmediaserver, sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES, and service plexmediaserver start. That's it. The "hard" part, IMO, is setting up the storage mount points and permissions, and you need to do that regardless of how you installed Plex. Not that it is difficult, but it's trickier than the installation.