9.3.1 Update with alert Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreyj900

Dabbler
I've up-dated my X10SL7-F Mobo's LSI 2308 Firmware to 20.00.02.00 and I'm running FreeNAS 9.3.1 with no problems. However I'm watching "ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/" for the 20.00.04.00 up-date on a daily basis however it's still not there.

Interestingly enough, it looks like it was posted today :smile:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Hobbel

Contributor
Let the flash begin... :P

TXAG26

Patron
Interestingly enough, it looks like it was posted today :)

Indeed it has.

OK, head scratcher here: Supermicro also updated the firmware for the LSI 3008 controller (newer version (12gbps version) of the 2308 that is now being integrated onto socket 2011 boards). It was my understanding that FreeNAS 9.3.1 required the PH9 firmware. However, Supermicro completely skipped PH9 and went from PH8 to PH10 (PH10 was just posted today).

Any ideas??? This is isn't the first time everything has flip flopped back & forth, with neither product supporting what is currently out or the most recent. I'm a bit leery to flash a Supermicro onboard controller with the LSI/Avago default image.

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I'd either use PH9 firmware (which doesn't exist) or simply not use 9.3.1 until Supermicro provides PH9 firmware. :/

Optionally, you are probably safe using the default 3008 firmware from Avago, but I've never done it and as I don't recommend the 3xxx series LSI chipsets at the present time (I don't consider it 'production ready') so I'm not sure what my opinion is even worth. :P

msbxa

Contributor
Can somebody provides me with steps to up-date my X10SL7-F Mobo's LSI 2308 Firmware to 20.00.04.00 that was released yesterday ?. I am running FreeNAS 9.3.x with PH16 and needs to move to FreeNAS 9.3.1.

MaIakai

Dabbler
Welp I'm having problems.

Just got a Dell H310. Flashed it to P16 IT mode and replaced my old Dell H200.
Instantly pool degraded. Ok reboot, same thing, two drives are not seen/missing. Update to P20 and reboot many times. Ok both drives are now seen, but one has failed. Whatever I was going to replace it anyways, can't replace/offline as a scrub is in process... Great ok wait out the scrub, can't offline the drive, shutdown, pull the drive, replace with a new WD 6TB NAS. Back to two drives not being seen (The drive I put in is seen)

dmesg just flat out doesn't show da2/da3.

python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py serial_from_device da2

see's nothing.

I've tried swapping the sas breakout cable, swapping the old drive back in. changing HBA ports, changing pcie slots. At this point I might just pop the H200 back in.

Last edited:

Harsesis

Explorer

PenalunWil

Contributor

msbxa

Contributor
Thanks PenalunWiL and everyone in the discussion that's the details that I was looking for. The only step that needs to be added is this ( Install the FreeNAS 9.3.1 update and reboot) but at what level Before firmware update or after? Because I see people doing before the upgrade and some after.
Last I don't have a data backup I haven't invested of having one, that's why I have to be very surtain what I am doing.

TXAG26

Patron
I wouldn't update FreeNAS, firmware or anything else until you have a good backup of the files you can't afford to loose. For about $250 USD you can get an 8TB Seagate archive external USB drive to manually copy important files to.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Thanks PenalunWiL and everyone in the discussion that's the details that I was looking for. The only step that needs to be added is this ( Install the FreeNAS 9.3.1 update and reboot) but at what level Before firmware update or after? Because I see people doing before the upgrade and some after.
Last I don't have a data backup I haven't invested of having one, that's why I have to be very surtain what I am doing.

My up-date was done after but this was because I applied the FreeNAS up-dates without realising that the new LSI2308 firmware was required to match that in the FreeNAS.

Regarding your back up... this is probably the most important area you need to address. If you haven't got some sort of back up system in operation then you are walking on a cliff edge without a hand rail. Its not a matter of if you fall off but rather when. I suggest you put up a handrail real quick, and while your at it get a climbing rope harness as well and make sure it's on tight. You must get your data backed up before you do anything else. If something does go wrong at this stage you will loose everything and you will be crying in your beer and muttering something to the effect... damn... if only I did... Just read through the Forum... there are lots of threads where people are in real desperate situations trying to recover lost data :eek:. Don't be an fool... do it NOW.

Wil ;)

Hobbel

Contributor
Flashed the AOC-2308L-L8E without problems. System seems to serve the iSCSI to ESXi 6 more reliable and "faster"

Hobbel

Contributor
There shouldn't be any noticeable difference in speed...

...it seems... It's not like 10MB/s throughput before and 100MB/s after. Just the ESXi 6 is not complaining anymore, that the performance/latency of the iSCSI targets decreased. ;)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
...it seems... It's not like 10MB/s throughput before and 100MB/s after. Just the ESXi 6 is not complaining anymore, that the performance/latency of the iSCSI targets decreased. ;)

Is that possibly a side effect of having rebooted something that was causing I/O load on the ZFS filer?

Hobbel

Contributor
Is that possibly a side effect of having rebooted something that was causing I/O load on the ZFS filer?
to be honest: this could be caused by everything :p
But I did several reboots before and this didn't change anything. So the firmware update was the last thing I changed - and of course the FreeNAS upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.