[11.3-U2] No mouse cursor in NoVNC

Stage5-F100

Dabbler
UPDATE:

Welcome!
If you're running FreeNAS 11.3-U1/U2 and your Ubuntu VMs have no cursor response in the noVNC tab and/or constant I/O errors, let me just cut to the chase: shut down your VM, go to VM devices, and edit the Disk to use VirtIO (instead of AHCI). Do the same for networking (Intel to VirtIO). Reboot, should be good. Changing your core count from an even to odd count may fix this as well. NOTE: this workaround seems to have a 50/50 shot of fixing the issue with Ubuntu on FreeNAS 11.3/bhyve.

Please post any symptoms, workaround, and any logs that may be helpful to the iX Jira ticket:
https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-105649

Original post:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

None of my Linux virtual machines have controllable mouse cursors in the NoVNC window.

This persists across reboots of the client, FreeNAS server, and through all browsers on multiple machines (Firefox, Chrome, Safari).

When Linux first boots, right at the start of the login/greeter screen, the client's "X" cursor will be visible, and the VM OS cursor will follow the client's. A few seconds later, the VM cursor will freeze in place.

This behavior happens on every VM, every time. I have created a new VM from scratch (Ubuntu) and verified that the behavior begins on the first reboot.

As of now, FreeNAS is not usable for anything other than SMB. Can't even configure VMs.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

EDIT: Some information about the Linux VMs

- Ubuntu 19.10 - latest updates, no cursor response in browser noVNC (cursor works fine in RealVNC and TeamViewer)
- Ubuntu MATE 19.10 - latest updates, no cursor response in browser noVNC (cursor works fine in RealVNC and TeamViewer)
- Ubuntu MATE 18.04 - latest updates, no cursor response in browser noVNC (cursor works fine in RealVNC and TeamViewer)
- Lubuntu 18.04 - latest updates, no cursor response in browser noVNC (cursor works fine in RealVNC and TeamViewer)

Installation settings: Live boot (noVNC cursor works at this time) --> Install with "minimal" programs, download updates --> reboot --> no cursors work

Have attempted to test with Manjaro, but that freezes on every boot (on all my FreeNAS rigs) at "started TLP system startup/shutdown" (I'll leave that for a future thread).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

History: I first noticed this problem a week ago, with 11.3-U1. I logged-on to a VM and noticed that I had no cursor. When I restarted it with no fix, I checked my other VMs and realized that I had no cursor control over any of them. Rebooted client, switched browsers, rebooted VMs, rebooted FreeNAS server with no fix. It's affected all of the VMs somehow.

Last edited:

Stage5-F100

Dabbler
An update for some other OSs, after some more troubleshooting:

Windows 10 Pro (unactivated,)
--> works fine. Latest updates. Cursor support in noVNC perfect across multiple reboots and software installs.

CentOS 8
--> installed just now with latest updates. Works fine, cursor support in noVNC perfect across software installs and multiple reboots

Ubuntu 19.10
--> live image boot, cursor support in noVNC perfect
--> minimal install *without* downloading updates --> cursor support in noVNC still perfect
--> post-installation reboot --> NO cursor support in noVNC, unable to login or configure anything. Same as the original post.

Ubuntu 18.04
--> live image boot, cursor support in noVNC perfect
--> minimal install *without* downloading updates --> cursor support in noVNC still perfect
--> post-install reboot --> cursor support in noVNC still perfect
--> after a few minutes, see this takeover the noVNC screen (related? who knows)
Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 13.45.32.png

Stage5-F100

Dabbler
I... am at a loss for words. Changing the core count fixes things. Changing Disk and Networking to VirtIO also fixes everything. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!

This must be something that changed in the way bhyve and Ubuntu interact, just... completely breaking everything with AHCI and/or ...even cores.

Yeah. Well. This is a valid workaround. Neato. :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Will append the below to the OP:

For the people finding this thread off Google/DuckDuckGo/Reddit;

Welcome! If you're running FreeNAS 11.3-U1/U2 and your Ubuntu VMs have no cursor response in the noVNC tab and/or constant I/O errors, let me just cut to the chase: shut down your VM, go to VM devices, and edit the Disk to use VirtIO (instead of AHCI). Do the same for networking (Intel to VirtIO). Reboot, should be good. Changing your core count from an even to odd count may fix this as well. No, as of this moment we have no idea why this fixes the issue with Ubuntu on FreeNAS/bhyve.

Stage5-F100

Dabbler
Cross-posting my update from Jira (will also update OP)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After what appeared to be a successful workaround with switching to VirtIO and odd core count, unfortunately all the cursor-freeze symptoms are back. Persists across reboots. Affects all of my Ubuntu VMs.

Running Software Update (regardless of 18.04/19.10 version tested) within Ubuntu appears to be a potential trigger, as in 2 of 3 test VMs it caused the cursor to freeze up on the next boot.

I can at least vouch that switching to VirtIO has fixed all of the constant Disk-I/O failure messages and read-only errors on TTY on every Ubuntu VM.

jmccl069

Cadet
I can at least vouch that switching to VirtIO has fixed all of the constant Disk-I/O failure messages and read-only errors on TTY on every Ubuntu VM.

I can confirm that I had exactly the same issues with cursors locking up and unresponsive GUI, etc... Running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS fully updated... Seemed to break with the 18.04.4 update...

Changed to VirtIO... Still running 2 cores... Reboot VM and all is good again... Been running now for about 10 hours without an issue...

Thumper3

Cadet
Any update on this? I am still unable to get mouse control. Using FreeNAS 11.3, was installing Ubuntu 20.04 in VM with AHCI and 6 CPUs (I have two 6 core Xeons installed) and had no mouse movement. Found this thread, edited to VirtIO and 7 CPUs and started VM, this time mouse moved about 6 inches, then stuck again. I completed install of OS with keyboard which does work, rebooted into desktop and mouse is in same position and will not move still.

Teeps

Dabbler
Any update on this? I am still unable to get mouse control. Using FreeNAS 11.3, was installing Ubuntu 20.04 in VM with AHCI and 6 CPUs (I have two 6 core Xeons installed) and had no mouse movement. Found this thread, edited to VirtIO and 7 CPUs and started VM, this time mouse moved about 6 inches, then stuck again. I completed install of OS with keyboard which does work, rebooted into desktop and mouse is in same position and will not move still.

this solution worked for me https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-105649?focusedCommentId=109597&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-109597

Linux is booted with the "pci=nomsi" parameter