No Mouse in noVNC for Linux

riegersn

Cadet
I'm unable to see my mouse cursor on my Ubuntu VM using noVNC. If I use the keyboard to get into accessibility and change the mouse pointer size the the largest option it shows up, but performance is seriously poor. Flickering and slow response. I've seen only a few post about this around the web, nothing that led to a resolution. This must not be normal or there would be more posts regarding it.

What can I check/test/install/configure to resolve this?

1685923022469.png

Whattteva

Wizard
Don't use noVNC. Instead, use the native VNC (vino? IIRC) that is pre-installed on the Ubuntu VM. It should be better.

riegersn

Cadet
A few new discoveries.
  • Switched to LibreWolf browser. When navigating to my TrueNAS host, the browsers asks if I'd like to allow HTML5 Canvas, when clicking "YES" I can view my mouse cursor!
  • However, I then loose the ability to enter characters that require SHIFT, like !@#$%^
  • When I disabled "privacy.resistFingerprinting" in the browser, I can type normal again but lose my mouse cursor.
Does anyone have any ideas or resolution?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
A few new discoveries.
  • Switched to LibreWolf browser. When navigating to my TrueNAS host, the browsers asks if I'd like to allow HTML5 Canvas, when clicking "YES" I can view my mouse cursor!
  • However, I then loose the ability to enter characters that require SHIFT, like !@#$%^
  • When I disabled "privacy.resistFingerprinting" in the browser, I can type normal again but lose my mouse cursor.
Does anyone have any ideas or resolution?

Does it work in Firefox? If so, use Firefox. If not, that's a bug. The problem with the various forks and branches of Firefox is that they each have their own quaint ideas about security countermeasures, often doing things that damage the ability of these complex VNC emulators to do their job.

Whattteva

Wizard
Yeah. I generally don't use non-mainstream browsers except for Chromium clones and Dillo (on a really weak old system that requires light footprint) really for this compatibility reason. Quite frankly, it's amazing that websites even still bother with Firefox compatibility because Chromium clones are like 90% of the browser market these days.

riegersn

Cadet
I have same issue using Windows Chrome but I can't figure out how to disabled resist fingerprinting. When using Firefox for Windows, I have to disable resist fingerprinting but end up with a messed up cursor, turns into a large box with rgb looking scan lines. Which annoyingly, I can't screenshot.

ULTIoNT

Dabbler
I am having the same issue with my Ubuntu VM. The mouse is clearly working except that the cursor is not being rendered. I can tell the position of my cursor to some extent by keep looking for animations but that is barely usable.