11=>12: plugin.available FAIL "child dataset with inherited mountpoint used in non-global zone"

RAND Pawl

Cadet
Hello, everyone.

This is my first post on the TrueNAS forums. I have a long history with FreeBSD, but it's never been my day job, so there are many gaping holes in my knowledge base.

Back in 2019, I had ambitions to consolidate my various LAN boxes onto a single TrueNAS server. I played around with iocage quite a lot at the time, but then the project was derailed by life, and the box sat there quietly for a long time doing not much more than network backups.

Yesterday I dusted it off again, and installed my first bhyve VM.

I made a ZVOL VM on my NVMe pool, installing FreeBSD 12 as the guest, with 4 cores, 8 GB RAM, 30 GB disk on internal ZFS.

This worked great. I got all the way to running startx and connecting with vncviewer from another FreeBSD box.

But there was one problem: it was receiving mouse-button inputs (observed with xev) but not actual mouse motion. I could see the cursor stuck in one place while my pointer tracked around. No matter what I tried xev only ever reported the one position. Enabling moused didn't solve the problem. Various weird mouse-related options on vncviewer did not solve the problem, either.

The initial purpose of this VM is to prototype a new desktop configuration for my main workstation before reinstalling FreeBSD from scratch. pkg is broken on my workstation right now (don't ask), and I can only install from ports. I need to test my new desktop elsewhere, surrounded by less pkg brokenness—but that's not the problem here.

Nor is my frozen mouse the problem here, though I'd be happy to hear any tips.

However, my frozen "tip" was the reason I rather peremptorily jumped from the 11 train to the 12 train late last night. I had by then read that there was a Ubuntu problem with mouse support over VNC a while back, and thought that maybe the principled fix lagged behind the surface fix. Perhaps under 12 it would simply go away.

The upgrade went smoothly. First to the end of the 11 train. All appeared well for the 60 s I scoped it out. And then to the 12 current. Unfortunately, my mouse problem did not go away.

But something else did happen, and it was not for the better.

In my task widget I'm now seeing multiple red issues, all pertaining to plugin.available, plugin.available_impl, or plug.plugin_updates:

Code:
Start Time: 2021-03-16 22:29:39
Finished Time: 2021-03-16 22:29:44
Error: [EFAULT] cannot inherit mountpoint for 'brig/iocage'
     : child dataset with inherited mountpoint is used in a non-global zone

That's the first of many, all alike.

I did find a post online that when FreeBSD imported the ZFS code, they used the old zone bit from Illumos for something actually to do with jails. The misleading "non-global zone" probably pertains FreeBSD jails.

I haven't looked into my abandoned iocage work for over a year now, but I can report two things without spelunking:
* my jails were originally on tanch before the brig mirror was installed
* I was experimenting at the time with poudriere which does use delegated ZFS, only it wasn't working quite right, and I messed around quite a bit with the delegation thing trying to bodge the problem. Who knows what iocage bits I might possibly have flipped when I started to peel the labels off the Rubik's cube in terminal frustration ...

For completeness, my present TrueNAS server is a delux scroungebox from mostly yesteryear.

Thinkstation D30 model 4223
64 GB qualified ECC RAM
single Xeon E5-26xx v1 with 12 cores
60 GB i330 SSD boot volume
2 × Seagate Constellation ES 500 GB — tanch mirror; very old, with beautiful small sectors
2 × Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe — brig mirror; mainly jails and VMs

In summary:

Main problem: plugin subsystem on my TrueNAS box is now completely inoperative due to the message above.

Secondary problem: I can't use my working FreeNAS 12 VM to configure a replacement desktop, because it's not tracking my mouse movements when accessed over vncviewer from a FreeBSD 12.1 box (though it does receive all mouse button events).

Note that given a choice, I'd resolve the secondary problem first, because it's more directly blocking my immediate path forward.

TIA for any pearls of sage wisdom.

Attached is the full text of the ZFSException raised whenever I attempt to use my plugin subsystem, post upgrade.

Attachments

• plugin-fail.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 137