Stop menu scrolling with mouse

ewwGross

Cadet
Hello all. This is my first post ever on the TrueNAS forums, but I've been a FreeNAS/TrueNAS user since 2017. Please forgive me if this is already being discussed somewhere, but I didn't find it in searches on these forums and through Internet search engines.

I would like to know if there's an easy way to stop the side menu panel from automatically scrolling while simply moving the mouse as the cursor hovers over the menu. When I hover the mouse over the menu panel, it will scroll up and down with the motion of the mouse, no clicking and dragging required. Not only does it scroll with just the mouse motion, but it remembers where the menu was and jumps back to that position when the cursor is removed and hovered over again. This makes accessing some of the menu functions very difficult, so I would like to disable this behavior.

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums as a poster!

My installs don't have the behaviour you report and I have never seen comment here to that effect either.

I'm assuming that this is a recent experience for you as you haven't commented until now since 2017? Did it begin after any change in either your TrueNAS install or your client machine and/or its software?

ewwGross

Cadet
This is not a just recent experience. It's been going on for some time now, I've just powered through it. I don't remember when it started, though it may have been around the time I underwent the transition to TrueNAS, but that's just speculation on my part.
I mostly access the webGUI from Chromium (not Chrome) on a Linux Mint VM running in MS Hyper-V. The NAS itself hasn't seen any hardware changes aside from normal disk replacement. It's currently running 13.0-U5.3 on a Supermicro board with an Intel Atom chipset.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've not observed this under macOS (Chrome or Firefox) or Windows (Firefox) with any version of TrueNAS. But for the sake of testing, I just installed Mint 21.2 in a VM, and Chromium in that VM, and I'm also seeing the behavior you describe. I don't see it with Firefox under Mint, nor do I see it on TrueNAS SCALE, so it seems to be something unique to the combination of TrueNAS CORE and the Chromium browser.

ewwGross

Cadet
Thanks for taking the time to test! I also tested and can confirm that Firefox on the VM doesn't produce the scrolling effect. I also installed Chrome proper, which does produce the effect.
I also tested through Chromium on a Linux Mint physical PC I have. To my surprise, it didn't produce the scrolling effect! This suggests to me that the cause is somewhere in the virtualization layer.

Griffey

Dabbler
Silly as a question may be. Did you try a different mouse? I'm asking as I'm going to assume it's just generic mouse drivers installed? I don't know. But I'm sure I'll learn something from this as well.