SOLVED Write/network speed low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
:(

Try a single large file. No small files at all.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Lets try this a different way...

Grab a copy of a hard drive benchmark program. CrystalDisk Mark is a nice free one. Make sure that you have a CIFS share available and mapped to your Windoze computer and then run the benchmark on it. Post the results.

What this does is take out any question about what you are doing and give us something more solid to work with. Windows speed transfers are not very reliable.

nachte

Dabbler
Lets try this a different way...

Grab a copy of a hard drive benchmark program. CrystalDisk Mark is a nice free one. Make sure that you have a CIFS share available and mapped to your Windoze computer and then run the benchmark on it. Post the results.

What this does is take out any question about what you are doing and give us something more solid to work with. Windows speed transfers are not very reliable.
Capture3.PNG

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well the Crystal Disk Mark test shows that you have very good reading speeds (BTW that is normal) but the writing speeds suck, as you are of course aware. Please post the output of "zfs list" so we can see how full your pool is. You may have hit the trigger that slows it all down if your pool is too full.

EDIT: Duh, you are only using 3%.

joeschmuck

Old Man

nachte

Dabbler
Look at this posting and just do Test 1. Post the results. This will tell you if the problem is within the FreeNAS system.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/intel-nic-vs-realtek-nic-performance-testing.10325/
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=tmp.dat bs=2048k count=50k                 
51200+0 records in                                                             
51200+0 records out                                                             
107374182400 bytes transferred in 18.020051 secs (5958594811 bytes/sec)         
[root@freenas ~]#                                                               
[root@freenas ~]# dd of=/dev/zero if=tmp.dat bs=2048k count=50k                 
51200+0 records in                                                             
51200+0 records out                                                             
107374182400 bytes transferred in 8.860491 secs (12118310919 bytes/sec)

joeschmuck

Old Man
That system if flying! Your not starving for bandwidth internally.

I'm at a loss. You changed the Ethernet cable which is what I first thought it might be. The FreeNAS pool is not even close to being full.

Please still post the output of "zfs list". I don't know if you have a lot of datasets and if one of those is full causing the issue. You have an odd problem.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

I'm at a loss. You changed the Ethernet cable which is what I first thought it might be. The FreeNAS pool is not even close to being full.

Please still post the output of "zfs list". I don't know if you have a lot of datasets and if one of those is full causing the issue. You have an odd problem.
This is very puzzling. Almost like he has synchronous writes set to 'always' on his pool.

nachte

Dabbler

Oh, i grabbed it earlier but forgot to add to the post :/
Code:
[root@freenas] ~# zfs list
NAME                                                    USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
freenas-boot                                           1.10G  52.7G    31K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT                                      1.09G  52.7G    25K  none
freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10.1                               1.09G  52.7G   615M  /
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install                         1K  52.7G   494M  legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/Wizard-2016-04-13_22:07:36              1K  52.7G   494M  legacy
freenas-boot/ROOT/default                               442K  52.7G   495M  legacy
freenas-boot/grub                                      12.7M  52.7G  6.33M  legacy
main                                                    379G  10.1T   192K  /mnt/main
main/.system                                           3.16M  10.1T   208K  legacy
main/.system/configs-411517dcdf2b43f3a96114fb41a9292c   192K  10.1T   192K  legacy
main/.system/cores                                     1.16M  10.1T  1.16M  legacy
main/.system/rrd-411517dcdf2b43f3a96114fb41a9292c       192K  10.1T   192K  legacy
main/.system/samba4                                     711K  10.1T   711K  legacy
main/.system/syslog-411517dcdf2b43f3a96114fb41a9292c    743K  10.1T   743K  legacy
main/Cosplay                                            341G  10.1T   341G  /mnt/main/Cosplay
main/Models                                            35.9G  10.1T  35.9G  /mnt/main/Models
main/PSD                                               1.76G  10.1T  1.76G  /mnt/main/PSD
main/Photos                                             192K  10.1T   192K  /mnt/main/Photos
main/jails                                              192K  10.1T   192K  /mnt/main/jails

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well storage isn't a problem. Sorry but right now I'm stumped. I would suggest you try a different computer to connect up to the NAS and try again. If you get the same results then you know it's not your windows computer, or reasonably can expect it's not. I will never say it's not something unless I have personally checked it out.

nachte

Dabbler
Well storage isn't a problem. Sorry but right now I'm stumped. I would suggest you try a different computer to connect up to the NAS and try again. If you get the same results then you know it's not your windows computer, or reasonably can expect it's not. I will never say it's not something unless I have personally checked it out.
It may actually be my pc that is the problem. I just hooked up my laptop, and there i'm getting transfer speeds of 95MB/S, so basically almost the full GB connection that is used o_O
I'm going to see if i can find anything about problems with that network card.

nachte

Dabbler
I'm actually starting to think that the problem comes from the fact that the card i'm using has no native win 10 driver, it's using the microsoft one.
Going to grab a different one tomorrow to test.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm actually starting to think that the problem comes from the fact that the card i'm using has no native win 10 driver, it's using the microsoft one.
Going to grab a different one tomorrow to test.
Forgive me if you've already said this in the thread, but what card do you have in your computer?

nachte

Dabbler
I switched the card for another one, and now i'm getting 110 MB/sec write speed :)
AAaaaand... the moment i opened the pc's case that "you are an idiot, haha ha ha ha" song started playing in my head... I har put a pure PCI card in there. That must have been the bottleneck.. Sorry for asking all these questions and using everybody's time with it, but at least i learned a few things from it =)

Thank you all for the help !!

nachte

Dabbler
One last question just popped into my mind, if i add a second network card to both machines, is it possible to use both connections for transfers? Someone suggested me that, but ha wasn't sure that Freenas <-> win 10 could handle that. Seeing that internally the array seems to be quite fast?

joeschmuck

Old Man
if i add a second network card to both machines, is it possible to use both connections for transfers?
I don't know of anyone who has actually been able to get it to work to double the throughput. You would be better to get 10Gb cards in each if you really need an increase in speed.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

nachte

Dabbler
I don't know of anyone who has actually been able to get it to work to double the throughput. You would be better to get 10Gb cards in each if you really need an increase in speed.
Ok, i was just wondering about the double gigabit solution, beause i can't seem to find 10gb ones under 200 per card. Which is a bit high for the number of times that i'll be using this. At +- 30 for two extra gb ones + cable i'd be ok with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.