Slow Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

smash

Cadet
I am at my wits end. I used to get 80 mb transfers in 8.02 I am now capped at about 11 mbs in 8.3

I have 12 gb of memory
Tyan dualie
So more than enough horsepower
I have a gigabit network and my windows server transfers at 200 mbs all day long on this network

I have tried
New Cable
New Intel Nic
All tweaks I could find on any board I could find
Just does not budge
Please help .

Caesar

Contributor
I'm new here so I not sure if I can help you but I do think that whoever can help you would need to know your transfer method, cifs, ftp, tftp. I doubt your using nfs or afp but it maybe helpful if you can test any or all of these if possible. perhaps you only have this slow speed with only one connection type and that itself would rule out a lot of possibilities.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, for starters.. running a hardware RAID5 can cause issues with ZFS. The manual clearly explains not to do this. It can also potentially cause performance issues for ZFS that cannot be fixed except by getting rid of the hardware RAID.

smash

Cadet
Thank you I will go there next. Or should I use ufs and keep benefits of hardware raid

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thank you I will go there next. Or should I use ufs and keep benefits of hardware raid

That's a choice you have to make depending on what you use the system for and how you feel about the benefits and detractors for the various options.

smash

Cadet
Cyberjock thank you! Bypassing controller made huge difference . Back to 80-90 Mb/s plus all ZFS goodies .

TDPsGM

Explorer
For what it is worth (to anyone who is looking and comes across this thread) I have had it where I am in the 85-95 Mb/s plus transfer speeds one day and the next it will be down around 10-12.

I can't explain it.

The ONLY thing I do to get it back up is to Re-boot FreeNAS and then the speeds are cranked right up again (doesn't matter if I am using FTP or CIFS shares - it just goes).

I would like to know why it out and out dies like that though.
If anyone has comments on that I'd love to hear them. For now I am glad that all I have to do is reboot to get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.