Need help finding cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

pschatz100

Guru
Replacing the hard drive, as I said I would, has produced a resilver with multiple checksum errors. Leading me to think I actually had multiple bad drives. I'm waiting for another replacement drive to arrive.
The reported hardware is what FreeNAS reports in the System Information view. Unless you expect me to take the computer apart, I don't remember any of the other specs. Is there a command I can run to get more information?
A most curious reply. You can bring up resilvering problems related to replacing a hard drive, yet you cannot tell us your hardware configuration. I would imagine that you are running unsupported hardware.

Good luck.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Copying the video to the MacMini and playing it directly off the local drive works perfectly, eliminating the MacMini, the video format, and the playback software. My router showed no other network traffic at the time. Leaving me to think it was a problem with the FreeNAS server. When I looked at the server, everything said it was working normally. So I asked here.
All you have proven is the MacMini can play the file format. You have not eliminated any networking issues. In order to eliminate the networking issues you would need to plug the MacMini directly into the FreeNAS system. Additionally the bitrate of the video and what kind of network you have plays into the issue. Even if you have a hard drive failure, hard drives are so much faster than the wired network so a drive problem so long as your pool is not gone should not affect the issue.

As for your signature line, it's a bit basic. You should post all your specs per the forum rules and yes you could take apart your computer case if needed. But first I'd do the direct connection to rule out a networking issue.

gpsguy

IIRC, you have 10 HDD's. Do you have 10 SATA ports on your mobo, using an additional controller, a mix of internal and USB or ???

We've seen people do all sorts of crazy stuff, so we can't assume you've configured the drives as we would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toadman

Guru
Copying the video to the MacMini and playing it directly off the local drive works perfectly, eliminating the MacMini, the video format, and the playback software. My router showed no other network traffic at the time. Leaving me to think it was a problem with the FreeNAS server. When I looked at the server, everything said it was working normally. So I asked here.

Yep, no problem asking. Trying to help debug.

It's still not clear that you've eliminated the streaming setup and/or the networking. Playing a file locally is totally different than playing something over the network off the server. The streaming software and the network have not been eliminated as issues.

When you say "streaming" does that mean you are pointing some playback software on the MacMini at a file on a network share? Or are you using some streaming server like Plex, or DLNA, or something else? If the former, ok there is no streaming server, but it could still be a network issue.

As an example, my FreeNAS runs fine. My Plex server runs fine as a VM with it's .vmdk hosted on FreeNAS and it accesses the media content on FreeNAS via a CIFS share. My hardwired clients play everything flawlessly. My wifi clients sometimes do not play high bitrate stuff without stuttering. It has nothing to do with the Plex server, the Freenas, or the client software. It's the network. My router doesn't show anything either. It's just obvious to me there is interference on the wifi such that its effective bandwidth is limited. So I turn down the quality level and voila! It plays just fine.

But yes, if you have pool errors, obviously fix those first. Then proceed to debug the rest.

orsonb

Dabbler
I want to thank everyone for their help. I have not had playback issues since I replaced the drive. I haven't gotten around to replacing the second drive, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Not that I am waiting to notice an issue to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.