Network transfer speed has dramatically decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehCrucible

Cadet
Greetings from Australia. Forgive me if I'm asking a naive question. I've had look through the forums and FAQs etc and to be honest I'm a little confused as to where to begin.

Background: Freenas 8.03 RELEASE. I'm running FN from a USB drive and have setup 8x 1TB Seagate Barracuda drives in RAIDz-2. Intel i3 CPU, 4GB RAM. No cache drive. I have been running this setup for over a year now, sharing to my primarily Windows network via CIFS.

Up until recently I have been transferring files through a gigbit network at (what I thought was a respectable) 70 - 80 MB/s. Seemingly overnight, my network transfer speeds have dropped significantly. Around 10MB/s. No change to hardware setup. And disks all read as Healthy in Freenas GUI.

I was hoping somebody could give me a few suggestions on where to start looking for a problem? I'm not after a free lunch, just some ideas. I don't know BSD very well although I am comfortable with terminal (had moderate experience with linux over the years). Is there some kind of command line network/disk diagnostic I can run?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

peterh

Patron
check for networking errors ( ifconfig -a; netstat -in ) check that the networking gear has the same
errorfree output, make shure it uses 1Gb speed.
Finally get ttcp ( i've prepared at ftp://ftp.manet.nu/pub/ttcp-freenas.tar ) untar
and use ttcp.static, it has been tested in 8.03) compilr ttcp.c in your favorite platform and run.
Using 65000 buffers you should get very close to 1Gb.

If networking is ok start diagnosing your disks. Zpool status is a good startingpoiny, examine syslog
( var/log/messages for suspicious messages). Finally make some local cp ( or even better
'dd' on the filers disks get load it and see if the disks perform as needed.

TehCrucible

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply. Thats a lot of information in one hit lol. I'll digest and have a crack tonight. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.