SOLVED Windows 10 FreeNAS Authentication Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRISKbaby

Cadet
Hello,
I am not sure this is really the right place, but from the text on the How-to section, one cannot simply post a solution without a moderator moving it. Also, this is my first post so I may be violating other rules in my ignorance.

I recently purchased the FreeNAS Mini - this was to hopefully save some time and energy on portions of the learning curve. After installing the shipped 4-4TB drives, I ran into many issues attempting to setup permission issues. I've dealt with permissions on Linux before so the issues I was running into puzzled me.

After quite a bit of searching and trial and error, I now have solved the two issues that came "pre-loaded" with the box. Note that one is not really the result of FreeNAS, but Windows 10.

Background:
I was not able to access password protected shares at all. I was only able to read/write data through "guest" protocols. What made this harder to debug is some shares would not work correctly even with "guest" protocols!

I have been attempting to fix this issue over the following FreeNAS releases:
- FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813
- FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511280648
- FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950

Issue #1 - The wizard, not sure which release (sorry), did not add the correct "default" VFS Objects to *all* of the CIFS shares, just to some.

After looking through the forums, it appears "aio_pthread" and "streams_xattr" are considered to be the default provided by the correctly functioning wizard. This was an easy update in the GUI to add those. This resolved the flakiness of accessing shares using the guest protocols.

Issue #2 - Windows 10 has some issues... I am using Windows 10 Home Version 10586.29. It appears that the password dialog box protocols have changed. Typically you can easily change domain by entering "<hostname>\<username>" as your username. This shows the domain changing in the dialog box, but has *NO IMPACT* on the actual username sent. W10 still attempts to use the local user name.

To solve this is a bit trickier - you have to use the Credential Manager.
Start -> type "Credential Manager"
Select Windows Credentials
Select "Add a Windows Credential"
Fill out the form using your servername (e.g. "FREENAS") as the "Internet or network address".

Now after setting up my group permissions per the linux norm, I can now access the private shares as I'd expect to be able to.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else! Good luck.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Issue #1 - The wizard, not sure which release (sorry), did not add the correct "default" VFS Objects to *all* of the CIFS shares, just to some.

After looking through the forums, it appears "aio_pthread" and "streams_xattr" are considered to be the default provided by the correctly functioning wizard. This was an easy update in the GUI to add those. This resolved the flakiness of accessing shares using the guest protocols.
I recall a samba mailing list post in which one of the head developers for the samba project stated that the "aio_pthread" VFS module doesn't actually work in FreeBSD. "streams_xattr" allows samba to store NTFS alternate data streams as FS extended attributes. Neither should have any bearing on guest access. On the other hand, changing these settings restarted the samba (CIFS) service , which is known to fix some types of authentication problems. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.