Windows 10 prompts credentials with IP but not hostname

l4tran

Cadet
I restarted my Freenas box the other day, after the restart I cannot access my shares by IP address example \\192.168.x.x. However access by hostname works. \\mynas.
Access through IP prompts for credential, even with the correct username and password it fails to connect. I've reboot many times, still no luck.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I restarted my Freenas box the other day, after the restart I cannot access my shares by IP address example \\192.168.x.x. However access by hostname works. \\mynas.
Access through IP prompts for credential, even with the correct username and password it fails to connect. I've reboot many times, still no luck.
Probably NTLM auth is being blocked for some reason (possibly a domain setting).

l4tran

Cadet
NTMLv1 is disabled in SMB services and is also disabled on my domain controller.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
NTMLv1 is disabled in SMB services and is also disabled on my domain controller.
Right. I meant NTLMv2. There are limited choices for authentication over SMB protocol. Basically modern OSes, you're looking at NTLMv2 and kerberos. As we all should know, kerberos auth does not work with IP addresses. If you've disabled NTLM entirely for your domain, then this is probably the reason why IP address is failing.

l4tran

Cadet
The domain server was not changed prior to freenas rebooting and it worked in the past. I've since made the following changes to domain local security policy. Please see attached. Still no luck.

Attachments

• ntml.JPG
    ntml.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 208

l4tran

Cadet
I setup a test shared folder on one of my windows machine and I was able to access it using IP address.