Windows (SMB) share - Hosts Allow does not work with hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioDS

Cadet
I'm configuring my first SMB share and thanks to the excellent documentation and other resources, I got the basic setup going in a matter of minutes.

The only setting that I'd still like to get working now is the "Hosts allow" option. My Windows box has a hostname "MarioDS-Windows" and IP "192.168.0.185".

When Hosts allow contains the IP (192.168.0.185), I can map the share as a network drive on Windows.
When Hosts allow contains the hostname (MarioDS-Windows), Windows gives "access denied" and asks for credentials.

I have created a user on the FreeNAS box with the same username and password as my Windows machine so authentication happens automatically in the working scenarios.

Any pointers please?

Regards,
Mario

Artion

Patron
Hi, maybe the FN box can not resolve the hostname of the client.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
To be a bit more specific. I believe that you can use one of the following for hosts allow:
  1. NIS netgroup / user
  2. DNS - FQDN
  3. IP address
(1) and (2) require that "hostname lookups" be checked under Services -> SMB, AND they require that you either have NIS or DNS properly configured on your network.

Overall, I think "hosts allow" is a sort of security bandaid, and it's one more thing to trip you up when trying to troubleshoot connectivity problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.