Do you have problems accessing FreeNAS with Windows 10?

ethereal

Guru
This is not really a thread asking for help, hopefully this can help some others.

I recently changed to Windows 10 because my new system is a Ryzen 5. I used to be able to access FreeNAS shares using Windows 10, then two days ago I stopped getting access with a generic can't access this share type error. It has taken me two days to get to the bottom of the problem. I don't think my setup is unique so hopefully this will help someone.

My FreeNAS shares using SMB and forces guest access. In Windows 10 version 1709 guest access in SMB2 is disabled by default. Prior to version 1709 everything still works.

This is what I had to do:-

https://serverfault.com/questions/888690/windows-10-cannot-access-network-shared-locations-or-drives

Within the latest “Windows 10 Fall Creators Update” the Guest access in SMB2 is disabled by default.

You can change this setting within your group policy settings.

Right click the Windows Icon at the bottom left of the task bar, or select the windows key + r

Within the run box, type “gpedit.msc”

Within the local Group Policy Editor, select “Administrative Templates”

Select “Network”

Select ”Lanman Workstation”

Double click “Enable Insecure guest logons” option

Tick the “Enable” option

Select OK

Last edited:

R.G.

Explorer
Would that it were so. :( Well, it's probably so, but not for my network. I'm currently chasing down why none of my machines can see my FreeNAS box any more.
I had a router die, and took this as the opportunity to put in a DD-WRT based one. Much hilarity ensued, but I finally tracked down and got all of the IP addresses modified. Now all the machines can ping one another and network accesses in the IP realm are right. FreeNAS machine then screamed that it could no longer access one of the drives in the array. Got out the spare drive, tore the machine down and thought - I know to reseat cables first. Reseated cables, and the drive came back up, no suspicious errors in SmartCtl.

Great! FreeNAS back into service. Except now some machines can't access the SMB shares on the NAS, and machine to machine shares are erratic. It's a mixed Win-10/Win-7/Win-XP bunch and a MacBook thrown in to make things interesting.

It seems like there has been a change in how Win 10 and possibly Win 7 share through SMB, disabling SMBv1 entirely and thus disabling the net mapping they used to do. I've just spent about 12 hours poring though enabling/disabling SMB on FreeNAS, Win-10 and Win-7. I can now do some machine to machine shares, but none of the windows machines even shows the FreeNAS machine as a possible share on the net. I've done all combinations of password protected/not, guest/not-guest/SMBv1 on/off, SMBv2/v3 on/off, pinging, registry editing, firewall disabling, and tossing a chicken over my left shoulder at midnight down at the crossroads.

I think it's a Windows thing, but honestly, I can't find it.

Within the latest “Windows 10 Fall Creators Update” the Guest access in SMB2 is disabled by default.

You can change this setting within your group policy settings.

Right click the Windows Icon at the bottom left of the task bar, or select the windows key + r

Within the run box, type “gpedit.msc”

Within the local Group Policy Editor, select “Administrative Templates”

Select “Network”

Select ”Lanman Workstation”

Double click “Enable Insecure guest logons” option

Tick the “Enable” option

Select OK

Long story short: A HUGE thanks!!! Your solution worked perfectly for me too!

Full story:
My Win 10 machine used to be able to connect to my FreeNAS smb share flawlessly, but after a total format & re-install of Win 10 (latest release, April 2018) I was getting the error 0x80070035 when trying to connect to \\192.168.my-nas-IP from Windows Explorer.
I tried connecting directly to the share, with \\192.168.my-nas-IP\share_name but I was getting the same error

Therefore,
I have increased the SMB log level to "Full" and from /var/log/samba4/log.smbd I was seeing the following errors:
[2018/09/08 11:20:59.086667, 3] ../source3/auth/check_samsec.c:399(check_sam_security)
check_sam_security: Couldn't find user 'MY-WIN10-MACHINE-USER' in passdb.
[2018/09/08 11:20:59.086712, 2] ../source3/auth/auth.c:332(auth_check_ntlm_password)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [MY-WIN10-MACHINE-USER] -> [MY-WIN10-MACHINE-USER] FAILED with err
or NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1

So I understood than, despite the fact the list of SMB share is browsable from guest, Windows 10 was anyway trying to authenticate on the FreeNAS box with my Win 10s box's U/P (which differ from the users set in the FreeNAS box).

Your solution that changes the Group Policy property for the guest access totally fixed the issue!

By the way, under "Network" in Windows 10, the FreeNAS box wasn't showing under the discovered devices. I had to install SMB v1 support under Programs & Functionalities --> Add/remove Windows features --> Tick client, untick server
and then it started showing up in the Network browser.

chorlorlor

Cadet
I recently experienced this issue after upgrading my system from 9.10 to 11.2 RC-1.

In order to resolve this issue, I went to the SMB settings under Services and noticed that my freenas IP address was not checked in the list of IP address SMB will listen for.

After checking this option box and saving my change, all worked well again.

otpi

Contributor
Maybe I dumb, but I added a user with the same username/password as my win10 machine and changed ownership of my smb share to this new user. And it works.

I did not want to enable smb v1 again. I assume microsoft disabled smb v1 for a reason (security, afaik), and I like feeling secure...

MAC_Addy

Dabbler
Maybe I dumb, but I added a user with the same username/password as my win10 machine and changed ownership of my smb share to this new user. And it works.
I did read somewhere that some people needed to do this to access shares. This isn't all that great for security.

otpi

Contributor
Which isn't all that great for security? Adding a user/password in freenas matching the windows one. Or, enabling smbv1?

KarolKo

Cadet
I really wonder how this solution could have resolved the issue, when the "unset" value defaults to "Enabled".

Just read the description in Group Policy Editor for this setting.

Mark_the_Red

Dabbler
Anybody else figure this out? I don't have Lanman workstation settings options in the OP as an option. I cannot access the Freenas share drive from my LAN. It says its there, but it keeps asking me for login information. Tried every possible User Password combination I have ever used in my life on Windows. Also tried binding / unbinding LAN IP adresses of my LAN, local computer, etc. etc.

Why is this so hard? The youtube videos do not show how to circumvent this problem. Am I the only person who needs to access a NAS from a Windows 10 machine (full updated). I have the latest 11.2 RC freenas server running on a approved hardware server...

otpi

Contributor
I use win10 and FN 11.2, no problems, but I do remember having trouble after a certain win pacth: Afaik it is a windows "issue", they dropped support for an old smb version (v1?) for security reasons. I solved the "problem" by creating a freenas user matching my windows user/password. This freenas user owns my smbshare. Others have enabled support for old smb (it's somewhere in the windows settings), or maybe it was allowing guest access. I only vaguely remember, but there was something that made windows try to connect with windows credentials even if the share allowed guest access... which is why you may see the share, but still not be able to connect.

ancil5

Cadet
Anybody else figure this out? I don't have Lanman workstation settings options in the OP as an option. I cannot access the Freenas share drive from my LAN. It says its there, but it keeps asking me for login information. Tried every possible User Password combination I have ever used in my life on Windows. Also tried binding / unbinding LAN IP adresses of my LAN, local computer, etc. etc.

Why is this so hard? The youtube videos do not show how to circumvent this problem. Am I the only person who needs to access a NAS from a Windows 10 machine (full updated). I have the latest 11.2 RC freenas server running on a approved hardware server...

Do you use accounts with passwords on your FreeNAS or have you enabled the guest access? If you have accounts with passwords you'll probably have to enable SMB1 in both FreeNAS and in Windows.

Can any of the experienced users explain why this is? I get that Microsoft shut down the guest access starting from SMB2 and that they've disabled SMB1 by default because it's not a safe protocol. Still I don't understand why you won't get Windows 10 (at least starting with one of the updates) to connect to FreeNAS with different credentials in SMB2 or higher. From what I've read the connection only works when you enable the insecure guest login in Windows 10 and allow guest access in FreeNAS or create a similar user / password pair on both Windows and FreeNAS. Both options seem to have their security issues as well ...

alexisr73

Explorer
Hi, with few months late, I have this issue too.

I'm actually trying to access a shared dataset as guest from a Win10 version 1909 (Freenas server 11.2 U7 version) but it's still asking me for credentials.

I spent some hours to analyse SMB exchanges between my computer and the server with Wireshark, thinking it would come from Samba protocole mismatch. But it doesn't seem so ...

Here what I'v done :
- Both client-server are negociating Samba 3 protocol even if I Samba 1 and 2 are disabled (it doesn't change anything)
- I have set "AllowInsecureGuestAuth" registry key to 1, I also enabled """ Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\LanmanWorkstation "Enable insecure guest logons" """, but still not better
- I even try to reactivate SMB1 (disabled by default as said)

My GF, accessing the share from her Mac, doesn't have any f*cking problem.

So my computer still doesn't have access to my server as guest using SMB protocol, but she is besides she's using a MacOs system. And now I'm experiencing some mental diseases o_O

By the way, if I give root credentials (because I didn't create any other user on the server), it's working.

Mark_the_Red

Dabbler
^^^
The only way I could get this to work was to reinstall FreeNAS and create a Guest Only SMB / share dataset called Media. Meaning I checked the "Only Allow Guest Access".

I also changed the user / group to nobody / nobody or guest / guest ( I forget) and am not sure if that made it any easier. Windows seems to like this (never asks for me for credentials), much faster to connect the Network Drive on reboot and has solved a lot of my problems on other fronts (nVidia shield accessing the files).

For the network security folks, this post will make them faint as my Media folder is completely wide open but I don't really care.

alexisr73

Explorer
I'd already test it actually and it wasn't better for me ...

I feel like someone who cannot deal with permissions but yesterday I even tried to create a new test dataset, allowing access to a group Owner previously created with a simple user in it. And it wasn't working too. I just followed the entire tutorial considering that I probably messed up something but it's not.

I'll try to reboot server multiple times as you suggest, it may help.

woods

Dabbler
same problem here :D

EDIT:

Haven't got the faintest idea of what is going on but this video fixed it for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WmCxriHEjE

I'm playing around with all the different settings to figure out what the problem is. I got it working but I'm not sure this is secure.

Last edited:

alexisr73

Explorer
Well, on my side I finally got the right rights mix to allow access to my Windows computer and my girlfriend's MacOs.

I didn't manage to connect as guest using Windows so I resigned myself to create a Powershell script that automatically maps my drives at session setup using specific credentials.

woods

Dabbler
is that a script on the windows machine or in freenas? Care to elaborate?

I got it working by randomly twisting "knobs" until it worked but I have no idea WHY

alexisr73

Explorer
It a script directly on my Windows laptop. I chose to make a script to map and unmap drives using config file (can easily add or remove drives that I want to map at session setup) because I can handle the server in shutdown state case. It's pretty transparent for me and my gf still have guest access as well ...