Do you have problems accessing FreeNAS with Windows 10?

BeepDog

Dabbler
I too am having this problem. It's showing up like this:
  1. I'll log in to my windows box, using local username and password.
  2. Things work fine for a while.
  3. Usually within 12-24 hours, this windows computer will lose access to the NAS drives.
  4. I have to log out/log back in to get it working again.

I'll get errors like: "The account is not authorized to log in from this station"

My Freenas is configured to talk to a Samba Active Directory system, because that was the easiest way, or so I thought, to try to centralize authentication on my network. The drives map perfectly initially, they just seem to expire after a while, and then they don't work any more. It's a terribly confusing error, and it only seems to show up on my desktop itself.

cwdonoghue

Cadet
Hi! This worked for me and I just wanted to thank the OP.

Here is a little info on my issue that may help others. Set up FreeNAS a few months ago. Was able to access SMB share on 1 desktop and 2 laptops running Windows 10 Home. Bought a new desktop that had Windows 10 Pro. New desktop couldn't access SMB share on FreeNAS. Tried at least 5 other solutions and was stuck for about a week before I found this solution. Thanks again!!

geoffwhere

Contributor
Hi! This worked for me and I just wanted to thank the OP.

Here is a little info on my issue that may help others. Set up FreeNAS a few months ago. Was able to access SMB share on 1 desktop and 2 laptops running Windows 10 Home. Bought a new desktop that had Windows 10 Pro. New desktop couldn't access SMB share on FreeNAS. Tried at least 5 other solutions and was stuck for about a week before I found this solution. Thanks again!!
Your post seems to be my last hope - i've tried all of the solutions with zero success, overload frustration and finally came to your May 21 post, BUT: when you said "This worked for me and I just wanted to thank the OP", which one was it that worked for you?

geoffwhere

Contributor
Thanks for your informative and helpful reply. I was aware that OP meant 'Original Post' and I had tried the remedy, in that post dated September 11 2012, to no avail. I had also followed the link in that post to Serverfault.com which had the following suggestion:

The accepted answer works by lowering the security on the client side. It is not enforcing the restriction in Windows 10 / Windows Server which was added for security purposes. It requires adjusting each of your clients.
On the other hand, the real answer is to raise the security on the server side and remove any mapping to guest accounts
ADD THESE LINES [global] client min protocol = SMB3 client max protocol = SMB3 restrict anonymous = 2 encrypt passwords = true REMOVE

• the map to guest option (which I had as bad user)
  • any 'guest ok' line in your smbd.conf
restart samba and you'll be prompted for a username/password instead.

Being a novice, which is why I came to this Forum for help in the first place, when I saw the above post I had no idea what SAMBA is other than a Latin American dance, so I was unable to try that suggested solution. Into the bargain, I'm a dancer with two left feet.
Perhaps somebody who undertands how a novice like myself needs a bit more detail and guidance, than others who may know these commands like the back of their hand, might be willing to help resolve this issue.
Thanks in advance to whoever that person may be.

Fredda

Guru
I was aware that OP meant 'Original Post'
I got the impression you did not.
I had tried the remedy, in that post dated September 11 2012
The post is dated March 19th, 2018.

At that time I followed that instructions and it worked out for me perfectly.

But currently I can't check if it still works, if you take a look, there is a followup by the OP to the topic:

So there is a chance it does not work anymore. Especially if you considering anodos answer.
I had no idea what SAMBA is other than a Latin American dance, so I was unable to try that suggested solution
SAMBA = Open Source implementation of the SMB protocol.
Code:
[root@server] ~# pkg info| grep samba
samba-nsupdate-9.8.6_1         nsupdate utility with GSS-TSIG support
samba49-4.9.18                 Free SMB/CIFS and AD/DC server and client for Unix

Last edited:

geoffwhere

Contributor
The post is dated March 19th, 2018.
Thanks for making the effort to respond to my dilemma. I've searched up and down this thread and can't find a post dated March 19 2018 that you've referenced. Either I'm just plain stupid, or i'm mising something very simple.
But I'm stuck, in that everything I've tried both in this Forum and in Windows 10 discussions, hasn't resolved the fact that i can't get my Windows 10 PC to map to my FreeNAS storage, but it's got no problem mapping to 2 other single bay NAS drives, as well as allowing access to the Flex Server which happens to run on the FreeNAS Server.
It's not only frustrating me to no end, but it's also jeopardising the integrity of my backups and my ability to transfer photos and music to the FreeNAS Server media server.
It was working fine until 2 recent events: a Windows update and installation of the PRTG Network monitor tool (which was only a curiosity experiment - but I've been assured by the Paessler people that PRTG is not the guilty culprit).
I've done things like enable SMB1 (whatever that means), turned Windows Features on (via Control Panel) and several other 'solutions', all to no avail.
To be clear, I have neither the appetite nor the skill/knowledge to tackle FreeBSD Linux commands. But I'm more than willing to follow clear guidance that doesn't assume I know the deep technical aspects of doing things like "restarting samba" - I don't know what that entails and geting down into the weeds like that invariably gets me into deeper trouble.
I just want my PC set back to where it was only a few weeks ago to eliminate the cause of the problem, working fine with FreeNAS shared storage mapped to Windows.
If you can point me somewhere I can find out how to achieve that I'd be eternally grateful.

Fredda

Guru
Thanks for making the effort to respond to my dilemma. I've searched up and down this thread and can't find a post dated March 19 2018 that you've referenced. Either I'm just plain stupid, or i'm mising something very simple.
This is the very first post in this thread:
It was working fine until 2 recent events: a Windows update and installation of the PRTG Network monitor tool (which was only a curiosity experiment - but I've been assured by the Paessler people that PRTG is not the guilty culprit).
I've done things like enable SMB1 (whatever that means), turned Windows Features on (via Control Panel) and several other 'solutions', all to no avail.
I would guess it's the Windows update fault.
To be clear, I have neither the appetite nor the skill/knowledge to tackle FreeBSD Linux commands. But I'm more than willing to follow clear guidance that doesn't assume I know the deep technical aspects of doing things like "restarting samba" - I don't know what that entails and geting down into the weeds like that invariably gets me into deeper trouble.
Restarting samba means in context of FreeNAS to go to the services and disable/enable the SMB service.
I just want my PC set back to where it was only a few weeks ago to eliminate the cause of the problem, working fine with FreeNAS shared storage mapped to Windows.
If you can point me somewhere I can find out how to achieve that I'd be eternally grateful.
Disbale the [ ]Allow guest access option and create a dedicated user to connect to FreeNAS.

geoffwhere

Contributor
This is the very first post in this thread:

I would guess it's the Windows update fault.

Restarting samba means in context of FreeNAS to go to the services and disable/enable the SMB service.

Disbale the [ ]Allow guest access option and create a dedicated user to connect to FreeNAS.
Thanks in bundles for your kind assistance. I'm sorry to seem so uninformed, but where do I disable the [ ] Allow guest access option? (is that a Windows or FreeNAS setting?)

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks in bundles for your kind assistance. I'm sorry to seem so uninformed, but where do I disable the [ ] Allow guest access option? (is that a Windows or FreeNAS setting?)
It's a FreeNAS setting. Sharing --> Windows Shares (SMB) --> Your Share --> Edit --> Advanced Options

You must have enabled that one time in the past - it's not the default. :wink:

HTH,
Patrick

geoffwhere

Contributor
It's a FreeNAS setting. Sharing --> Windows Shares (SMB) --> Your Share --> Edit --> Advanced Options

You must have enabled that one time in the past - it's not the default. :wink:

HTH,
Patrick
Dear Patrick, here's the screenshopt of my SMB Shares Advanced Options - the Guest Access wasn't enabled (so this miust not be the cause of my problem):
1593753546374.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
OK then - I just wanted to point you to the right menu. I don't use Windows and so obviously have no clue what your problem might be.

Well, some guesses ;-)

Since you do not have guest access enabled, did you create a user on FreeNAS ("Accounts" menu) for your share? Did you set a password for that account? Did you assign this account in the dataset permissions *and* the share ACLs?

There's documentation here:

HTH,
Patrick

geoffwhere

Contributor
OK then - I just wanted to point you to the right menu. I don't use Windows and so obviously have no clue what your problem might be.

Well, some guesses ;-)

Since you do not have guest access enabled, did you create a user on FreeNAS ("Accounts" menu) for your share? Did you set a password for that account? Did you assign this account in the dataset permissions *and* the share ACLs?

There's documentation here:

HTH,
Patrick
create a user on FreeNAS ("Accounts" menu) for your share? Yes, I've been over this setting dozens of times without any luck. just now i reset the User and password again, also checking the 'Apply User' box. Still no effect, all I get when trying to map the drive is the error message "The specified network pasword is not correct", even though I'm entering the password I'd just reconfirmed for the FreeNAS User.
Did you set a password for that account? Did you assign this account in the dataset permissions *and* the share ACLs. Same as above, also with selecting the recursive option including child data sets. When I select 'Edit Permissions', the system defaults me to 'Edit ACL' because the "dataset has active complex ACLs".
Very puzzling, but again thank you for your attempts to get me out of this bind. Albeit futile so far.

h|device

Cadet
Anybody else figure this out? I don't have Lanman workstation settings options in the OP as an option. I cannot access the Freenas share drive from my LAN. It says its there, but it keeps asking me for login information. Tried every possible User Password combination I have ever used in my life on Windows. Also tried binding / unbinding LAN IP adresses of my LAN, local computer, etc. etc.

Why is this so hard? The youtube videos do not show how to circumvent this problem. Am I the only person who needs to access a NAS from a Windows 10 machine (full updated). I have the latest 11.2 RC freenas server running on a approved hardware server...

I also didn't have 'Lanman workstation' showing as a parameter under [Administrative Templates\Network]. But under [Administrative Templates] there was [All Settings] and I found '“Enable Insecure guest logons” in there, which I enabled. Once that was done, the 'Lanman Workstation' parameter became available as described above but I no longer needed to do anything more with this.

But doing the above still didn't work.. so I tried the registry setting. (Note that I had already enabled CIF support in 'Windows Programs & Features').

When I went to do the registry setting, the registry key did not exist. So in [Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
I created a new REG_DWORD(32bit) and called it 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' and then I double clicked it and set its hexidecimal value to 1.

Then I was able to map to the TrueNAS share without an issue.

***However I think all these changes do erode your security and I later someone in the forum had perhaps provided the right way to address this: