SOLVED Can access password protected CIFS share from Linux, but not Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaseg

Dabbler
I set up a new shared CIFS folder with a user name and password. The share shows up in Linux and Windows when browsing, and both correctly bring up a password prompt when attempting to access it. I have zero issues connecting from my Linux machine (and can create files, etc), but any Windows 10 machine brings up an error after attempting to login:

\\NAS\myshare is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

The error given in the FreeNAS syslog is:

create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

On Windows, I have tried logging in as username as well as WORKGROUP\username (which is the FreeNAS Samba workgroup, as well as all the other computers on the network).

For what its worth, I've never had any trouble with my CIFS guest shares (no password) since I built this box 6+ months ago.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I set up a new shared CIFS folder with a user name and password. The share shows up in Linux and Windows when browsing, and both correctly bring up a password prompt when attempting to access it. I have zero issues connecting from my Linux machine (and can create files, etc), but any Windows 10 machine brings up an error after attempting to login:

\\NAS\myshare is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

The error given in the FreeNAS syslog is:

create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

On Windows, I have tried logging in as username as well as WORKGROUP\username (which is the FreeNAS Samba workgroup, as well as all the other computers on the network).

For what its worth, I've never had any trouble with my CIFS guest shares (no password) since I built this box 6+ months ago.

There was a flawed "how-to" guide in the forums until about a month ago that advised checking the "Disable password login" box for Guest Users. Doing this randomly breaks guest authentication for some CIFS clients. If you've checked the box, uncheck it and set a password for your guest user.

kaseg

Dabbler
BRISKbaby, your workaround is a no go for me. I added the credential in Windows, and it still fails to connect to the share. The password prompt looks a bit different (no longer says anything about the domain), but I cant connect to the share. You might be on to something if Windows 10 is sending login usernames in a weird format, though.

Anodos, I'm not sure you understand my problem -- I don't have any trouble with my guest shares. I don't even have an account named "guest", the datasets for my guest shares are owned by the user "nobody". The trouble I'm having is connecting to a new share owned by a named user with a defined password. Again the problem here seems to be in some implementation differences between Samba and Windows 10 -- my Linux machines can connect to this new password-protected share just fine, my Windows 10 machines can't. None of my users have "Disable password login" set to true.

kaseg

Dabbler
Well, I spoke too soon -- BRISKbaby's fix did work, it just required the Windows machine to be restarted for some reason.

I'm going to mark this as solved and chalk it up to a Windows bug or quirk.

Status
Not open for further replies.