What kind of Switch runs in your network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprouvos

Dabbler
HP Procurve 2524 (J4813A) 10/100 with a gige uplink to the HP Procurve 2824 (J4903A) 10/100/1000 with a 'custom' cooling setup on the 2824 (the stock 60mm fans were crazy loud).

I've got the same switch it is indeed crazy loud for home use, can you elaborate on what you did to shut it up?
It is a great performer though.

Thanks.
Jonathan.

BossyBear

Dabbler
HP ProCurve 3400cl retrieved from the scrap pile at work.

JDCynical

Contributor
I've got the same switch it is indeed crazy loud for home use, can you elaborate on what you did to shut it up?
It is a great performer though.

Thanks.
Jonathan.
Well, there are two options:

• On ebay, there is a seller offering a 'quiet fan kit' that is a drop in replacement for the stock fans. The model of the fans isn't really shown, so I can't make a direct comparison on static pressure, CFM's, and so on.
  • Cobble together a substitute lid, a custom fan 'wiring harness' that will attach the RPM sensor lines to all three headers, and a 120mm fan designed for 'silent operation'
I did option two using an inexpensive 120mm fan and various parts I had laying around. Fan is, more or less, centered over the logic board and it moves enough air to keep things cool. The 'harness' pulls power from one header (the replacement fan uses less power than a stock fan) and splits the RPM line to go into the remaining headers to make the hardware monitoring system believe that all three fans are running and not raise an alarm.

A kind of ghetto solution to be sure, but it's been working for several years now and was really cheap to implement, which was really important at the time. If I had to do it again in the current time period, I'd probably just source some quieter fans as it would be easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.