What kind of Switch runs in your network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike360x1

Contributor
Hi Guys,

So, I currently have a 8 Port consumer grade managed switch and I have ran out of connections.
I am planning on using Link aggregation for my FreeNAS machine and I have (unrelated to FreeNAS) purchased some gaming hardware to use in the house. I'm looking for a bit of an upgrade, I have searched online for >10 Port switches and they're all quite expensive, 120$+. I assume that not very many casual home users have any need for >8 port switches and so most of the options >8 port get exponentially expensive cause its no longer consumer level?

So, with that said, I am looking for a managed Gigabit switch. I suppose if I have, I can drop 100$+ on a switch. What are some great options out there for this type of network?

Thanks in advance,
Michael L.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I use a couple of the old DLink DGS-1224T models. They are pretty cheap to get on eBay and I haven't had any issues to speak of. May not be "upper class" stuff but works great from my vantage point.

What are you looking to do with Link Aggregation? For most; it is not even worth considering...

Edit: Added link to to "LACP ... friend or foe?"

Last edited:

ttabbal

Dabbler
If you want freenas to go faster, get an LB4M switch and a supported 10gb NIC. Then be disappointed by the array speed. :) It's a viscous circle.

Lets see...

I have two dlink dgs-108's, a netgear X6 R8000 in AP mode, a dlink dgs 2205 and a netgear g605av.

The X6 R8000 is mainly just an AP for the wireless clients but I do use it as a switch when I am working on some computers.

Mlovelace

Guru
For home I have:
Asus RT-N66U for wireless
Cisco SG300-10MP 10 port managed 1gbe switch
Dell Sonicwall TZ215 firewall

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Cheapo tplink switch and a tplink Archer c7 as router/switch. Nothing fancy.

INCSlayer

Contributor
another one with a cheapo tplink switch here. I have like 4 of them lying around the place but im currently only using one of em

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Unless we are talking about engine oils...
How's that funny? It's depressing to think my car is going to need an oil change, sooner or later.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

adrianwi

Guru
I've got a Netgear GS108T sat on top of my FreeNAS box and a couple of Netgear GS105UK at strategic locations in the house, all connected with CAT5e or better.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I use a Dell PowerConnect 2816 that I picked up for $60 on eBay. The interface is a little cumbersome, but I was able to set up 4 & 2 port LAG groups for use with both FreeNAS and VMware ESXi (on Supermicro X8SIE-4LNF and X10SL7-F mobos).

I've used a Netgear GS108Tv2 managed switch with LACP groups, too.

You could keep your current switch and link it with either of these two to gain more ports.

Last edited:

AlainD

Contributor
A few basic options:

Place a second cheap switch (even 5 port), connect both and move all lower bandwidth connections to that second switch.

If you want to play with some more advanced capability's : add a netgear GS108Tv2 and use that as you're "most important switch.

Add a edgerouter X to get more router possibilities and a 4-port switch. That way you can do more advanced routing to the internet and add 3 ports.

maglin

Patron
I recently picked up a HP Procurve 6108 8 port switch for $35. Pulls about 20 watts and is connected to my RT-66U. When I need more ports I'll just replace the 6108 with a 24 port version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCynical

Contributor
HP Procurve 2524 (J4813A) 10/100 with a gige uplink to the HP Procurve 2824 (J4903A) 10/100/1000 with a 'custom' cooling setup on the 2824 (the stock 60mm fans were crazy loud).

I bought a Netgear GSM7228PS to use as the back bone of my 10G network (2 SFP+ ports, 1 for the NAS and one for my workstation). I got it for a steal on ebay and was happy because it had the POE ports to use with IP Cameras.

Then luck would have it...My job was decommissioning a Netgear switch that had a boat load of SFP+ ports. I didn't know what model it was or why they were taking it out other than I could have it for free. Turns out it was a XSM7224. Way cool! Problem is it didn't work, or at least it didn't power on at all. Explains why they were getting rid of it. I figured since I got it for free I could invest some time into getting it to work or at the very least gutting it. Well after checking just about everything I could, I decided to replace the power supply. Much to my surprise it powered on and then even more to my surprise, it seemed to work at least on the copper ports and 1g speeds.

I haven't been able to fully test it since I'm still building/working on my freenas, but here's to hoping it actually works! My current plan going forward is now to use the 2SFP+ ports on the GSM7228 as up-links to the XSM7224 and have the XSM as the backbone of the network.

V4M

Dabbler
Some time ago I had run three 8 port gigabits (Planet GSD-803), and Mikrotik RB800 as main wifi, router, fw, dhcp, etc.

Now when my laziness was defeated, and I menage to place new cables from all devices to one place I have, old 3Com 3c1671600 switch (cost me 10$), and Fritz!BOX 7490 as router.

Much improvements, in lan speed, AC wifi, ipsec vpn, etc.

I have thoughts about trunking NAS, but maybe it has point in office use, when you have multiple clients (Trunk will not increase speed for single client, it will allow two clients to reach 1Gbps throughput).

For example our perforce server is trunked, and all proxy/replicas also.

Maybe in these yer I will get founds to get 10Gbps gear. But first I need upgrade main array, for now I have ~400MB/s read/write.

In home?

I doubt there will be many, situations when you will need such improvement.

VictorR

Contributor
Netgear XS728T 24-port 10GbE

Status
Not open for further replies.