How do you 'divy' up your network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
I'm debating on ways to 'divy' up my network so I can remember all the IP addresses easier. I know some of you use managed switches, some do not. I am currently just using a dumb switch until I can get everything setup the way I like it, then I can work on a managed switch and have things in VLANs.

192.168.1.1 - ISP router

192.168.2.x
2.1-2.5 - Network Devices
2.6-2.20 - Physical Servers
2.21-2.35 - Management NIC (IPMI and iDRAC)
2.36-2.50 - Virtual Machines
2.51-2.100 - DHCP for devices

Wondering if I am missing anything.

Speaking of VLANs, for those of you using managed switches, do you use VLANs to separate out your devices? (ie server management ports, servers, VMs, etc)

tvsjr

Guru
If VLANs are your goal, you should separate things along CIDR boundaries. You can go back and change subnet masks later. Of course, if you were security-paranoid, once you lump things together into one network, you would probably consider them tainted.

I personally have about 2 dozen VLANs running around at home... but I run separate wired and wireless networks for known users/devices (802.1X) versus guest, an untrusted network for anything I can't inspect (Nest thermostats, Tivos, etc.), multiple storage networks, a 3-tier hosting environment, etc.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I already talked about my home network a long time ago but in short I use this:
  • .1 to .9 for servers
  • .11 to .19 for PCs
  • .21 to .29 for VMs
  • .31 to .39 for TV and other media things
  • .41 to .49 for jails
  • .51 to .59 for DHCP
Of course you can use bigger ranges (like .1 to .19 for example) if you need more than 9 IPs in that range.

I purposely avoid the .10, .20, ... IPs because the .0 isn't usable and I don't want exceptions (makes things easier to remember if rules are followed to the letter).

Status
Not open for further replies.