Teaming with Freenas - New Network Switch - advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

messerchmidt

Explorer
Hi,

Currently building a new freenas box on a supermicro board with multiple nics. My main PC also has multiple intel nics. I want to use teaming on both ends to increase transfer speeds. I currently have an el cheapo Dlink 8 port gigabit green switch. I need something with more ports.

This is for a home + home office network.

Was looking at a 16 switch. Apparently for teaming to work properly on both send and receive, a smart/managed switch is necessary - is this correct?

Is the Dlink DGS-1100-16 (http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DGS-1100-16) sufficient?

or should I go for something more expensive such as a netgear managed layer 2, etc?

Netgear M4100-D12G (http://support.netgear.com/product/M4100-D12G+$28GSM5212v1h1$29)

Please advise

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
You might want to do more reading on LACP to see if it will meet your needs. Unless you have many machines or network flows, I fear your Main PC won't see a boost.

messerchmidt

Explorer
any suggestions on a model to get? the Netgear M4100-D12G seems to be reasonably priced. I can use it for the PCs,etc and if needed connect it to my old 8 port for my networked HP printer,etc

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think you need to read up on LACP bro. It doesn't work how you think it will, and you sadly won't get 2Gb/sec with 2 NICs, 3Gb/sec with 3 NICs, etc.

I learned this lesson the hard way... spent $800 on hardware only to realize it didn't do what I wanted.

messerchmidt

Explorer
Ok did some more reading. Nevertheless, I do not mind spending money once right versus wrong many times....learned that the hard way.

The Netgear M4100-D12G looks like what I am going to getting regardless. Found it for 212$ cdn + tax, and including shipping.

On another forum, they suggested a Quanta LB4M 48p gbE + 2x 10gbE sfp+ switch off ebay for under $300 shipped. It is too big and loud my office/needs. If I had a tech room here that everything was wired into same, I would probably go for it. Here, and at the moment, not so much.

The Quanta LB4M off ebay looks like an idea switch for a larger operation. Would defiantly be the switch to get for you larger operation freenas heads. Its the switch version of the ebay perc 5/i or ibm raid card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.