Connection to my FreeNas server very slow

manslipkorn

Cadet
Hello everybody,

I'm here today because I noticed transfers through Samba were very VERY slow.

When I copy files from my computer to my FreeNas server, the transfer speed is 1 Mio/s.
But, when I copy files from my FreeNas server to my computer, the transfer speed is 33.7 Mio/s (which is better but not crazy actually considering my network equipment on both ends is Gigabit network)

Then, just to make sure this is not a problem on my network, I ran some IPerf tests.
Here are the results :
From my computer to my FreeNas server = 0.0-10.1 sec | 10.4 MBytes | 8.59 Mbits/sec
From my FreeNas server to my computer = 0.0-10.1 sec | 1.09 GBytes | 932 Mbits/sec

My hardware :
- FreeNas server
- AsRock C2550D4I (default settings with network adapters)
- 16 Gb RAM ECC
- Only 1 pool made of 2 SSD for tests
- Switch = D-Link DGS-1210-28

On every ethernet adapters (FreeNas server, computer, Switch etc...), the green light is ON which means the connection is 1000 Mo/s

Have you got any idea where I should start looking at?
Isn't it weird that IPerf performance changes that much depending on which way traffic is going?

Let me know if you need more details on my setup.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help

John Doe

Guru
that looks very odd.

hardware specs seems to be fine. have you tried to change the cable?

manslipkorn

Cadet
Hi John Doe,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yeah, I have tried from another ethernet socket on the wall and another cable. Also I have been trying another random port on the switch and I have exactly the same results with all theses configurations.

Also, just to make sure this problem wasn't related to FreeNas, I've tried installing OpenMediaVault (please, don't kick my a**, was just for a test). Result, same problem, very slow connection to the server. Go back to FreeNas.

I have also been investigating with some other hardware (2 Raspberry Pi 2B+ as these are the only other hardware I have).

=============
MAIN COMPUTER (seats in living room 6 meters away from the switch) (Core 2 Duo / 4Gb / SSD)
=============
Main computer > FreeNas Server :
0.0-10.1 sec 10.6 MBytes 8.84 Mbits/sec
Main computer > Raspberry Pi No1 :
0.0-10.0 sec 22.0 MBytes 18.4 Mbits/sec
Main computer > Raspberry Pi No2 :
0.0-10.1 sec 16.5 MBytes 13.8 Mbits/sec

==============
FREENAS SERVER (directly connected to the switch)
==============
FreeNas Server > Main computer :
0.0-10.1 sec 1.11 GBytes 942 Mbits/sec
FreeNas Server > Raspberry Pi No1 :
0.0-10.0 sec 97.5 MBytes 81.7 Mbits/sec
FreeNas Server > Raspberry Pi No2 :
0.0-10.0 sec 83.8 MBytes 70.1 Mbits/sec

==============
Raspberry Pi No1 (seats in cold garage 10 meters away from the switch with only a USB camera connected)
==============
Raspberry Pi No1 > FreeNas Server :
0.0-10.0 sec 60.0 MBytes 50.2 Mbits/sec
Raspberry Pi No1 > Main computer :
0.0-10.0 sec 59.5 MBytes 49.7 Mbits/sec
Raspberry Pi No1 > Raspberry Pi No2 :
0.0-10.0 sec 86.0 MBytes 72.0 Mbits/sec

==============
Raspberry Pi No2 (directly connected to the switch but with a lot of equipment connected to USB ports)
==============
Raspberry Pi No2 > Main computer :
0.0-10.0 sec 38.0 MBytes 31.7 Mbits/sec
Raspberry Pi No2 > Main computer :
0.0-10.0 sec 41.2 MBytes 34.5 Mbits/sec
Raspberry Pi No2 > Raspberry Pi No1 :
0.0-10.0 sec 39.0 MBytes 32.6 Mbits/sec

Conclusion :

Apparently, the problem is on my Main computer, even the Raspberry Pi's are faster (and they have 100Mb/s ethernet port shared with USB).
So I think you can all ignore this thread as there is nothing to do with FreeNas software or my FreeNas server.

Now, I just have to work my way out on my main computer (Archlinux with Realtek integrated ethernet controller). I've been trying with different firmwares/kernels/dhcp client etc..., but always the same slowness.

Thanks again to all of you for reading this thread and looking for a solution.
I sincerely apologize. FreeNas rocks \o/