We Want to Hear Your Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Improve/simplify local replication. There are plenty of use cases where replicating from one pool to another on the same machine is needed; needing to route the whole process through SSH is just silly.

I'd like to see the ability of single-pane-of-glass management for controling multiple FreeNAS boxes. Not sure how you'd do it however but you just asked for ideas :)

I'd also like to see an end to root login via the web ui and the ability to create user logins on the web ui with varying permission levels.

Also an easy way to failover between replicated boxes and failback when box A is fixed.

The ability for HA on FreeNAS

Easier disk identification on FreeNAS

Hazimil

Contributor
Formal notification of each release in Announcements, instead of users having to rely on seeing posts by others suddenly mentioning a newer version you were unaware was release. Usually for for -Ux releases which seem to slip out quietly.

Jonathan

Hazimil

Contributor
A simple way to mount a locally attached (to the NAS box) USB device, for performing a local backup. Remember, a lot of users are home-users with relatively low storage requirements, and a easy-to-use local backup feature would be extremely useful and good practice to promote.

Jonathan

Arwen

MVP
It appears the 11.x new GUI has some animation, (I don't know for certain, I am still on the rock reliable 9.10.x train). All user interfaces should have options for;
  • Themes, (for changing colors and font sizes / types by sight impaired users)
  • Reduced bandwidth, (no animations or slugish popups that don't use plain features).
That said, I don't mind changes.

But changes just to make things look pretty?
At the expense of usability?

Disable all replication tasks with one click. Enable all replication tasks with one click. Or, if not one click, at least all at once.

(We have nine replicated data sets. When we upgrade the replication target or otherwise take it offline for maintenance, the primary starts sending 'Critical Alerts' email letting us know the replication is failing, about one a minute, until the target is back online. This is obnoxious. But not as obnoxious as going into nine replication tasks and disabling them then having to remember to enable them.)

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
I wish the 'comments' section would also replicate as I use this quite a lot.

UPDATE: Just realised it does if you zfs get all on CLI but does not show in the UI. Perhaps a bug fix instead of a feature request.

Paid support model would be interesting, like pay per ticket / question system

Please.

When FreeNAS made donations a thing, I whipped out the corporate AMEX card and was ready to send monies because my company uses FreeNAS and I believe in paying something even if it is only a beer money level donation. The problem is that FreeNAS only takes monies through PayPal. That raises red flags with our accounting department and I'd rather not jump through those hoops. (It took five years before they'd let me buy from eBay and still, every damn time, I've got to warn them in advance and CC the boss and I still get a 'hey, we saw a order from eBay and just wanted to make sure that isn't some sort of fraud going on' message. Every time.)

I'd like to see something along the lines of the pfSense 'Gold Subscription'. I happily pay them $99 a year since we use their firewall software. It also looks legit and sails through accounting without anyone blinking. I don't know that being a Gold Subscription member has any tangible benefits - maybe a PDF copy of the docs - but that's fine by me.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:
Yea I agree with this. Sure there are lots of people out there using FreeNAS in home environments but there are a few of us running this at scale in our corporate enterprises and we would be only to happy to support the work you guys do. Perhaps you charge a nominal fee for people like us and although we don't receive support in return as you don't want the conflict with your TrueNAS stuff we are in some sort of corporate FreeNAS club perhaps with a dedicated update train somewhere between TrueNAS and current STABLE?

Last edited by a moderator:
why do you have nine replication streams? Could you just replicate the parent dataset of them all and set recursive?

Different datasets have different snapshot and replication requirements. Some snaphots only exist a week others for three months; some get snapshots every 15 minutes, some once a day. Some snapshots we want replicated immediately others wait until after normal business hours.

(This question really goes to one of my strongest FreeNAS concerns... is the FreeNAS future a consumer product or an enterprise product? The pre-11 GUI was clearly enterprise in nature. No frills and lean. It was designed for functionality and allowed those with multiple datasets, volumes, interfaces, etc. to see those things easily and from one screen. The post-11 interface is flashy and consumer-oriented, will look good on the side of a box and in product reviews but doesn't have the information density or clarity necessary for those of us with installations beyond a single volume, single dataset, single interface, single replication task. I fear the utility of FreeNAS at the SMB level is being hurt by implementing the consumer grade GUI. Yes, I know the core is mostly the same. But management is done through the GUI and the new GUI is horrible for larger installations.)

Cheers,
Matt

At the risk of sounding samey I tend to agree. I think you need to be careful when playing with the GUI as although the last/current one wouldn't win any beauty contests its very functional and does the job. Syneto is a great example of a beautiful GUI but lacks a lot of the cool built-in features FreeNAS currently has. Simple isn't always best.

LotLits

Dabbler
To those mentioning plugins, the iocage plugin system should make plugins a lot easier to manage. I actually tried the new iocage plugin system using Sickrage and it worked without any extra work (outside mounting directories). For instance:

iocage fetch --plugins --name "sickrage" ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.91/24"

I think they'll be a lot better than the current system (although there is a pull request for Transmission that is taking a while to be accepted into the repo so not sure if we'll see issues with speed of getting the github repo updated)

bigphil

Patron
Adding the ability to view the FreeNAS log files directly from the GUI in a nice and simple interface would be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.