Use freenas with Tvmobili to stream content over internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukfastcar

Cadet
Hi there,

I have an old PC that I am thinking of converting to a NAS storage system, I have the following questions.

1. I currently use a Qnap NAS running Tvmobili, will Tvmobili work on freenas?
2. Qnap has the ability with a mobile app to watch movies stored on my server over the internet while I am away from my home, can freenas do this? I do not require a mobile app just a way of watching movies on my server while away from home.

If there is other software that would allow me to stream content so I can watch while away from my home, and also stream to my TV's on my home network what is the best way to go?

Thank You

Ian

D

dlavigne

I have an old PC that I am thinking of converting to a NAS storage system

Define old. Does the hardware meet the recommended hardware requirements?

Not easily as that app hasn't been ported to FreeBSD yet.

diedrichg

Wizard
I have not heard of Tvmobili but it sounds like Plex can do what you desire which is serving inside/outside of your network. It's already a plugin. You can read up on plugins here http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins

Waxwurx

Cadet
Hi there,

I have an old PC that I am thinking of converting to a NAS storage system, I have the following questions.

2. Qnap has the ability with a mobile app to watch movies stored on my server over the internet while I am away from my home, can freenas do this? I do not require a mobile app just a way of watching movies on my server while away from home.

If there is other software that would allow me to stream content so I can watch while away from my home, and also stream to my TV's on my home network what is the best way to go?

Thank You

Ian

TVMobili is not available as a plugin. However, it is possible to install it into a jail, I used a port jail dedicated to TVMobili. A manual install for BSD based machines is currently available from the TVMobili website (http://www.tvmobili.com/download-media-server.php). The package includes a shell script that performs the installation. There are a couple of bugs, such as the application not finding the libjpeg and libpng libraries, but otherwise it streams perfectly well and can be accessed from outside of the home, just as it does from your QNAP. Support from the TVMobili team is excellent so if you have any issues drop them a line.
I have tried the MiniDLNA and plex plugins and find TVMobili less fiddly to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.