Using FreeNAS as a media server with local GUI with Internet Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

movieman03

Dabbler
Hello,

I setup FreeNAS and for the most part I am happy. My important files are safe and I can stream with PLEX. I setup the server in the Living room as part of my Home Theater. I have a Xbox One, Firestick, and the FreeNAS server. I use the Xbox One for Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and gaming. I use the Firestick for Amazon Music and PLEX.

Occasionally, I watch content that I can only get to via a web browser. How can I use my FreeNAS server as a web browser, so I can log on to websites to watch online content?

note: I realize there are nearly infinite ways to access content, but I specifically would like to have a computer that I can browse the Internet on my TV and stream from sites that I cannot access via the Xbox or Firestick.

Thank you

movieman03

Dabbler
thank you for your response,

I may just end up moving to a Windows Client then...Hopefully Windows 10 will be good for my needs or maybe the functionality with the Firestick or Xbox will change in the future to allow what I am looking for. I really would like to stay with the FreeNAS setup.

fracai

Guru
By far, the easiest way to do this is to get a AppleTV, ChromeCast, or some other device that allows mirroring a stream from another device.
Note that Plex does have channels for things like YouTube and other streaming services. You might be able to get a channel added for your content directly in Plex.

Can you provide some examples of the streams that you want to play?

movieman03

Dabbler
I want a browser experience in my living room to access web sites I cannot normally watch from the Firestick/Xbox. If I went with a Windows Server, I would have that, but it more than likely would not be as stable and it would require more maintenance.

I could go with the Microsoft Wireless display adapter.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ode=37-20614087-2&WT.mc_id=US_datafeed_Google

I could run a hdmi from one room to the other. I just need 20ft. This is the option that is winning currently.

movieman03

Dabbler
My hdmi cable was just long enough to reach from my windows computer to the back of my receiver. Went thru a vent hole. It is not very often that we have to watch stuff directly from a browser but we can now! :)

setup mirroring
changed sound card to my video card
done

Status
Not open for further replies.