Webdav or video streaming over internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonzrulaz

Cadet
Hi,

I have a Synology box and I like it but streaming videos over the internet (through WebDAV) is painfully slow. Regular SD videos lag sometimes. My bandwidth at home is 5.19 Mbps upload. I don't know if the video streaming speed is because of the upload speed or because the Synology box only has 256 MB of ram (and a 1.6 GHz Arm processor). I wanted to test out FreeNAS at home to see if I can get better streaming capabilities. I installed FreeNAS 8 VMWare and successfully created a volume. I haven't tested out streaming videos internally because I'm assuming it would be simple enough (enable CIFS and configure it). The issue I have is that I see no where to enable Webdav. I see FTP, TFTP and SSH. I don't want to enable these protocols because they won't allow me to mount the shares like WebDav does (using a program like NetDrive). My end goal is to be able to STREAM videos OVER the internet (as well as locally) to multiple devices (Windows, iOS devices and Android devices primarily).

TL;DR -- How can I stream videos over the internet using FreeNAS 8 and what clients would I need to receive the video stream on a Windows PC, a iOS device and a Android device?

Thanks for reading and I hope you can answer my question

demonzrulaz

Cadet
bump.

Sorry for bumping but I can't be the only one who wants WebDAV support on FreeNAS....

Thanks in advance.

ProtoSD

MVP
I don't think you're alone, it's just that most people's uplink/outgoing internet speeds here in the US suck too badly for doing reasonable streaming unless it's being buffered for them somewhere outside their home.

demonzrulaz

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. It is a shame that the internet speeds are so low in the US but there should still be an option in FreeNAS for this sorta thing, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.