Real-time transcode video

Status
Not open for further replies.

twsps

Contributor
Hi,
I'm new to this and I would like to ask if there's any plugin that I can use for me to stream videos on NAS and transcode in real-time when on low network speed.
For example,
I have a 4K video in NAS, and I have my phone with low network speed on 4G. Can FreeNAS transcode 4K video to 720p or 480p automatically based on my network speed?

Ps. I'm not thinking about Plex at this moment.

Thanks.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You should think about Plex. It does exactly what you are asking.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Emby is another option.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Does Plex require my media to go over their server?

No.

They provide a redirect mechanism to your FreeNAS instance of Plex, but do not store or index your content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ps. I'm not thinking about Plex at this moment.
You really should be, as that's exactly what it's designed to do. As @Jailer notes, Emby is another alternative--different software that does about the same thing. If you're wanting FreeNAS itself to do this, the answer is no.

pro lamer

Guru
I have a 4K video in NAS, and I have my phone with low network speed on 4G. Can FreeNAS transcode 4K video to 720p or 480p automatically based on my network speed?
Depends on the CPU "power", input bitrate, encoding (h.264?), fps...

twsps

Contributor
Over here I was thinking using any ftp application but also achieve real-time transcode. Does Plex require me to use their app?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Over here I was thinking using any ftp application
Very bad idea if you're going over a public network.
but also achieve real-time transcode.
How would you expect to do that? I'm not aware of any FTP server that has an option to pipe a file through a transcoder.
Does Plex require me to use their app?
Their app, or the web app hosted on your server.

twsps

Contributor
Very bad idea if you're going over a public network.

How would you expect to do that? I'm not aware of any FTP server that has an option to pipe a file through a transcoder.

Their app, or the web app hosted on your server.
So what would you recommend me to do to go over a public network?

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
So what would you recommend me to do to go over a public network?
Use Plex (or Emby), like everyone in this thread is suggesting.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
For file sharing when outside your network, use the nextcloud plugin. (make sure you secure the access to it with a reverse proxy like nginX)

danb35

Hall of Famer
make sure you secure the access to it with a reverse proxy like nginX
...or with its own TLS certificate; a reverse proxy by itself doesn't really bring anything to the party.

garm

Wizard
TLS for sure, but a reverse proxy in front of the storage server, on different networks and a firewall in between and at either end do surly cut down on the traffic being let through.

Only allow authenticated traffic, only allow the traffic of your choice and only expose what you have to. Anything that needs stronger security, put it behind a VPN.

Security is layers and the internet is like water, bots and kids in basements will find any vulnerability exposed. So make sure you expose as little as possible in each layer.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Security is layers
True, and every layer makes the service less convenient to use. There's always a balance between security and usability. But exposing FTP to the Internet is without question a bad idea if the data is in any way sensitive or important.

twsps

Contributor
True, and every layer makes the service less convenient to use. There's always a balance between security and usability. But exposing FTP to the Internet is without question a bad idea if the data is in any way sensitive or important.
Great! For everything besides this, I haven't buy my build for FreeNAS, and below is my spec:
MB: ASRock J5005-ITX Intel Quad-Core Pentium Silver Processor (Up to 2.8 GHz) Motherboards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079G91MQ1/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_q0lsBbSDAX83T
CPU: J5005 SoC (included on motherboard)
Ram: Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin for Mac - CT8G4S24AM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721BJTR4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_.2lsBbH6XRMTQ
HD: HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Retail Packaging 0S04005 (2 for RAID1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7YOH4P/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_73lsBb9Z193NT

For here I know people will be saying my RAM is not ECC, but it's because my cpu isn't supporting it. Over here I don't do much for my NAS but only viewing and storing data. Power consumption is one of my concerns, J5005 is more powerful than Q6600 and only using 10watts (TDP 10W).

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're going to need more memory if you want to use that for anything but a file server.

You want real-time transcoding of 4k video with that? Think again.
This.

twsps

Contributor
You're going to need more memory if you want to use that for anything but a file server.

This.
More memory? But comparing to qnap 2bay devices, they only need 2/4GB. I don't get the point of more memory here

Status
Not open for further replies.