Real-time transcode video

Status
Not open for further replies.

twsps

Contributor
You want real-time transcoding of 4k video with that? Think again.
With qnap ts 253a, they can do real time transcoding with j3355 that is 50% slower than j5005.

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
You clearly have no idea what you're dealing with in FreeNAS, which is why I said to read the (redacted) manual and other materials. FreeNAS isn't a QNAP.

garm

Wizard
With qnap ts 253a, they can do real time transcoding with j3355 that is 50% slower than j5005.

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk
They have hardware decoding of H.264, you won’t be able to do that in an of the shelf FreeBSD system. FreeNAS is an appliance built on FreeBSD with lots of optimization for the NAS bit, so no hardware assist decoding. You will need a CPU that can handle it on its own. For Plex I believe the passmark score recommendation for a single 4k transcode stream is 8000 and you will need some for the rest of the system as well.

twsps

Contributor
They have hardware decoding of H.264, you won’t be able to do that in an of the shelf FreeBSD system. FreeNAS is an appliance built on FreeBSD with lots of optimization for the NAS bit, so no hardware assist decoding. You will need a CPU that can handle it on its own. For Plex I believe the passmark score recommendation for a single 4k transcode stream is 8000 and you will need some for the rest of the system as well.
For how long would it take if I use a CPU like this? What about 1080p?
Thanks.

twsps

Contributor
Then you don't use FreeNAS. Read the manual.
Sorry that I'm a newbie here. What I heard is if I don't use ECC memory then I'm not suggested to use ZFS. So that's why I'm asking of NTFS or HFS. I searched on it and it's possible to use NTFS, but I would like to hear your reasons.

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sorry that I'm a newbie here.
That's why we have documentation, and why we ask new users to read it. But I guess your time is more important than ours.
I searched on it and it's possible to use NTFS,
Then you misunderstood what you read. FreeNAS only uses ZFS.

twsps

Contributor
That's why we have documentation, and why we ask new users to read it. But I guess your time is more important than ours.

Then you misunderstood what you read. FreeNAS only uses ZFS.
Ok, then I will use ZFS here. I would like to know what is a good build with low power usage for FreeNAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'll repeat for the last time that you have a lot of reading to do, as most of your questions are already answered between the manual, the hardware recommendations guide, and the Plex documentation noting that a Passmark score of about 8000 is needed to transcode a single 4k stream. Once you've read those, if you have specific questions, go ahead and post them, and hopefully someone else will not have put you on their ignore list.

twsps

Contributor
For J5005 chip, it is possible to do hardware transcoding with Plex on Linux. What about Plex installed on FreeNAS?

Sent from my Mate 9 using Tapatalk

pro lamer

Guru
hardware transcoding with Plex on Linux. What about Plex installed on
Is the hardware encoding done by the means of the CPU? IIRC that selective type of passthrough to VMs seems not to be possible in FreeNAS. Don't knowabout jails. Don't know if any OS can do it.
then I will use ZFS here
Some users here use FreeNAS 9.x. You can check if that version supports UFS and if it's new enough for you.

Sent from my mobile phone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.