Unable to connect through any other subnet (through routers)

will.mhtz

Dabbler
Over the past three months, there has been a wonderful issue where FreeNAS could only be accessed via the exact same local switch. Connecting through one of our fabric extenders does not allow any access. FreeNAS boxes can be pinged, but smb requests cannot be accessed nor the web interface. There are no blocks or limitations on the network that would prevent this. File shares on windows server boxes work perfectly fine throughout the network.

Problem 2: Now the box, connected directly to a completely separate router/switch, can be accessed from the web interface, but again, smb does not go through. This is true through all our computers on site. They all recieve the same error when trying to map the drive: "The device or resource (192.168.1.134) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

Have fun with this one!

It should be noted that I am currently running 11.2 Release

Last edited:
Is this a Nexus VPC cluster? If so, I suspect there may some issues there. Please give some more details about the Nexus environment and your FreeNAS hardware.

will.mhtz

Dabbler
I am not in charge of the network except our little offsite network we build for projects. Yes it is Cisco nexus gear, but I have little knowledge of how they have it configured. Our offsite network is a linksys wrt flashed with ddwrt
And my FreeNAS box is just a HP tower we had with a i7 3770 and 16gb ECC ram. Raid 5 config with 3, 4tb HGST nas drives. Currently using the onboard nic from the tower.

all said and done, we were working 100% about 4 months ago. Before I rebuild the OS, I thought I might reach out to the community, see if there is a quick fix. Hopefully we can get our media back online.

It is hard to say conclusively without more details, but it sounds more like a network issue than an OS issue. If I were going to guess (and it is a wild a$$ guess without much detail), but my bet would it is a VPC cluster and the connectivity to both VPC members isn't right.

will.mhtz

Dabbler
Still does not explain how ever other service worked perfectly fine, including all other SMB shares from windows servers. Also does not explain how on a completely separate network configuration, it is experiencing similar results. The only consistent factor is the FreeNAS OS itself.

You could try just resetting the configuration first instead of doing a complete re-install. Make sure you don't go through the wizard or it will erase you storage pools.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Over the past three months, there has been a wonderful issue where FreeNAS could only be accessed via the exact same local switch. Connecting through one of our fabric extenders does not allow any access. FreeNAS boxes can be pinged, but smb requests cannot be accessed nor the web interface. There are no blocks or limitations on the network that would prevent this. File shares on windows server boxes work perfectly fine throughout the network.

Problem 2: Now the box, connected directly to a completely separate router/switch, can be accessed from the web interface, but again, smb does not go through. This is true through all our computers on site. They all recieve the same error when trying to map the drive: "The device or resource (192.168.1.134) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

Have fun with this one!

It should be noted that I am currently running 11.2 Release
On FreeNAS, do you have the SMB service configured to bind to the correct interface IP address?

Also, the error message you cite makes me think that your network may be set up to block port 445 (used by the SMB service). Perhaps you need to get your network admins to add the FreeNAS server to a whitelist? I dunno...

Good luck!

will.mhtz

Dabbler
Tried reseting the config earlier in the month. No dice. Reinstall is the last option after all you geniuses have exhausted your thoughts.

SMB is not currently bound to an IP. And it is not blocked by the network. Both onsite and offsite. Like I said, shares are working perfectly fine from any other SMB share I create on windows etc. Who knows.

will.mhtz

Dabbler
Ok. Fresh install of FreeNAS completed. Andddd no dice. I did use an import of the previous config. All is pointing to some config change that stopped sharing somehow.

will.mhtz

Dabbler
Cleared config to default reset. Imported the volumes, and created a new share. Same story. The FreeNAS server does not appear in network discovery on our windows machines. Anything I could be missing?

will.mhtz

Dabbler
Tried everything in that, not the same issue. We have a few macs that also use the pool over the SMB share (for simplicity), and they too cannot connect.
I ran into an interesting issue when troubleshooting today. On a clean install, with the a clean config, importing the pool, and creating a new share, will cause the smb service to not be able to start. Before the share was created, smb could be started and stopped with no contest. Something is definitely odd with this.

will.mhtz

Dabbler
New fun discovery. Back on the old config on the new install. Its 12:00 on sunday morning, time for the weekly backup to google cloud services: the drives are ticking along. The cloud bucket is showing all recent files that were created, so the file system itself does not appear to have any issues.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
SMB is not currently bound to an IP. And it is not blocked by the network. Both onsite and offsite. Like I said, shares are working perfectly fine from any other SMB share I create on windows etc. Who knows.
I've always bound SMB to an interface IP address, like this:
smb-settings.jpg

will.mhtz

Dabbler
I've always bound SMB to an interface IP address, like this:
Well, that solved the problem temporarily, which is fine for now. Why I never had an issue with that until now, beats me. This systems been running fine for over 2 years. Once we are back on the main network, I'll find out if we can still access it through other parts of the network. For now, our team can finally get back to work while we are offsite.
Thanks everyone. I will update next month with results of that network config.

will.mhtz

Dabbler
Ok. We are back on the main network and our lovely issue is back again. Anywhere on the network, the device can be pinged, and the web interface is able to be accessed. However, our windows machines cannot see the device when using "\\ip.ip.ip.ip\". Only on the local switch that it can be accessed. Our team exists on other parts of the network and need to get to these shares. It should be noted the hostname cant be resolved either. Not a huge problem, but would be nice to be able to name the server.

"The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer."

The way you describe it, I still think it is a network issue or a Nexus/VPC issue.

will.mhtz

Dabbler
There is no special config on any of the network switches. This little "dumb" switch pulls from the main network with no problems. Other desktops with network shares work perfectly fine on that switch. It is only the freenas box that fails the connection with smb.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
How do you assign the FreeNAS server's IP address? Static? Or via DHCP?

Have you configured the SMB service and bound it to the server's IP address?

If you can ping the server, then its basic network setup is good. That makes me suspect that the SMB service isn't configured on the server's IP address.