NAS to switch then to PC?

Chesse

Explorer
Hi, so I've got my NAS separate from my wifi network (it's not my house). I'm trying to connect my NAS to my switch, then have my switch be connected to my PC, all through LAN. Without any router. When I try to boot up, when it gets to the 11 options at the console, it will tell me that my web interface will be at http.//0.0.0.0, but it doesn't work. I then tried resetting the configuration without doing anything else and then it told me "web interface could not be accessed. Please check network configuration." How can I set up the NAS to only go NAS--->Switch--->PC?

nikalai2

Dabbler
Hi,

0.0.0.0 is not an IP adress. It can be automatically assignrt ony if you are using a router / DHCP server.
The solution is to manually configure network adapters on NAS / PC.

Chesse

Explorer
0.0.0.0 is not an IP address and you can receive automatically an IP only if you are using a router / DHCP server.
The solution is to manually configure network adapters on NAS / PC.

I know I just didn't know why it wasn't working and giving me an IP. Can you help me try and configure both of them to work directly through just the switch?

Chesse

Explorer
Okay, now I've got configuring figured out, sort of. But now I'm running into another issue. Maybe I'm not configuring it right, but even after I configure my interface on my NAS, and then it shows up as "Web interface can be accessed at http://(IP)" when trying to connect to the web interface on my PC, it won't work. What am I doing wrong?

nikalai2

Dabbler
Sorry for the late response. Can you please give detalied informations about network adapter configuration on both machines?
What is the gateway / default route IP adress assigned on the nas?

Chesse

Explorer
Sorry for the late response. Can you please give detalied informations about network adapter configuration on both machines?
What is the gateway / default route IP address assigned on the nas?

Okay, so right now it's just NAS ---> Switch LAN ---> PC (from switch). I went through and reassigned the default network interface of the NAS (in console) to 192.168.0.137 for IPv4, with a submask of 255.255.255.0 and no IPv6. I've tried different IPs as well and I have DHCP off otherwise it won't let me assign a manual IPv4 of course since it would then try to assign it itself. Anyway, once I do that, it will then tell me "Web interface can be found at 192.168.0.137" but when I try connecting to that on my PC, it won't. I've not set anything up specifically on my PC. IDK if I should or just leave it be. If it's any help, I've got my wireless adapter connected to my main wifi network taking 1st priority and then the ethernet connection which is what goes to the switch taking 2nd priority. I had to do that because if I don't, I get extreme internet slow downs

nikalai2

Dabbler
Try to configure a manual IP adress for LAN on PC, something like 192.168.0.135 and you must add this as a gateway on the NAS network adapter.

melloa

Wizard
Without any router.

If you are not using a router, you most likely, have no DHCP server on the network (the one you are setting up with your switch). You will need to manually configure your interfaces tcp/ip, assigning IP addresses, gateways, DNSs, etc. Than I'd have questions about how:

I've got my NAS separate from my wifi network

You will access the NAS from your WiFi ... maybe you don't want that?

If you have access, it would be easier to run a cable from the house router to your switch, let the NAS and your PC get an IP from it. If, as you said, this is not your house and you want to have that NAS only available for you, do as above and set all manually, but be aware that your NAS won't be connecting to the internet to get the available updates and your PC also won't have access to surf it.

You will need to provide more information on your final goals and current network setup, equipment used, etc, so people here can try to better help you.

Chesse

Explorer
If you are not using a router, you most likely, have no DHCP server on the network (the one you are setting up with your switch). You will need to manually configure your interfaces tcp/IP, assigning IP addresses, gateways, DNSs, etc. Than I'd have questions about how:

You will access the NAS from your WiFi ... maybe you don't want that?

If you have access, it would be easier to run a cable from the house router to your switch, let the NAS and your PC get an IP from it. If, as you said, this is not your house and you want to have that NAS only available for you, do as above and set all manually, but be aware that your NAS won't be connecting to the internet to get the available updates and your PC also won't have access to surf it.

You will need to provide more information on your final goals and current network setup, equipment used, etc, so people here can try to better help you.

No. I can't have the nas connected to the main router because it's not my house and I'm not ALLOWED to. Plus I don't have cable long enough to go that far. I'm downstairs in the basement on the other side of the house and if I ran a cable or started drilling holes through the basement ceiling/upstairs floor my grandfather would kill me and bury me in the back yard (joke).

Basically forget about the main wifi network. That's entirely separate. Right now I have, as I've said 2-3 times now, my NAS connected straight into my switch, and my PC is doing the same. There is no router connected to either, nor is one connected to the switch. I had a router connected to the switch before, but that caused too many problems because it was slow as crap and half the time it would not work.

And you're telling me I'd have to configure the interfaces/etc but I did that and it didn't work which is what I'm asking for help for.

melloa

Wizard

melloa

Wizard
Sorry I didn't mean to be passive aggressive

Not a problem from my end.

If I might suggest, get a small used linksys router on eBay and use it instead of your switch. That will make your life easier. If not, you will need to configure your workstation and server for an static IP.

I went through and reassigned the default network interface of the NAS (in console) to 192.168.0.137 for IPv4, with a submask of 255.255.255.0 and no IPv6.

Try to configure a manual IP address for LAN on PC, something like 192.168.0.135
How do I do that?

If Windows 10, use those instructions.

The problem with this setup, as mentioned before, is that you won't be able to update your server and will be running the same installed FreeNAS version.

Other solution for your problem: Powerline Ethernet Adapter. I've used this before to connect a internet gateway on my friend's cube at work to mine and had no problem. The only caveat is distance and filters. I had to use it direct connected to the wall. Test and if won't work for you, return it.

Chesse

Explorer
Not a problem from my end.

If I might suggest, get a small used linksys router on eBay and use it instead of your switch. That will make your life easier. If not, you will need to configure your workstation and server for an static IP.

If Windows 10, use those instructions.

The problem with this setup, as mentioned before, is that you won't be able to update your server and will be running the same installed FreeNAS version.

Other solution for your problem: Powerline Ethernet Adapter. I've used this before to connect a internet gateway on my friend's cube at work to mine and had no problem. The only caveat is distance and filters. I had to use it direct connected to the wall. Test and if won't work for you, return it.
That's a problem though. I HAVE a Linksys router already and it's been causing me too many issues. In fact if I use the router I might as well just kiss my brand new Switch goodbye because it worked better without it. Plus it was extremely slow and I can't connect to the router without using ethernet because I'm also connected wirelessly to the main wifi in the house. Not trying to go against you but everything you're telling me to do is going against what I'm trying to accomplish. If you want, I can make up a network diagram for you of what my current setup is like

Chesse

Explorer
Config.jpg

melloa

Wizard
I HAVE a Linksys router already and it's been causing me too many issues.

Not inconditional fan of Linksys, but that shouldn't be the problem.

In fact if I use the router I might as well just kiss my brand new Switch goodbye because it worked better without it.

Both should have a 1Gb switch, so again (brainstorming), that's not the problem.

I can't connect to the router without using ethernet because I'm also connected wirelessly to the main wifi in the house

Now we are getting to the problem and complexity of this configuration.

You have a workstation that is connected to a network and wants to access the NAS that, theoretically, is connected to another. I'm not a network engineer, but for what I know you'd need a router to connect both.

To simplify things I'd go the route I've mention above, connection your switch to the house router and/or directly to your NAS, so you could continue using the WiFi and have access to your router as per your Config.jpg posted above.

Chesse

Explorer
Not inconditional fan of Linksys, but that shouldn't be the problem.

Both should have a 1Gb switch, so again (brainstorming), that's not the problem.

Now we are getting to the problem and complexity of this configuration.

You have a workstation that is connected to a network and wants to access the NAS that, theoretically, is connected to another. I'm not a network engineer, but for what I know you'd need a router to connect both.

To simplify things I'd go the route I've mention above, connection your switch to the house router and/or directly to your NAS, so you could continue using the WiFi and have access to your router as per your Config.jpg posted above.

The problem is that, again, that's not an option because if I connected my NAS to the main router it'd have to be upstairs and if my grandfather saw it I might as well kiss it goodbye because he'd throw it back down the stairs (also a joke but he really wouldn't be happy if I connected anything to his sh*t, he's really picky). Also I do know that being connected wirelessly to the main router and then connected to the NAS network as I'll call it via ethernet works, I just have to make sure I prioritize my wireless connection as #1 in IPv4 settings and my ethernet connection to the NAS network as #2, this was in fact recommended to me by another person on this forum before.

But see, the reason I removed the router from the network and tried going straight into the switch and then out of the switch into my PC is because for one, it was extremely slow with one of the routers I used, and for all of the ones I used I could never even stay connected to the NAS, it kept dropping connections and in general just kept becoming more and more of a headache, once I solved one problem, another was caused by the solution of the last, and so on in a slippery slope.

melloa

Wizard
Sorry, not trying to be a pain-in-you-know-where :)

Use the powerline adapter to take the internet from your grandfather's router to the basement; connect the 2nd unit to the NAS or the switch downstairs.

You can use the excuse that it is to improve your WiFi signal ...

I know at&t offers a WiFi extender that also does the same, not sure about Comcast and others.

Will let others provide configurations options for the workstation to work with your requirements.

Chesse

Explorer
the internet from your grandfather's router to the basement;
I've tried that, almost got murdered (joke again). Anyway, is there not a different way to do this by excluding the main router?

Chesse

Explorer
Also even if he'd let me do that there's no way I'd get a cable up there. I don't have one long enough and nowhere to run it, besides the walls or drilling through the ceiling up into the computer room where the router is, and getting GOOD cable to run that's at least Cat5e is a pain in my ass cash wise.

TBH with you I used to run networking cable but when it comes to NAS work I'm effing clueless lol, which is why I'm in need of assistance. Trust me I'd love to run a bundle of cables throughout the house so I can hardwire every room and give the middle finger to wireless besides for guests and other family members, it's just not my house. (Can't wait to get my own place btw, lmfao)