NAS to switch then to PC?

Chesse

Explorer
Is it an option to get inexpensive gigabit router that can be flashed with e.g. DD-WRT or alike (maybe your linksys router already supports that) and use it in client mode? https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode
I'm not sure. I'm trying really not to spend too much more money, also considering I've already got a router. It's not super fast but should be faster than what it was when I had it connected.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Aren't there multiple users on here that have their FreeNAS setup with a point-to-point network connection no switch required?
the second post in this thread had the solution to get that working and post#13 had the instruction to set the network adapter in windows 10.
@Chesse did you try setting the IP address on FreeNAS and on your wired network adapter on your PC?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Aren't there multiple users on here that have their FreeNAS setup with a point-to-point network connection no switch required?
Yes, and it's very straightforward--if you know anything about TCP/IP networking.

melloa

Wizard

Chesse

Explorer
the second post in this thread had the solution to get that working and post#13 had the instruction to set the network adapter in windows 10.
@Chesse did you try setting the IP address on FreeNAS and on your wired network adapter on your PC?
I haven't tried doing it on my PC's adapter by itself, let me try setting it to the same as the NAS.

Chesse

Explorer
EDIT: I'm guessing you're wanting me to change my adapter settings for the adapter that's connected to the NAS on my PC to the same IP as the NAS?

If your FreeNAS is set to 192.168.0.135 set your PC's wired NIC to 192.168.0.134

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would I not set them both the same?
Are they the same machine? No two devices on the network should have the same IP address.

Chesse

Explorer
Are they the same machine? No two devices on the network should have the same IP address.
Exactly why I'm confused as to why you're so specific with the IP addresses. I should be able to set it to anything that is not already taken by another device, correct?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Exactly why I'm confused as to why you're so specific with the IP addresses.
I'm not; that was @cobrakiller58. I assume anyone using FreeNAS would know enough about TCP/IP networking to set appropriate IP addresses without explicit hand-holding. Your questions suggest this may not be the case.

Chesse

Explorer
I'm not; that was @cobrakiller58. I assume anyone using FreeNAS would know enough about TCP/IP networking to set appropriate IP addresses without explicit hand-holding. Your questions suggest this may not be the case.
Sorry for the mix up. Too many people in here to keep track of who's who.

And are you trying to make fun of me? Really? I wouldn't be asking for help if I didn't need it. I've only been working with FreeNAS for a few months and I'm very new to it so that comment just seems passive aggressive to me. I've configured my NAS and my PC's NIC and it still won't work, so I'm still having issues. I had issues way back when it WAS connected to the main network, and it seems like it's always one thing after another.

Exactly why I'm confused as to why you're so specific with the IP addresses. I should be able to set it to anything that is not already taken by another device, correct?

I was very specific so that we all know EXACTLY where your configuration stands, we are not there and we do not know how much experience you have with any of this tech. As there is only the PC, FreeNAS and presumable the switch(unmanaged?) literally any two IP addresses in the same range should work. Is the Wireless NIC in the 192.168.0.XXX range as well? I'm an amateur so we have to keep it simple TCP/IP isn't magic but it has it's quirks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And are you trying to make fun of me?
Nobody's making fun of you. A certain level of knowledge is assumed (that could be a very long discussion on its own, but let's not get into the details), so it's important to make sure to tell us that you're not comfortable with something so we can point you in the right direction.

Exactly why I'm confused as to why you're so specific with the IP addresses.
I guess that can be a bit confusing and kind of imply those addresses have something special, but they don't.

Sphinxicus

Dabbler

Hi @Chesse did you get this sorted? What you are trying to do is perfectly feasible. I'm going to make some assumptions here since some details are absent.

I'm going to assume that your wireless interface on your PC is NOT in the same 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. If it is then you need to change the IP address of your Wired PC interface and that of your FreeNAS interface to another network (lets say 10.0.10.0/24 just to be safe as most home routers i've used don't use this range by default).

So, again, assuming your wireless interface on your PC is something like 192.168.1.X we shouldn't have a problem.

You already have your FreeNAS box setup as 192.168.0.137 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Set the wired interface on your PC to 192.168.0.136, do not add a default gateway for this.

You should be able to access the FreeNAS GUI after completing the above.

If not and assuming this PC is a windows PC, I don't know if Windows is clever enough to automatically add routes to different networks based on adding another network to an attached interface (happy to be confirmed by someone who knows what they are talking about).

So if after the above, you you still cant access we need to tell the PC that to reach any address in the 192.168.0.0/24 range that it needs to send the traffic out the interface belonging to that network. 192.168.0.136 in this case. To do that open a command prompt as administrator and add a static route:

route ADD 192.168.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.136

This will tell Windows to send all traffic destined for the 192.168.0.0/24 network out the interface with the 192.168.0.136 address.

All other traffic will go out your default gateway to your wireless router.

Hope the above didn't patronise in any way. Hard to know who knows what :)

pschatz100

Guru
@Chesse If I understand the picture of your network as previously posted, it looks like you have the switch connected to your PC, which is connected to the network. That is not the way I'd do it. Connect the switch to the network, then connect both the PC and FreeNAS to the switch. You should not have to change the network configuration of your PC and it will be much easier to configure the NAS with an appropriate IP address, mask, default gateway, and DNS Server (don't forget that), or just use DHCP/