Two NIC's for the average home user - config help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's typical pricing. D-Link has a few similar options, but they only have two SFP+ and no 10GBaseT, with a more expensive version having four SFP+ slots.

Edit: Its main attraction compared to what I've seen is that it has both 10GBaseT and SFP+, so it can serve as a sort of bridge between different 10GbE segments.

Edit: Its main attraction compared to what I've seen is that it has both 10GBaseT and SFP+, so it can serve as a sort of bridge between different 10GbE segments.

That it exactly what i meant.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think the 5524 is the better "get your feet wet" hardware. It's cheaper, runs fiber for me(which seems to be much simpler than 10G over copper from what I've seen), and with SFP+ support you can go with fiber or copper, at your own discretion. 2 ports is generally plenty for 10Gb "testing the waters" as you can run your desktop and server on 10Gb.

I own a 5524. This was based off of jgreco's recommendation he made to me about 9 months ago. ;)

Now, if the 6624 is either the same price (or only marginally more expensive than the 5524) then obviously that may be a "better" deal if you are planning for potential future expansion.

At the time I bought my 5524, the 6624 was something like $700 (twice the price I paid for my 5524).

I think the 5524 is the better "get your feet wet" hardware. It's cheaper, runs fiber for me(which seems to be much simpler than 10G over copper from what I've seen), and with SFP+ support you can go with fiber or copper, at your own discretion. 2 ports is generally plenty for 10Gb "testing the waters" as you can run your desktop and server on 10Gb.

I own a 5524. This was based off of jgreco's recommendation he made to me about 9 months ago. ;)

Now, if the 6624 is either the same price (or only marginally more expensive than the 5524) then obviously that may be a "better" deal if you are planning for potential future expansion.

At the time I bought my 5524, the 6624 was something like $700 (twice the price I paid for my 5524).

Thanks for sharing , I am glad to hear from someone who owns 5524. So under $400 on ebay it's better deal to get 6224 for one main reason it has 4x10gb SFP+ instead of 2x10gb on SPF+.

Look what i found: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ProSA...-GS728TX-100NES/dp/B00OZCFVVC?tag=servecom-20

Brand new for $540 has 4x10gb (2 ports T-Base and 2 ports SPF+) which will leave 5524/6224 do dust, right ? I can't think of anything better with this features, I don't even know if anybody else has 4x10gb ports with 2T-base and 2SPF+. Aren't you go going to order one right away , too ?:)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
*I* wouldn't pay $540 for 4 ports like that if 2 is plenty for your needs... it really turns into a situation where you have to decide for yourself what is better.

*I* wouldn't pay $540 for 4 ports like that if 2 is plenty for your needs... it really turns into a situation where you have to decide for yourself what is better.

What about the fact that it has 2 T-Based 10gb ports. I can connect directly with rj45 , no fiber no modules and just plug it to your existing network. This is me, you can use your fiber chelsio 10gb nic with SPF+ , isn't it great for every one ?

You can use one switch for all you needs. If my 1gb switch had 10gb up links I can use it to connect to 12 port 10GB switch, but without 10gb up links it can't be used to connect to anything because 1gb uplink bottleneck. Any 1gb switch purchased today should have 10gb uplink at least 1.

If you didn't have your 5524 already , would you ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What about the fact that it has 2 T-Based 10gb ports. I can connect directly with rj45 , no fiber no modules and just plug it to your existing network. This is me, you can use your fiber chelsio 10gb nic with SPF+ , isn't it great for every one ?

You can use one switch for all you needs. If my 1gb switch had 10gb up links I can use it to connect to 12 port 10GB switch, but without 10gb up links it can't be used to connect to anything because 1gb uplink bottleneck. Any 1gb switch purchased today should have 10gb uplink at least 1.

If you didn't have your 5524 already , would you ?

No. I don't like T-based 10Gb ports. When I can buy a 5524 for $350, why would I pay $540 for more ports (almost $200 more) for ports that I won't use? And since you can stack the 5524s, if you can buy two 5524 for the same price (or slightly more), you could stack two 5524s and have 4x10Gb porst and 48(!!!) 1Gb ports.

Ultimately it's all about what *you* need. I don't need 4 ports, and I definitely don't need copper ports (I'm 100% fiber). So the 5524 is always the better choice for me.

It's really about what *you* need, what *you* anticipate for expansion, and the cost for that potential benefit along with buying two 5524s versus 1 6224.

No. I don't like T-based 10Gb ports. When I can buy a 5524 for $350, why would I pay $540 for more ports (almost $200 more) for ports that I won't use? And since you can stack the 5524s, if you can buy two 5524 for the same price (or slightly more), you could stack two 5524s and have 4x10Gb porst and 48(!!!) 1Gb ports.

Ultimately it's all about what *you* need. I don't need 4 ports, and I definitely don't need copper ports (I'm 100% fiber). So the 5524 is always the better choice for me.

It's really about what *you* need, what *you* anticipate for expansion, and the cost for that potential benefit along with buying two 5524s versus 1 6224.

I don't know why you are against T-Based 10gb so much ?! Then look for 6224 , I am sure you won't lime hdmi for stacking either , here we are on the same boat.

It's $200 more but is brand new more power efficient switch vs older model used one sold AS IS.

I wonder otherwise how good is 5524 as 1 gb switch compared to the new netgear prosafe s3300 ?! After all reliability is my first priority, over features ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If this second switch GS728TX-100NES is really doing what specs says for $540 brand new , I don't understand how come it's not in every household in America already ?! There must be a catch when something looks too good to be true.

The catch may be just that it's Netgear. As a longtime Powershift Partner, we're ideally suited to acquire demo/eval units at discounted prices, but we really don't... I typically suggest Dell, HP, or Cisco to customers, and our own network is built heavily on Dell. Netgear makes some nice products across the spectrum, and at the desktop level I do occasionally deploy the Netgear GS108T because they're the cheapest sorta-smart switch that can do stuff like vlans and be administered remotely. But many of the Netgear owners I know are anywhere from vaguely unhappy to relatively displeased with the devices. My overall impression of the quality has been kinda poor since the '90's when we had a fleet of RT338's that started to fail right outside the warranty window, and I hear of Netgears dropping dead often enough that I'm not convinced that quality issues have been addressed to my satisfaction.

When you buy a switch from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc., it is worth noting that you're buying from a company that's largely focused on consumer retail sales and keeping prices low, which typically means that they may be cutting corners on components in order to hit price points. The more "enterprisey" manufacturers are more interested in network availability, so the devices will usually cost quite a bit more, even if they don't cost a ton more to build. Sometimes they are bundled along as "freebies" with large scale server orders, but many of the buyers already have their own preferred network infrastructure and therefore they get the free switches and then turn around and eBay them for beer money. We got a bunch of switches a decade ago this way back when Dell was heavily promoting its PowerConnect series in that manner.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
SFP+ support you can go with fiber or copper

Please say "fiber or twinax." There's no SFP+ support for 10G copper, alas, though you can use a 1G SFP copper module in a 10G SFP+ slot, which we do a few ports of here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please say "fiber or twinax." There's no SFP+ support for 10G copper, alas, though you can use a 1G SFP copper module in a 10G SFP+ slot, which we do a few ports of here.

Yeah, my mistake. Sleep deprivation without coffee sucks. Contrary to what my sister says, I do not consider Keurig to be "coffee".

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, my mistake. Sleep deprivation without coffee sucks. Contrary to what my sister says, I do not consider Keurig to be "coffee".

Well, I had to stop drinking pop, and since coffee is the only alternative at most restaurants, I tend to drink it but mostly hate it.

I put Water Joe in the Keurig machine for that doubly caffeinated goodness. It resembles coffee but I have to drink less of it to get the same result, so, yay.

The catch may be just that it's Netgear. As a longtime Powershift Partner, we're ideally suited to acquire demo/eval units at discounted prices, but we really don't... I typically suggest Dell, HP, or Cisco to customers, and our own network is built heavily on Dell. Netgear makes some nice products across the spectrum, and at the desktop level I do occasionally deploy the Netgear GS108T because they're the cheapest sorta-smart switch that can do stuff like vlans and be administered remotely. But many of the Netgear owners I know are anywhere from vaguely unhappy to relatively displeased with the devices. My overall impression of the quality has been kinda poor since the '90's when we had a fleet of RT338's that started to fail right outside the warranty window, and I hear of Netgears dropping dead often enough that I'm not convinced that quality issues have been addressed to my satisfaction.

When you buy a switch from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc., it is worth noting that you're buying from a company that's largely focused on consumer retail sales and keeping prices low, which typically means that they may be cutting corners on components in order to hit price points. The more "enterprisey" manufacturers are more interested in network availability, so the devices will usually cost quite a bit more, even if they don't cost a ton more to build. Sometimes they are bundled along as "freebies" with large scale server orders, but many of the buyers already have their own preferred network infrastructure and therefore they get the free switches and then turn around and eBay them for beer money. We got a bunch of switches a decade ago this way back when Dell was heavily promoting its PowerConnect series in that manner.

That is a exactly the reason why I didn't jump right away for this switch: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ProSA...-GS728TX-100NES/dp/B00OZCFVVC?tag=servecom-20
It has exactly what I need, but like you said consumer grade products cut corners to make the price point , and that sucks because you can't make decision base on spec. Consumer grade products have this tendency to implement a lot of feature to show value for the money, but hope most of the people will never use them so they will not find out that most features are not working. Like my router (RT-N66U) who can download/seed torrents , could be a file server , ftp server and etc. It's great consumer router if not the best , but all these features are unreliable junk, they are not helping because they are not working properly never can on this hardware and only add complexity and security vulnerabilities to fix in a future.

What is you opinion on 10gg T-Based vs Fiber ? Cyberjock suggest very price efficient solution with fiber nics, but imagine you buy switches , modules , and 10gb nic are keep piling , then if you have to switch to 10bgT-Base all these cards and switches goes to the garbage.

Also I wonder about fiber: Do you patch fiber or you use only pre-made terminated cables ? I am kind of scared to patch my own fiber cables , look much more complicated and risky than patching cat6 ?

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Wow.. how original.. Cyberjoke.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You kidding? I have been tempted to make a list of typos:
Off the top of my head:
  • Cyberjoe
  • Cyberjack
  • Cyberdog
  • Syberjock
  • Cyberjoke
Why does your username in particular attract so many typos? :p

While you are here , can you tell me what is your 10gb setup , I said is 5524 but , with what nic and what modules ? I trying to put the stuff together.You mention different hardware here and there but I am trying to put together what is needed to put everything together ?

Off the top of my head:
  • Cyberjoe
  • Cyberjack
  • Cyberdog
  • Syberjock
  • Cyberjoke

In the people's memory they remember "Cyber" part but the second part is something that blur together with "Jack, John, Joe" if they don't see it in front of them they can't recall clear exact name.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Off the top of my head:
  • Cyberjoe
  • Cyberjack
  • Cyberdog
  • Syberjock
  • Cyberjoke

Cyberdork?

9C1 Newbee