iSCSI MPIO Network Config with multiple ESXi Hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScallyWag

Cadet
Hi All, new to the forum so please let me know if I am getting something wrong!

I am rebuilding my test lab, this time using iSCSI and FreeNAS. Have read many of these forum posts while trying to determine the iSCSI network configuration, these have been very helpful but I am a bit confused when it comes to multiple ESXi Hosts and MPIO configuration.

Hoping you guys can clarify the path I am on or provide some other suggestions!

Enviroment:
2 x ESXi Hosts (2 NIC's dedicated to iSCSI on each host )
1 x FreeNAS Server (4 NIC's dedicated to iSCSI if all required)
1 x Cisco 3560 Layer 3 switch

I understand that best practice with one ESXi Host is to configure 2 x VLANS with a subnet on each. On the FreeNAS side 2 interfaces will be configured, each with an IP address from one of the subnets. These will be added to an iSCSI Portal. On the ESXi side the 2 iSCSI interfaces, one on each VLAN/Subnet, will be dedicated to a particular VMKernel Port using the failover override options.

My confusion comes when adding an additional ESXi Host. Do I add the 2 iSCSI network interfaces on the host to the existing subnets? Do I create 2 additional subnets and set the new host up using the remaining 2 ports on FreeNAS (This doesn't seem to be a very scalable solution if I was to add an extra 3rd host for instance, not that I plan to do this). Is there a completely different way that I have not worked out yet? If there are multiple ways what are the performance implications etc??

A point in the right direction would be appreciated!!!

Cheers!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I set up multipath I/O with iSCSI on my home network. I can't remember exactly how I did the ESXi side of things, but my network was like this:

FreeNAS: 10.0.0.1 and 192.168.2.150
ESXI: 10.0.0.2 and 192.168.2.151

Each side has 2 NICs, and each IP can contact the other. So I have a total of 4 paths, each ESXi IP can connect to both of the FreeNAS IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.