Two NIC's for the average home user - config help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they can connect. You will need the SFP+ for the Netgear and a fiber to connect it to the Dell. And there really isn't anything that makes the port a special "uplink" port. It's just what folks tend to use them for.

Then why ... I read about some switches have 4x10GB SPF+ ports but you can use only 2 to connect server/workstation and other too are "uplinks only" to connect to other switches ?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Large 4-5GB per file , and then transfer of 120-180GB sequential. 3-4 clients are like that because , backup, media, etc. the rest arenot sequential but with 1gb uplink it too much bottle neck, 1 client it's enough to clog the rest
If your clients are pushing that much data all the time, there is something terribly inefficient here.

I guess I don't understand. I have 3 desktops (wife, myself, son) that run rsync all day long, plex is being used most of the day to stream 2 devices, there are 3 Proxmox hosts connected via NFS to datastores running on FreeNAS, there are downloads happening randomly all day long, several VMs, and yet I still fail to fill the 1gbps connection constantly. My max is 300mbps from today. Looking at the reports, I have maxed out the connection 1 or 2 times in a month....for only a few minutes.

Get the Netgear. Connect as many devices that need fast access to it (both 10G and 1G devices). Connect the Netgear to your existing switch with Cat5e/6 (it's only a 1G solution, but should be fine). If you need more 1G ports down the road, get the 5524 and an SFP+ for the Netgear to do uplink. If you need more 10G ports down the road, get another Netgear and connect them with Cat6.

Is 5524 better that new
GS752TXS ?

What is the best switch up to $1000 with 4x10GB uplinks that all can be use for workstations too ?!

If your clients are pushing that much data all the time, there is something terribly inefficient here.

I guess I don't understand. I have 3 desktops (wife, myself, son) that run rsync all day long, plex is being used most of the day to stream 2 devices, there are 3 Proxmox hosts connected via NFS to datastores running on FreeNAS, there are downloads happening randomly all day long, several VMs, and yet I still fail to fill the 1gbps connection constantly. My max is 300mbps from today. Looking at the reports, I have maxed out the connection 1 or 2 times in a month....for only a few minutes.

Well different setups I guess. I don't like streaming like plex or anytranscoding that will alter original quality , I "stream" let say movie from 50GB ISO no trascoding just network sharing to preserve the best quality possible. Quality over quantity always. Don't you copy files sometimes ? Few movies from one server to another and you will utilize 1gb link on 98% for an hour.

Can somebody advice me when choosing a switch with 10GB SPF+ uplinks , how to make sure I can use them for connecting directly servers , not just for use as uplinks to another switch only ??

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well different setups I guess. I don't like streaming like plex or anytranscoding that will alter original quality , I "stream" let say movie from 50GB ISO no trascoding just network sharing to preserve the best quality possible. Quality over quantity always. Don't you copy files sometimes ? Few movies from one server to another and you will utilize 1gb link on 98% for an hour.
I don't transcode either. Files are streamed direct. I have moved TERRABYTES of data across the network and not killed it....

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Then why ... I read about some switches have 4x10GB SPF+ ports but you can use only 2 to connect server/workstation and other too are "uplinks only" to connect to other switches ?
Does it say "Uplink" or "Stacking"? Stacking is usually vendor proprietary and is nice because it makes multiple switches act like one. This simplifies management.

Don't forget to keep track of the connection types. SFP+ will require fiber and an SFP+ on the client side (not UTP). You need to pick one way or the other.

According to the manual, it looks like the GS752TXS can use all 4 ports for clients/servers (it's just a configuration option). If you choose to stack later, then 2 of the 4 ports are used for stacking.

I don't transcode either. Files are streamed direct. I have moved TERRABYTES of data across the network and not killed it....

Then what is the plex thing you ere talking about ? This plex thing became such a big deal number one plug in that I don't even know about , I am heavy medicenter guy since 2005.

Perhaps you missed the point.I'll go back a little bit. I was saying that I don't want to connect 2 switches with 1gb uplink between them, because as soon as you start copy file from switch 1 to switch 2 any other connection between switches will be hurt by the bottle neck. This is what I was talking about. Don't you agree with that ?

Then what is the plex thing you ere talking about ? This plex thing became such a big deal number one plug in that I don't even know about , I am heavy medicenter guy since 2005.

Perhaps you missed the point.I'll go back a little bit. I was saying that I don't want to connect 2 switches with 1gb uplink between them, because as soon as you start copy file from switch 1 to switch 2 any other connection between switches will be hurt by the bottle neck. This is what I was talking about. Don't you agree with that ?

Does it say "Uplink" or "Stacking"? Stacking is usually vendor proprietary and is nice because it makes multiple switches act like one. This simplifies management.

Don't forget to keep track of the connection types. SFP+ will require fiber and an SFP+ on the client side (not UTP). You need to pick one way or the other.

According to the manual, it looks like the GS752TXS can use all 4 ports for clients/servers (it's just a configuration option). If you choose to stack later, then 2 of the 4 ports are used for stacking.

Ooooo so I misunderstood perhaps, or some review mislead me do believe that can connect more that 2 workstations/servers . if it says 2 for stacking , but you can use all 4 for servers that perfectly fine. Now the question is dell 5524 better than GS752TXS. What is the beast switch you can recommend with this price range ? I relay don't want to get something and realize I could've got something better for the same amount , which is the most reliable and testes switch for the money ?!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek

plex doesn't transcode unless you tell it to. I play all my files directly via plex, without transcoding.

I understand what you are getting at, but from your questions it appeared on the outset that you were not clear about how switches and networks in general, work. If you are, and it is just a language barrier, I apologize. From my perspective, it looks like you are over-exaggerating your network utilization.

plex doesn't transcode unless you tell it to. I play all my files directly via plex, without transcoding.

I understand what you are getting at, but from your questions it appeared on the outset that you were not clear about how switches and networks in general, work. If you are, and it is just a language barrier, I apologize. From my perspective, it looks like you are over-exaggerating your network utilization.

Why you even using this plex if not trans coding ? Why can you just share and play on your device ?

For the network issue. You wound by a gigabit switch which has back plane capacity of 1Gbps, no matter how many ports , no matter how busy is your network, you would want non blocking back plane , right ?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why you even using this plex if not trans coding ? Why can you just share and play on your device ?

For the network issue. You wound by a gigabit switch which has back plane capacity of 1Gbps, no matter how many ports , no matter how busy is your network, you would want non blocking back plane , right ?

Why would I want to make it more difficult for my wife and kid to watch media? Why would I not want to make it easy for my friends to view my media (which gets transcoded over the WAN)?

You keep mentioning being bound by a single Gb link. Why would you be? Why wouldn't you just put all the clients on the same switch? You said you only have 3-4 clients?
Are your clients moving these huge files around all the time? At the same time?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a dream of 10gbps gear, just trying to understand the actual use case. I don't think your network would actually benefit from it at this time.

Why would I want to make it more difficult for my wife and kid to watch media? Why would I not want to make it easy for my friends to view my media (which gets transcoded over the WAN)?

You keep mentioning being bound by a single Gb link. Why would you be? Why wouldn't you just put all the clients on the same switch? You said you only have 3-4 clients?
Are your clients moving these huge files around all the time? At the same time?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a dream of 10gbps gear, just trying to understand the actual use case. I don't think your network would actually benefit from it at this time.

Not sure I understand the plex situation my setup is different.

I have only 3-4 clients that really need 10GB speed. That is 2 files servers and workstation to edit huge video files directly from file servers. The rest of the clients ( about 20-25) don't mind 1gb speed as a fact few IP cameras are 100mb connections. They are on the same switch as of now, bu I don't have 10gb now. When I get 10GB switch they will have to be on 2 switches 8port 10gb switch connected to my 24x1gb switch. My 1gb switch doesn't have 10gb uplink ports so when connected to 10gb switch with 1gb link will case very bad bottle neck situation. Any client on 24x1gb switch who let say copy file to the 10GB switch will use all the bandwidth and the rest 23 clients on 1gb switch will have wait for the copy to finish before they can access the 10gb switch.

I hope this clarify it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Any client on 24x1gb switch who let say copy file to the 10GB switch will use all the bandwidth and the rest 23 clients on 1gb switch will have wait for the copy to finish before they can access the 10gb switch.

Well, no, that's not the way that works. Everything just goes slower while the two clients saturate the 1Gbit link. That's fine and networks have coped with worse than that for a long time.

So if you really have "about 20-25" 1Gbit clients, you can do one of a few things.

1) Get yourself a 5524, which also gives you two 10GbE.

2) Get yourself two 5524's and stack them, which gives you four 10GbE.

3) Get yourself a 5524 and a Netgear XS708E which gives you eight 10GbE.

With the 5524's, you can get more as needed and have 10G uplink between them, which makes it unlikely that you will have saturation issues.

1) Get yourself a 5524, which also gives you two 10GbE.

I was looking on ebay for 5524 and came across 6224 for around $300. It seems 6224 is layer 3 , which I don't care because I don't understand layer 3 anyways, but it has 4x10GB uplinks instead of 2x10gb on 5524.
Is 6224 better option that 5524 ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you can find a 6224 with the 10G modules that you need, yes. On many of the higher end switches, the 10G ports are not a fixed option and are instead provided on modules so that you can swap for different types. I don't have time to look at the 6224 module options right now, but it is a fine option if you can find what you need.

If you can find a 6224 with the 10G modules that you need, yes. On many of the higher end switches, the 10G ports are not a fixed option and are instead provided on modules so that you can swap for different types. I don't have time to look at the 6224 module options right now, but it is a fine option if you can find what you need.

I have huge dilemma between used (dell 5524/6224) for $400 or brand new
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ProSA...-GS728TX-100NES/dp/B00OZCFVVC?tag=servecom-20
for $540

If this second switch GS728TX-100NES is really doing what specs says for $540 brand new , I don't understand how come it's not in every household in America already ?! There must be a catch when something looks too good to be true.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have huge dilemma between used (dell 5524/6224) for $400 or brand new
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-ProSA...-GS728TX-100NES/dp/B00OZCFVVC?tag=servecom-20
for $540

If this second switch GS728TX-100NES is really doing what specs says for $540 brand new , I don't understand how come it's not in every household in America already ?! There must be a catch when something looks too good to be true.
Lol.

Every household in America huh?

Lmao. Your average user cringes at spending $100 on a consumer grade router/WiFi/switch package.

You are right. What Am I thinking. I will rephrase it: Every user who ever consider getting his feet wet in 10gb world, should consider this switch as pure gold. Why you guys think , isn't this better that 5524 used , if you can get this for $540 brand new ( it has 4x10gb 2 of them rj45) I never herd of anything getting closer on feature side ?! You don't even need SPF+ module for the first 2x10GB clients ?!?

If I am wrong please point it out , before I spend the money on it.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.