Two NIC's for the average home user - config help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What is you opinion on 10gg T-Based vs Fiber ? Cyberjock suggest very price efficient solution with fiber nics, but imagine you buy switches , modules , and 10gb nic are keep piling , then if you have to switch to 10bgT-Base all these cards and switches goes to the garbage.

Also I wonder about fiber: Do you patch fiber or you use only pre-made terminated cables ? I am kind of scared to patch my own fiber cables , look much more complicated and risky than patching cat6 ?

Added to the 10G primer:

I believe that 10GBASE-T will ultimately be the prevailing technology, but it is very much the VHS (ref VHS-vs-Betamax) of the networking world. It is an inferior technology that burns more power and makes more compromises. Most of the deployed 10G networking out there today is still NOT copper, so for the next several years, at least, the best deals on eBay are likely to be for SFP+ or other non-copper technologies.

We're still going with SFP+ here, and I expect we will continue to do so for at least several more years.

You can make your own fiber patch, but the field termination kits tend to be finicky and messy. Big shops may choose to use a fusion splicer instead, using factory-made ends. This is not practical for end users. The best and most reliable method is just to buy fiber patch from any of the many vendors who will sell you whatever you need.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
While you are here , can you tell me what is your 10gb setup , I said is 5524 but , with what nic and what modules ? I trying to put the stuff together.You mention different hardware here and there but I am trying to put together what is needed to put everything together ?
Well, mine's been through several iterations:

1st iteration:

FreeNAS had 2 NICs, 1Gb and 10Gb. My 10Gb was two Dell rebranded 10Gbs and my server and desktop were direct-connected via fiber (I had to go about 70 feet in my basement to connect my desktop and server). The NICs had their own fiber connections (non-removeable) so I used what it had.

2nd iteration:

Instead of direct-connect I switched to the 5524 and run 10Gb only from my desktop to my network and from my 10Gb to my FreeNAS server. I bought 2 fiber adapters from ebay for like $20 each and used them in the 5524. I believe they were Intel brand, but I could be mistaken. I don't have physical access right now, so I can't check.

3rd iteration (current install):

Removed the 10Gb Intel card in my FreeNAS server and went with a Chelsio card that was provided by my employer as we were doing some testing for new features in FreeNAS that required proper hardware. The Chelsio uses twinax, so it was direct connect to the switch without fiber adapter.

My next iteration will probably be to add a 5524 as I have a need for more than 24 ports now and it would be nice to have some spare 10Gb capacity. I'm running more servers and need more 1Gb ports, and it would be nice to have a spare 10Gb port in case I need it (which I might need in the next 60-90 days).

You kidding? I have been tempted to make a list of typos:
Off the top of my head:
  • Cyberjoe
  • Cyberjack
  • Cyberdog
  • Syberjock
  • Cyberjoke
Why does your username in particular attract so many typos? :p

Cyberjackass
Cyberass
Cyberloser

I'm sure there's some I've missed. :P

Added to the 10G primer:

I believe that 10GBASE-T will ultimately be the prevailing technology, but it is very much the VHS (ref VHS-vs-Betamax) of the networking world. It is an inferior technology that burns more power and makes more compromises. Most of the deployed 10G networking out there today is still NOT copper, so for the next several years, at least, the best deals on eBay are likely to be for SFP+ or other non-copper technologies.

We're still going with SFP+ here, and I expect we will continue to do so for at least several more years.

You can make your own fiber patch, but the field termination kits tend to be finicky and messy. Big shops may choose to use a fusion splicer instead, using factory-made ends. This is not practical for end users. The best and most reliable method is just to buy fiber patch from any of the many vendors who will sell you whatever you need.

For the first part since copper is inferior compared to fiber , I am supprise to hear the 10gbT-Base will prevail, if this is what you really saying. Perhaps for home usage you mean ? They won't replace fiber between countries or under the ocean with coper for the same inferior reasons you mention , no ?

For the second part: I guess I will use the vendor you recommend for fiber cables, I just have to be careful when running fiber inside the walls with connectors already installed on.

Well, mine's been through several iterations:

1st iteration:

FreeNAS had 2 NICs, 1Gb and 10Gb. My 10Gb was two Dell rebranded 10Gbs and my server and desktop were direct-connected via fiber (I had to go about 70 feet in my basement to connect my desktop and server). The NICs had their own fiber connections (non-removeable) so I used what it had.

2nd iteration:

Instead of direct-connect I switched to the 5524 and run 10Gb only from my desktop to my network and from my 10Gb to my FreeNAS server. I bought 2 fiber adapters from ebay for like $20 each and used them in the 5524. I believe they were Intel brand, but I could be mistaken. I don't have physical access right now, so I can't check.

3rd iteration (current install):

Removed the 10Gb Intel card in my FreeNAS server and went with a Chelsio card that was provided by my employer as we were doing some testing for new features in FreeNAS that required proper hardware. The Chelsio uses twinax, so it was direct connect to the switch without fiber adapter.

My next iteration will probably be to add a 5524 as I have a need for more than 24 ports now and it would be nice to have some spare 10Gb capacity. I'm running more servers and need more 1Gb ports, and it would be nice to have a spare 10Gb port in case I need it (which I might need in the next 60-90 days).

Cyberjackass
Cyberass
Cyberloser

I'm sure there's some I've missed. :p

Thanks a lot. If chelsio is the most supported 10gb for Freenas 9.3 I rather get chelsio. I follow you guides on hardware side and build the whole nas base on the most recommended hardware, everything works great , just need 10gb so I would like to use whatever is most compatible -reliable option.
I am new to fiber and I would appreciate if you tell me what model is your chelsio card and what modules-optics do I need to make it most work reliable ?!

It would work just fine, of course.

Oh I forgot something important:
I'll make both interfaces to have different ip's on separate subnets, but what about the fact that they will be connected to the same switch ? Is this valid configuration or you can't have multiple subnets on same switch unless they are on separate vlans ?

Jpgreco, tell us if 2 subnets on the same switch need to be in separate vlan or not ?

SilverJS

Patron
Now back to the OP.

So much for that, eh...? :). But this is great, I learned a ton. This is all especially useful in light of my upcoming pfSense install too.

The catch may be just that it's Netgear. As a longtime Powershift Partner, we're ideally suited to acquire demo/eval units at discounted prices, but we really don't... I typically suggest Dell, HP, or Cisco to customers, and our own network is built heavily on Dell. Netgear makes some nice products across the spectrum, and at the desktop level I do occasionally deploy the Netgear GS108T because they're the cheapest sorta-smart switch that can do stuff like vlans and be administered remotely. But many of the Netgear owners I know are anywhere from vaguely unhappy to relatively displeased with the devices. My overall impression of the quality has been kinda poor since the '90's when we had a fleet of RT338's that started to fail right outside the warranty window, and I hear of Netgears dropping dead often enough that I'm not convinced that quality issues have been addressed to my satisfaction.

When you buy a switch from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, etc., it is worth noting that you're buying from a company that's largely focused on consumer retail sales and keeping prices low, which typically means that they may be cutting corners on components in order to hit price points. The more "enterprisey" manufacturers are more interested in network availability, so the devices will usually cost quite a bit more, even if they don't cost a ton more to build. Sometimes they are bundled along as "freebies" with large scale server orders, but many of the buyers already have their own preferred network infrastructure and therefore they get the free switches and then turn around and eBay them for beer money. We got a bunch of switches a decade ago this way back when Dell was heavily promoting its PowerConnect series in that manner.

What is the best 1Gb switch with few 10Gb uplinks under $1000 with 48 ports you can recommend ? Dell or Cisco ? Can you suggest what you would buy ? like particular models and I'll search more about them after.

Status
Not open for further replies.