TrueNAS 12.0-STABLE - Set up VLANs

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you create a bridge directly on the lagg, you cannot use VLANs anymore. Theoretically you can assign an IP address to the lagg, but the general recommendation is not to mix tagged and untagged interfaces on the same ports.

Phill23

Dabbler
OK so it is either all LAN or all VLAN?!

Right now I got the OS and the jails on the LAN.
When I add VLAN and Bridge the jails are no longer reachable after reboot. LAGG is set with IP.
On my switch I got 802.1X Control set to Force authorized maybe it should be Multi-host?
Sorry for being a network noob...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
No 802.1x at all. VLANs are 802.1q. 1x is Authentication. Create a bridge interface for each VLAN that is supposed to host jails or VMs and then explicitly assign the jails to the correct bridge.

Edit, to be a bit more explicit:
VNET Jails on <ANYTHING> means a bridge on that <ANYTHING>. A bridge on the LAGG and VLANs on the LAGG are mutually exclusive.

You need to reboot with all jails set to "off", then create all your VLANs and bridges as desired, then RECONFIGURE all your jails to us a VLAN instead of the LAGG directly.

OK so it is either all LAN or all VLAN?!
You can always run untagged (a LAN as you stated) on one interface and VLANs on another interface. But don't mix.

Last edited:

Phill23

Dabbler
So this might be the problem.
So I set 802.1X Control set to Force unauthorized?! It's a Unifi switch.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Whatever that might mean ... you better ask someone who knows Unifi switches.