SOLVED VLANs and bridge - Something is broken

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It can handle tagged an untagged on a single NIC. Until you want to have a bridge for the untagged network. Then it cannot. Oh and if you are not using TrueNAS but e.g. OPNsense and want to run DHCP servers on the various networks. Or IDS. Then things get interesting.

But strictly in the TrueNAS context you can mix as long as you don't need a bridge on the untagged network. And bridges get created automatically when spinning up jails or VMs, so better not do it. But for technical correctness I had to add this post.

victort

Guru
Solved.
With this setup how do I add a VM to the LAN/VLAN1 interface if bridge0 is configured using tunables?

I can only add it to vlan1 bridge50 and em0 (physical).
Solved this.

Apparently bridge0 needs to be created via the gui instead of system tunable, with vlan1 as the member. LAN traffic then correctly flows through there and I am able to set my VM NIC to bridge0 for LAN and bridgexx for any other VLANs I have.

Screenshot 2022-12-21 at 11.09.40 AM.png

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Apparently bridge0 needs to be created via the gui instead of system tunable
Who gave you the idea to use a tuneable? All network configuration is done in the Network menu.

victort

Guru

This guide. But reading further someone else makes the comment that in TrueNAS 12 it needs to be done in the gui.

Volts

Patron
Avoid the problem completely, by not mixing tagged & untagged on the same port.

What switch are you using? Configure it to send VLAN1 tagged on this port.

Depending on the switch, that might mean disabling any "default" or "untagged" VLAN on this port.

victort

Guru
Avoid the problem completely, by not mixing tagged & untagged on the same port.

What switch are you using? Configure it to send VLAN1 tagged on this port.

Depending on the switch, that might mean disabling any "default" or "untagged" VLAN on this port.
That’s what I did. My problem was I didnt have a bridge0 configured for the VLAN1 traffic. Therefore I couldn’t assign it to a VM. Jails worked fine though.