Transmission update 2.84_2 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

carleycr

Patron
I am on 9.3 stable. I recently updated the Transmission plugin from 2.84_1 to 2.84_2 via FreeNAS GUI. I think it messed with my permissions somehow. I had to change back the download and incomplete directories. The permissions still stayed at 777. I have assigned the user as 'media' (816). I went back through the .json file and made sure everything was good there as far as scripts to run and such. However, when I try to download a show using Sickrage with Transmission, I immediately get a permissions error. I tried stopping Sickrage and Transmission using ssh and now I'm getting the below message.
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 10.31.07 AM.png

The strange part, is I am still able to start and stop Transmission and Sickrage using FreeNAS GUI and can access them via browser. When I try to access Transmission .json file now, nothing is there.
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 10.48.51 AM.png

What did I do wrong and how do I fix this?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I remember there being some issue with the transmission update, but don't remember the exact details but if you search around I might have had a solution.

Here's some tips to debug your issue.
  • you are running service command on the freenas host. Run that in the jail.
  • also edit the file from the jail, or make sure to edit the right path from the host's perspective /mnt/tank/jails/transmission_1/usr/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json
  • Can you verify transmission is running as 'media' (UID 816). 'ps aux' from the jail

carleycr

Patron
I remember there being some issue with the transmission update, but don't remember the exact details but if you search around I might have had a solution.

Here's some tips to debug your issue.
  • you are running service command on the freenas host. Run that in the jail.
  • also edit the file from the jail, or make sure to edit the right path from the host's perspective /mnt/tank/jails/transmission_1/usr/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json
  • Can you verify transmission is running as 'media' (UID 816). 'ps aux' from the jail
OMG. I can't believe I didn't catch that. I wasn't running the commands from the jail.

I attached the ps aux command results. Are you referring to the highlighted one? If so it looks like I might be wrong on Transmission running as media user. Would stopping transmission service, then run command (sysrc 'transmission_user=media') do the trick? Would I run that in the jail transmission is in?
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 12.20.51 PM.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
OMG. I can't believe I didn't catch that. I wasn't running the commands from the jail.

I attached the ps aux command results. Are you referring to the highlighted one? If so it looks like I might be wrong on Transmission running as media user. Would stopping transmission service, then run command (sysrc 'transmission_user=media') do the trick? Would I run that in the jail transmission is in? View attachment 7257
I don't see transmission running there. what you highlighted is the control program that communicated between freenas and the jail to stop/start transmission.

yes, running that sysrc command from the jail is what should set the user

carleycr

Patron
I don't see transmission running there. what you highlighted is the control program that communicated between freenas and the jail to stop/start transmission.

yes, running that sysrc command from the jail is what should set the user
ok, I stopped transmission, assigned the user as media, restarted, sickrage adds show to transmission, and still permissions error. I attached the results from running ps aux which appears to have all plugins running as media user, correct?
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 1.08.36 PM.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ok, I stopped transmission, assigned the user as media, restarted, sickrage adds show to transmission, and still permissions error. I attached the results from running ps aux which appears to have all plugins running as media user, correct?
View attachment 7259
Yup, looks like transmission is running as 'media'
Can you make sure your download location is owned by 'media'.
Code:
chown -R media:media /path/to/downloads

carleycr

Patron
Yup, looks like transmission is running as 'media'
Can you make sure your download location is owned by 'media'.
Code:
chown -R media:media /path/to/downloads
Still nothing. I even assigned media user to the dataset. Transmission tries to download the show, then throws the error.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Still nothing. I even assigned media user to the dataset. Transmission tries to download the show, then throws the error.
What is the ownership + permissions of the download location? Can you show the output of 'ls -l'

carleycr

Patron

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I think this is what you're looking for
View attachment 7260
Everything looks good so far.
Can you check that you have transmission's download directory set (from the freenas webui > left panel). This might have been reset when you upgraded.
Also can you show that download directory from the jails perspective.

carleycr

Patron
Everything looks good so far.
Can you check that you have transmission's download directory set (from the freenas webui > left panel). This might have been reset when you upgraded.
Also can you show that download directory from the jails perspective.
Download directory set to /mnt/Vol1/media/downloads/transmission/complete.
Download directory from jail below.
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 2.22.39 PM.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Download directory set to /mnt/Vol1/media/downloads/transmission/complete.
Download directory from jail below.
View attachment 7261
Your setting should be /mnt/media/downloads/transmission/complete
Can you double check what it is. Screenshot of your setting would help.
Thanks,

carleycr

Patron
Your setting should be /mnt/media/downloads/transmission/complete
Can you double check what it is. Screenshot of your setting would help.
Thanks,
It appears changing the directory within the FreeNAS GUI worked. I remember changing it after the transmission update because I noticed it was incorrect. It also looks like, somehow, it's pointing to the correct dataset as well. Thank you for your help...once again! Much appreciated.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
It appears changing the directory within the FreeNAS GUI worked. I remember changing it after the transmission update because I noticed it was incorrect. It also looks like, somehow, it's pointing to the correct dataset as well. Thank you for your help...once again! Much appreciated.
Glad you got it working! Yeah, updates seem to always blow away settings available in the freenas webui =/

Status
Not open for further replies.