Transmission Permissions Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua_10110110

Dabbler
I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412091831 and transmission-2.84_2-amd64. Last night no changes were made and now transmission reports that it has no permissions to my "/downloads/incomplete" and "/downloads/complete" directory, I have tried everything google had to offer, made UID 912 for user:group for transmission and made it part of the media:media UID 816 group (auxiliary), rebooted the server for good measure...that failed. Then just made sure it wasn't a permission problem so made the "/downloads/~" directories nobody:nogroup with 777 and rebooted again, still failed. Originally it only had root:wheel with 755 and that worked, now I'm confused as to what the problem actually is.

Transmission has the settings in it's json file, so it's not that.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412091831 and transmission-2.84_2-amd64. Last night no changes were made and now transmission reports that it has no permissions to my "/downloads/incomplete" and "/downloads/complete" directory, I have tried everything google had to offer, made UID 912 for user:group for transmission and made it part of the media:media UID 816 group (auxiliary), rebooted the server for good measure...that failed. Then just made sure it wasn't a permission problem so made the "/downloads/~" directories nobody:nogroup with 777 and rebooted again, still failed. Originally it only had root:wheel with 755 and that worked, now I'm confused as to what the problem actually is.

Transmission has the settings in it's json file, so it's not that.
So what user/group (and UID/GID) owns the "/download" directory?
Did you add transmission to the 'media' group in th FreeNAS host, or in the jail?

Can you show the output of the following
Code:
ls -l /downloads

Joshua_10110110

Dabbler
I did add transmission to the media group in freenas through it's control panel.

drwxrwxr-x 4 root wheel 4 Feb 23 08:20 ./
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 4 Dec 10 08:01 ../
drwxrwxr-x 2 root wheel 2 Feb 22 18:48 complete/
drwxrwxr-x 3 root wheel 3 Feb 22 19:34 incomplete/

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I did add transmission to the media group in freenas through it's control panel.

drwxrwxr-x 2 root wheel 2 Feb 22 18:48 complete/
drwxrwxr-x 3 root wheel 3 Feb 22 19:34 incomplete/
That is irrelevant to the transmission process. It runs in a jail and is governed by the user/group associations and group membership of its jail.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Err...so your saying that I have to use the UID and GID that is the same in the jail, which is 912?
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do. What programs does transmission need to share files with?

The post I linked gives 4 alternatives that could solve your problem.

Joshua_10110110

Dabbler
Well it just needs to download a torrent inside the "~/incomplete" directory and then move it to the "~/compelete" directory when it's finished.

Again, the just happened over night so I don't know what changed the circumstances for it to get denied, which is was happy on root:wheel 755.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Well it just needs to download a torrent inside the "~/incomplete" directory and then move it to the "~/compelete" directory when it's finished.

Again, the just happened over night so I don't know what changed the circumstances for it to get denied, which is was happy on root:wheel 755.
The complete/incomplete folders are owned by root? 755 permissions would only allow root (UID=0) to write files to those directories.

Joshua_10110110

Dabbler
Ok, I changed it and this happened "Permission denied (/downloads/complete/FILE)

drwxrwxr-x 2 transmission transmission 2 Feb 22 18:48 complete/
drwxrwxr-x 3 transmission transmission 3 Feb 22 19:34 incomplete/

I will check to see if I mistyped 912

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok, I changed it and this happened "Permission denied (/downloads/complete/FILE)

drwxrwxr-x 2 transmission transmission 2 Feb 22 18:48 complete/
drwxrwxr-x 3 transmission transmission 3 Feb 22 19:34 incomplete/

I will check to see if I mistyped 912
It looks like transmission should be able to write into those directories. Can you confirm what folders transmission is trying to download to in /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

You should be setting your complete and incomplete download directories from the transmission menu in the FreeNAS WebUI.

Joshua_10110110

Dabbler
It looks like it's directed to the right directories (no pun intended)

"download-dir": "/downloads/complete",
"download-queue-enabled": true,
"incomplete-dir": "/downloads/incomplete",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": true,

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
It looks like it's directed to the right directories (no pun intended)

"download-dir": "/downloads/complete",
"download-queue-enabled": true,
"incomplete-dir": "/downloads/incomplete",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": true,
Hmm, I'm stumped then. Just to double check, you never changed what user transmission runs as? If you don't know what I'm talking about you probably didn't.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
By user do you mean the UID? If so it was on root.
I'm not sure what exactly you are saying.

Are you saying transmission is running as root? I doubt that unless you purposoly tinkered with things. Also, if this were the case, transmission would never have a permission issue writing files.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
What I was saying that is was originally on root:wheel before which worked.
The folders were owned by root:wheel, right?

If folders are owned by root:wheel and are 775 (as they are above), only root and members of the wheel group can write in them.

Joshua_10110110

Dabbler
It was working for about a year, sorry I mistyped it was set to 777. Should I reinstall transmission? Or am I out of luck until something happens?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
It was working for about a year, sorry I mistyped it was set to 777. Should I reinstall transmission? Or am I out of luck until something happens?
Well 777 changes things again. Then all users (including 'transmission') can write to those directories. From what you showed above the folders are currently 775, not 777.

You don't need to reinstall and that wouldn't change the permissions of those files.
If you add a new torrent right now it gives a permission error? That don't make sense to me because your download folders are owned by the transmission user.

Joshua_10110110

Dabbler
I've rebooted the server and now it still fails when the permissions are transmission:transmission 777. why....

Status
Not open for further replies.