Help with JRuehlig Installation & Configuration of FreeNAS Plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB

Explorer
I'm following the guide by JRuehlig https://www.jruehlig.com/wordpress/installation-configuration-of-freenas-plugins/

I don't understand what to do with this part. If you click on transmission in the plugins a box with option opens up. You have put in the Download directory and Encryption but there is no place for the other options.

Plugins > Transmission

I skipped those 3 step and got as far as the end of plugin jail command line
service transmission start && service sickrage start && service nginx start
and got this error.
root@download_jail:/ # service transmission start && service sickrage start && service nginx start
Starting transmission.
[13:23:23.726] Couldn't read "/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json": Permission denied
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING: failed to start transmission

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm following the guide by JRuehlig https://www.jruehlig.com/wordpress/installation-configuration-of-freenas-plugins/

I don't understand what to do with this part. If you click on transmission in the plugins a box with option opens up. You have put in the Download directory and Encryption but there is no place for the other options.

Plugins > Transmission

I skipped those 3 step and got as far as the end of plugin jail command line
service transmission start && service sickrage start && service nginx start
and got this error.
root@download_jail:/ # service transmission start && service sickrage start && service nginx start
Starting transmission.
[13:23:23.726] Couldn't read "/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json": Permission denied
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission: WARNING: failed to start transmission
What version of the transmission plugin do you have installed?
Can you show the output of the following in transmission's jail.
Code:
ls -l /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

BigB

Explorer
Transmission 2.82

root@download_jail:/ # ls -l /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json
-rw------- 1 transmission transmission 2421 May 31 13:24 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json
root@download_jail:/ #

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

BigB

Explorer
I turned off the plugins and clicked update and got this error
Error: umount: /mnt/v1/jails/download_jail/mnt/media: not a file system root directory

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I turned off the plugins and clicked update and got this error
Error: umount: /mnt/v1/jails/download_jail/mnt/media: not a file system root directory
I've seen that error around this forum before. I'm not sure if it's a bug or configuration error but I would search around for a solution.

BigB

Explorer
Can I just install the new version of the plugin into the jail as originally directed and delete the old one or will I loose all the steps in your guide?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Can I just install the new version of the plugin into the jail as originally directed and delete the old one or will I loose all the steps in your guide?
I would delete it first, then install the newer version.

BigB

Explorer
It's better after deleting all the plugins and reinstalling the latest version. I ran thru the command line again to make sure all the step were there but most had to be redone. Got this error
Starting transmission.
[2015-05-31 16:48:35.935 EDT] Couldn't read "/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json": Permission denied
Starting sickrage.
Performing sanity check on nginx configuration:
nginx: the configuration file /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
Starting nginx.

BigB

Explorer
root@download_jail:/ # ls -l /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json
-rw------- 1 transmission transmission 2439 May 31 16:42 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

BTW on freenas plugins/installed transmission is off and all the others are on. It won't turn on.

BigB

Explorer
I continued with the rest of the plugin setup even though I couldn't get transmission running. When I tried to open Sickrage I got this
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/tornado/web.py", line 1313, in _execute
result = self.prepare()
File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/tornado/web.py", line 2002, in prepare
raise HTTPError(self._status_code)
HTTPError: HTTP 404: Not Found

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
-rw------- 1 transmission transmission 2439 May 31 16:42 /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

BTW on freenas plugins/installed transmission is off and all the others are on. It won't turn on.
You need to fix the ownership of that config file. Run this..
Code:
chown -R media:media /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I continued with the rest of the plugin setup even though I couldn't get transmission running. When I tried to open Sickrage I got this
File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/tornado/web.py", line 1313, in _execute
result = self.prepare()
File "/usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/SickRage/tornado/web.py", line 2002, in prepare
In the steps you changes the URL sickrage responds at. Add /sickrage to the URL.
http://jailip:8081/sickrage

BigB

Explorer
My jail is 192.168.1.160
Replace the relevant line in /var/db/sickrage/config.ini
web_root =http://192.168.1.160:8081/sickrage

result = self.prepare()

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
My jail is 192.168.1.160
Replace the relevant line in /var/db/sickrage/config.ini
web_root =http://192.168.1.160:8081/sickrage

result = self.prepare()
I'm not sure what you are saying to me. If you set the web_root correctly to "/sickrage" and restarted sickrage, then you should be able to connect to..

BigB

Explorer
it works if I just type in the url into the browser but not if I click "here" in the plugin.
When editing the /usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/autoProcessMedia.cfg should I put the web_root to http://192.168.1.160:8081/sickrage and the same for the other couchpotato?
Any ideas why transmission doesn't show on in the plugin/installed area?

Do you have a link that describes how to use Usenetserver VPN with the jail? I presume it will protect for all the plugins in the jail once installed.
Thanks so much for your patience.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
it works if I just type in the url into the browser but not if I click "here" in the plugin.
When editing the /usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/autoProcessMedia.cfg should I put the web_root to http://192.168.1.160:8081/sickrage and the same for the other couchpotato?
Any ideas why transmission doesn't show on in the plugin/installed area?

Do you have a link that describes how to use Usenetserver VPN with the jail? I presume it will protect for all the plugins in the jail once installed.
Thanks so much for your patience.
Correct, you have to type the URL out. The link won't work if you have changed the webroot. The reason I change the webroot is so I can access everything through NGINX. http://192.168.1.160/sickrage

No, when editing autoProcessMedia.cfg do exactly as I do on the blog (web_root = /sickrage) or it won't work.

All installed plugins should show on the Plugins > Installed tab. If not you are experiencing a bug.

There's no need to use a VPN to connect to a usenet server. You should already be connecting to your usenet provider over SSL so the connection just looks like a single encrypted pipe to anyone but the endpoints.

BigB

Explorer
Added a show to sickrage and getting these errors on transmission
Error: Unable to save resume file: Permission denied
I was hoping to use usenet not torrents as it is safer. Do I need to install a vpn to use the torrents safely.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Added a show to sickrage and getting these errors on transmission
Error: Unable to save resume file: Permission denied
I was hoping to use usenet not torrents as it is safer. Do I need to install a vpn to use the torrents safely.
Is transmission running as the 'media' user (UID=816). Run "ps aux | grep transmission" in the jail.
Is transmission's download directory owned by the media user? If not run
Code:
chown -R 816:816 /path/to/downloads/transmission

####

If you only want to use usenet only then you'll want to modify some of the steps on my blog post. You wouldn't even need to setup transmission, and should not enable torrents in sickrage/couchpotato.

If you use torrents people can see what you are sharing (unless you use a VPN). In my blog post I do setup a blocklist but this won't necessarily stop all snoopers.
I don't have experience with using transmission with a VPN but I have read of people doing it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.