[PLUGINS] FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 + Transmission + SickRage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanmcdonald

Dabbler
This is basic broad stroke install guide on setting up SickRage on FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 using Transmission as your only download/torrent client.

1> Install FreeNAS create a Storage volume and create a share.
For the purpose of this guide the Volume will be located at "/mnt/NAS/Public" share will be named "Public"
I'm not going to go into detail on how to do setup storage with FreeNAS for more info see,

2> At the root of the "Public" folder make sure you're chmod to 777 and Windows security is set to Everyone "Full Control"
3> At the root of the "Public" folder create a "Transmission" folder and a "TVShows" folder verify both still have the security from step 2.
Also create a "TV" folder inside the "Transmission" folder and verify permissions.

----- Transmission Install -----------
4> Click the big Plugins Button near the top, Install the Transmission Plugin from the "Available" plugins.
5> On the left hand navigation column tree open Jails - Transmission_1 - Storage , click "Add Storage".

--- Setting default Transmission Directory Links for Post Processing ---
6> In the "Add Storage" window, set Source to "/mnt/NAS/Public/Transmission" .
* The Public linked root directory for Transmission.
7> In the "Add Storage" window, set Destination to "/media/complete" and click OK.
* The Jailed linked root directory for Transmission.

8> On the left hand navigation column tree open Plugins and click "Transmission".
9> In the "Transmission" window, set the "Watch Directory" to "/media/watch".
10> In the "Transmission" window, set the "Complete Directory" to "/media/complete".
11> In the "Transmission" window, set the "Incomplete Directory" to "/media/incomplete"
* Also chmod "/media/" to 777 and verify permissions.
12> In the "Transmission" window, set the "Downloaded Permissions" to 777 and click OK.
13> Click the big Plugins Button near the top and view "Installed" plugins, Turn on "Transmission".
14> On the left hand navigation column tree open Plugins and click "Transmission".
15> Towards top the "Transmission" window, click on "Transmission's Web Interface can be found here".
16> This will open the "Transmission" WebUI find some torrents and test that it is working.

----- SickRage Install -----------------
17> Click the big Plugins Button near the top, Install the SickRage Plugin from the "Available" plugins.

--- Setting default SickRage Directory Links for Post Processing ---
18> On the left hand navigation column tree open Jails - SickRage_1 - Storage , click "Add Storage".
19> In the "Add Storage" window, set Source to "/mnt/NAS/Public/TVShows".
20> In the "Add Storage" window, set Destination to "/media/TV" and click OK.
*** SickRage will Move TV Shows To here.

--- Setting SickRage's Directory Link to Transmission ---
21> On the left hand navigation column tree open Jails - SickRage_1 - Storage, click "Add Storage".
22> In the "Add Storage" window, set Source to "/mnt/NAS/Public/Transmission/TV" .
23> In the "Add Storage" window, set Destination to "/media/complete/TV" and click OK.
*** SickRage will DownloadMove TV Shows From here .

* Also ensure to chmod all of "/media/" to 777 and verify permissions.

24> Click the big Plugins Button near the top and view "Installed" plugins, Turn on "SickRage".

25>On the left hand navigation column tree open Plugins and click "SickRage".
26> Towards top the "SickRage" window, click on "SickRage Web Interface can be foundhere".

--- Configure SickRage WebUI ---
27> Select “Shows” – “Add Show” – Click “Add New Show” – Select “Step 2”
28> Click “New” and set the directory to "/media/TV".
29> Click on the Cog icon in the upper right hand corner and select “Search Settings”.
30> Select the “Torrent Search” Tab.
31> Set “Torrent Method” to “Transmission”.
32> Set “Transmission Host” to “http://TransmissionIPAddess:9091/” .
33> Set “Transmission Directory” to “"/media/complete/TV”, Test Connection and “Save Changes”.
34> Near the top click the “Search Providers” button.
35> Check the boxes for Torrent providers you know you can access and click “Save Changes”.
36> Near the top click the “Post Processing” button.
37> On the “Post Processing” page, set the “TV Download Dir” to “/media/complete/TV”.
38> Set “Process Episode Method” to “Move” and “Save Changes”.
39> Review both the “Episode Naming” and “Metadata” tabs for how your files will be processed.

---- Choose New SickRage Show to Test -------
40> Go to “Shows” – “Add Show” – Click “Add New Show”.
41> Follow “Steps 1, 2 and 3”
42> Go to “Show List”, click on your show.
43> Click the checkbox on an old episode, under “Change selected episodes to:” choose “Wanted” and click “Go”.
44> Some notification should popup sayind the “Episode has been Snatched!”.
45> Near the top of the screen, goto “Manage” and choose “Manage Torrents”.
46> Once the Torrent is done check “/mnt/NAS/Public/TVShows” directory or “\\YourFreeNas\Public\TVShows” fileshare.

FYI, most of the issues I ran into with this were file permissions on both the Linux side and Windows side.
So make sure your folder permission are chmod to 777 and Windows security is set to Everyone "Full Control".
I recommend using Filezilla’s SSH FTP (SFTP) client to manage adding new FreeBSD directories and Permissions.
I’m sure my way is heavy handed permissions wise, but it’s how I got it to work.

Last edited:

Fish

Contributor
I followed your steps here and found that there's an issue with it. When configured with the above steps here's what happens:
>User adds show to SR
>SR successfully snatches torrent, starts the download
>Nothing happens once the torrent is done

The problem is in Step 22 above. This is how you say to add the jail storage:
Code:
Jail                        Source                       Destination
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sickrage_1        /mnt/NAS/Public/Transmission/TV        /media/complete/TV

It should actually be like this:
Code:
Jail                        Source                      Destination
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
sickrage_1        /mnt/NAS/Public/Transmission        /media/complete/TV

Thanks for the write-up though. Answered a lot of my questions. Also, if anyone is wanting Plex to have access to the done downloads, the storage looks like this:
Code:
Jail                        Source                           Destination
----------------------------------------------------------------------
plexmediaserver_1        /mnt/NAS/Public/tvshows        /media/tv

-fish

ethanmcdonald

Dabbler
I have a TV folder in Transmission so I can still manually bittorrent files.
Without adding more files for SickRage's Post Processing to work through.

On step 37 you'll setup SickRage post processing to process the files out of the mounted transmission folder /media/complete/TV in the SickRage jail.

The Post Processing will move the files to the /media/TV folder in the SickRage jail which is linked to the NAS share at /mnt/NAS/Public/TVShows .
As seen in Step 19 & 20.

Last edited:

ethanmcdonald

Dabbler
So here is the workflow.

Remember SickRage, Transmission & PLEX are all virtual machines on the FreeNAS Server and the Jails are the file sandboxes they seperately the run in.

SickRage use Transmission App to BiTorrent download into "media/complete/TV" within Transmission jail file structure.

The Transmission folder "media/complete/TV" is linked to the NAS shared folder "/mnt/NAS/Public/Transmission/TV".

The folder "/mnt/NAS/Public/Transmission/TV" is also linked to SickRage's file structure as "/media/complete/TV".

After SickRage is done bittorrenting a TV episode SickRage then Post Processes.

AKA moves an renames the files, from /media/complete/TV" to "/media/TV" all within the SickRage file structure.

The SickRage folder "/media/TV" is linked to the NAS folder share "/mnt/NAS/Public/TVShows".

Now you can point something like XBMC or Kodi to the shared folder "\\YourFreeNas\Public\TVShows”.

Or in the case of a PLEX Install, you can link to "/mnt/NAS/Public/TVShows" as the source and "/media/TV" the PLEX jail destination.

Last edited:

pclausen

Patron
Nice summary. Here's an consolidated version. Let me know if I missed anything.

sickragetransmission.PNG

Feel free to substitute Plex for Emby if you still haven't made the switch. :D

pclausen

Patron
So what do you mean by this step right after #11?

11> In the "Transmission" window, set the "Incomplete Directory" to "/media/incomplete"
* Also chmod "/media/" to 777 and verify permissions.
12> In the "Transmission" window, set the "Downloaded Permissions" to 777 and click OK.

Do you mean to open a shell to the Transmission jail and carry out the chmod from there? I ask because I get the following error when I try to download a torrent:

Permission denied (/media/complete/testfile)

I had it working yesterday, played around with an issue I had with SR, the blew out the Transmission jail and the Transmission volume and started that portion over again, but now have this issue.

Thanks!

pclausen

Patron
Duh, never mind. I wasn't going into /mnt/v1/jails/transmission_1 to do the chmod. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.