Transform an old HP Proliant DL380 G7 server into a FreeNas server

marcelovvm

Cadet
Dear friends,

I have an idea to transform an HP Proliant DL380 G7 server with 16 2.5 "bays into a FreeNas to serve as storage for Proxmox hosts. The point is that my HP server has an onboard P440i controller (plus an extension for the 16 bays) that does not allow IT mode.

So my idea is to install a SAS LSI 9201-16i controller (my server supports only PCIe Gen2) and connect the SAS HDD to it. So I would have a controller "compatible with FreeNas plus ZFS".

Is this my idea valid? Does it work?

karipk

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm currently using same server as my small business NAS. I have two M1015 cards. So I cannot see any reason why it should not work.

marcelovvm

Cadet
Hi,

I'm currently using same server as my small business NAS. I have two M1015 cards. So I cannot see any reason why it should not work.
Good info!

What kind of disc are you using? HDD SAS? I'm thinking of using SSD but SATA and not SAS models... because here in Brazil SSD SAS models are VERY expensive! VERY!!! VERY!!!

Heracles

Wizard
Hey @marcelovvm,

What kind of disc are you using?

It would be important to get proper NAS drives, like the Seagate IronWolf I am using. Western Digital have their "Red" branch of disks that are presented as NAS drives also. Here, the thing that is important is to be sure not to get yourself some SMR drives. Western Digital sold some of their Red drives as NAS drive without saying at first that they were SMRs. They reacted to that but you still must be extra careful here to avoid them.

The reason it is important is that so many drives produce a lot of heat and vibration. Also, they must spin all the time (to spin down and up drives all day long will kill them in no time). Regular and cheap hard drives are rarely designed to sustain such hard conditions. There is also the firmware that is different. A desktop drive will fight its storage all day long to recover some data when a sector is hard to read. It does so because should it fails, that data will be lost. In a NAS, that means the NAS server will have to wait forever when bad sectors happen. A NAS drive is meant to be used in a structure with redundancy. Should a specific sector be hard to read, the drive will not wait too long and will return an error. The NAS will then use the redundancy to recover the data from somewhere else and then work to fix the bad sector or mark is as such without lost.

Also, it would be good for you to plan how much space you need, by how much will that increase over time and what security margin are you comfortable with. That will give you an idea of the usable space you need. Because you said it is for hosting Proxmox hosts, it means that you need a maximum of IOPS. For that, you do not have much choice and must go with mirrors. That will be 8 mirrors of 2 drives each.

Next step will be to plan your backups. No single server, FreeNAS or other, can be more than a single point of failure. So how will you do your backups ? Do you need another server ? More storage ? ... Also, should you go for the lowest side on your hard drive, a failure will be more probable. That is, the backups will be of even higher importance.

Have fun designing your setup,

karipk

Dabbler
Good info!

What kind of disc are you using? HDD SAS? I'm thinking of using SSD but SATA and not SAS models... because here in Brazil SSD SAS models are VERY expensive! VERY!!! VERY!!!
Currently I have both SAS and SATA drives. I started with cheap WD Green 2 TB (WD20NPVX) and Toshiba MQ01ABB200, but I noticed that they are not that reliable. Some of my cheap drives have passed 60k hour mark, some of the started to fail too soon. (around 10k hour mark) Currently I have purchased Seagate ST2000NX0273, but I think my next step would be full ssd. 2TB SSD are about the same price than 2 TB SAS drive.

marcelovvm

Cadet
My biggest concern about not using HP disks (whether HDD SAS or SSD SAS) is with regard to the disk temperature sensors.

I have read several reports on the internet on this subject. As non-HP disks do not correctly provide their temperature, the server fans are accelerated to the maximum as they do not understand what temperature is being read. Here in Brazil it is almost impossible to find HP SAS SSD drives (and when we find them they cost 10X more than the standard SSD), even non-HP SAS SSD drives are hard to find and when we find the values make the project unfeasible.

So I am willing to sacrifice the HDD SAS 6GB/s for a SSD SATA 3GB/s (the P410i controller is compatible with SATA 3GB/s), even because for use in VMs latency and IOPS is more important than bandwidth.