FreeNAS 11.2-U5 on an HP Proliant DL380 G7 on RAID0

Hi, I intend to install FreeNAS 11.2-U5 on an HP Proliant DL380 G7. I know that the fact that this server has a RAID (Smart Array 410i) controller that can't be put into IT mode prevents the installation. And at first I don't want to buy an iXSystems certified controller. However I thought of the following: I can put each disk I have on the server in RAID0 (one RAID0 for each disk) and then in FreeNAS create a ZFS with this disk in RAID0. Can i do that? What would be the point of attention, or possible problems you might have in the future?

Live long and prosper,
Marcelo Magalhães
Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil

melloa

Wizard
And at first I don't want to buy an iXSystems certified controller.

It is not iX requirement, it is ZFS requirement.

I thought of the following: I can put each disk I have on the server in RAID0

ZFS won't have direct access to the disks.

Can i do that?

You can, but the question is: It is recommended? The answer: No.

I've successfully configured DL380 G8 with a LSI 9211. I'd try and get one for your build. Depending on the PCI slots position, you might also need a longer cable (I did).

Looking at mercadolivre I saw cards at R$400-500 and that's too expensive for me, but I don't know the Brazilian market anymore. In US would cost (used) $30 or ~R$120.

It is not iX requirement, it is ZFS requirement.

ZFS won't have direct access to the disks.

You can, but the question is: It is recommended? The answer: No.

I've successfully configured DL380 G8 with a LSI 9211. I'd try and get one for your build. Depending on the PCI slots position, you might also need a longer cable (I did).

Looking at mercadolivre I saw cards at R$400-500 and that's too expensive for me, but I don't know the Brazilian market any more. In US would cost (used) $30 or ~R$120.

Hi Melloa,

First, thanks for the replies and tips, I'm already changing my project. I have seen many answers, including yours, about this issue of using the right controller for ZFS. You even reassured me when you said you did a project similar to what I want, installing FreeNAS on a DL380.

Let me explain my project better, so you can guide me, if you want, if I'm on the right track. We are doing a study of improving our server and network infrastructure. Today we have 8 servers of this model, all with ESXi 6.0U3 and 4 HDD SAS in RAID 10 each one. My idea is to turn one of these servers into storage for ESXi VMs. Or, if it wasn't possible, we would buy a storage (Synology) for this purpose. The questions I have would be:

1) if I can install FreeNAS on DL 380G7;

2) if i should use sata3 SSD (without changing the 410i controller the SSDs would work at 3Gb/s and not 6Gb/s as a HHD SAS) but in case of a controller swap, this problem would be solved as the LSI 9211 since the Sata and Sas HHDs work at 6Gb/s;

3) For this use, FreeNAS as ESXi storage (iSCSI connection), would I need to add the necessary caches for ZFS, ZIL and L2ARC? If yes, can I use SSD M2 using a PCIe to M2 adapter?

Live long and prosper,
Marcelo Magalhães
Rio de Janeiro - RJ - Brazil