SOLVED HP Proliant DL380 Gen 10 installing problem

panoramix86

Cadet
Hi, I'm new to the community and with freenas, I'm trying to install it on a new HP Proliant DL380 Gen10 server, but the installer does not recognize the server's hard drives. I have 8, 1Gb disk and I have tried all disk array combinations and nothing. I have tried Ubuntu, Debian and Windows and in all of them I recognize the disk, so the disk array does not have problems, but with freenas it does not recognize the disk. The server uses the HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR, I think it may be a driver problem, that the freeBSD does not bring them included for this array controller, but I do not have security. If my suspicions are true, what options are left for me to install freenas on this server? Thanks in advance.

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
in the manual of the RAID card it Says: This controller operates in Mixed Mode which
combines RAID and HBA operations simultaneously.

You have a MIXED MODE port setting, wich is default for that controller.
In mixed mode, the adapter acts as both a Raid Controller and an HBA. The proper driver has to be loaded to see any configured array(s).

in the manual https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00018944en_us i did not find a HBA mode setting.

I am not familiar with G10 and G11.

Also i found this, there is a driver, but the page is offline.
https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/28756

Best it would be to disable the onboard raid card in bios and get a LSI SAS 9207-8i

It is quite cheap on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neu-LSI-SA...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You will be better with the LSI HBA.

Last edited:

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
PS: Also you cold try this, but look on you motherboard if you have any more 2 sff connectors.
Take out the Raid card, and connect the cables to the onboard controller, and do the flowing:

Enabling Smart Array Software RAID

The embedded SATA ports may be configured in AHCI mode or Software RAID mode. You must be inSoftware RAID mode to use the Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 SW RAID solution on the embedded SATAports.

Procedure:

Reboot the server.

The HPE ProLiant POST screen displays.

Press the F9 key in the ProLiant POST screen.

The System Utilities screen displays.

From the System Utilities, select System Configuration > System Options > SATA ControllerOptions > Embedded SATA Configuration > Enable SW RAID and press the Enter key.

Verify that you are using the correct AHCI or RAID system drivers for your SATA option.

Select a setting and press Enter.

Enable SATA AHCI Support - enables the embedded chipset SATA controller for AHCI - THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED

Enable SW RAID - enables the embedded chipset SATA controller for the HPE Smart Array S100iSR Gen10 SW RAID.

Press the F10 key to save your changes.

Attachments

• hp.png
    hp.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 8,213
Last edited:

panoramix86

Cadet
PS: Also you cold try this, but look on you motherboard if you have any more 2 sff connectors.
Take out the Raid card, and connect the cables to the onboard controller, and do the flowing:

Enabling Smart Array Software RAID

The embedded SATA ports may be configured in AHCI mode or Software RAID mode. You must be inSoftware RAID mode to use the Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 SW RAID solution on the embedded SATAports.

Procedure:

Reboot the server.

The HPE ProLiant POST screen displays.

Press the F9 key in the ProLiant POST screen.

The System Utilities screen displays.

From the System Utilities, select System Configuration > System Options > SATA ControllerOptions > Embedded SATA Configuration > Enable SW RAID and press the Enter key.

Verify that you are using the correct AHCI or RAID system drivers for your SATA option.

Select a setting and press Enter.

Enable SATA AHCI Support - enables the embedded chipset SATA controller for AHCI - THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED

Enable SW RAID - enables the embedded chipset SATA controller for the HPE Smart Array S100iSR Gen10 SW RAID.

Press the F10 key to save your changes.

Wow, thank you very much, I was so stressed with this server that it had not even occurred to me to use the onboard ports. With the second option I solved the problem. Thank you.

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
Glad i could help.
Also if everything is ok, don't forget to mark the thread as "solved"

PeterP

Cadet
I have an HP prolaint ML30 gen 10 but I can't Find the The device hard disk to install the windows Server 2012 are and I have the 4000Gb harddisk inserted

melloa

Wizard
I have an HP prolaint ML30 gen 10 but I can't Find the The device hard disk to install the windows Server 2012 are and I have the 4000Gb harddisk inserted

So ... are you trying to load windows to update the firmware? I'm working on a DL380e G8 and done that with the latest 2012R2 ISO from microsoft. You can install and run without license for a trial period ... I only had it installed for a day.

In my case the latest firmware cd for upgrades was discontinued back on 2012 and everything started being installed from an installed OS. Also some of the updates requires a contract linked to the account, so even my work having multiple contracts, I don't have the information and can't update the blade easily.

Update what you can, specially iLo. That you can do from a client (#$%indows PC) loading the image and running the update.

By the way, for controller I'm using a LSI in IT mode and have removed all PCI HP controllers. Works fine.

I have three G7 and two G8 running at the lab and it is a pain to get them updated. Good luck!