Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

steinklatre

Cadet
HP Proliant DL380 G6 Two Quad Core Intel Xeon E5540 2.53GHz 24GB RAM P410i 2X72GB
Specifications:
Brand: HP
Model: DL380 G6
Processors: Two Quad Core Intel Xeon E5540 2.53GHz
Memory: 24GB
Raid Controller: HP Smart Array P410i
Optical drive: DVD
Power supplies: 2
Dual Rails: Not included
Hard drives and caddies: 2X 72GB
Price: $165.00
Shipping: $31.49

I have searched the web and seen great things said about this server (for its price) but the one thing I see as an issue here on the forum is regarding the storage/RAID controller P410 AND the max storage capacity of this server.

I am quickly surpassing my knowledge in this dept. and am getting into that confused "question marks in my head" feeling.

I am not sure what I did when I last used FreeNAS back in 7/8 timeframe, whether it was ZFS or not but I distinctly remember all my drives of various sizes showed up as one large drive which I loved.

I know the power is a contention point but it appears the server has some power management options to counter that issue.

Its uses will be at the home:
- Plex Server
- NextCloud
- Torrents
- NFS Share
- SMB Share
- Development Server (web developer here)
- Local Backups
- Maybe GitLab

Thoughts, advice, pros and cons?

Thanks

m0nkey_

MVP
No, that probably wouldn't work either.

The controller on the DL380 G6 is integrated (Hence the i in P410i). You could technically disable/ignore the on-board and install a LSI 9220-8I and flash it to IT mode.

steinklatre

Cadet
Ok, yeah doesn't sound like such a great plan anymore. I appreciate the quick feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.