Freenas on HP Proliant ML110 G6 - Driver problem at first start

Kenzox13

Dabbler
Hello everyone
I have an "HP Proliant ML110 G6" (I know it's something old), but I want to take advantage of it for my own "NAS" (I think it's not a bad option).
But I have a problem ... I install Freenas perfectly without problems, but when I do the "first boot" it doesn't detect any of the two ethernet boards.

I have read in the photo other servers like mine, but very old posts so I think that for that "time" brakes could include the driver itself.

I have captured the screen where I am staying.

It is clear that the "problem" is by driver
- Do I have any option to install it?
- Install an older version and update to the latest one?

* The NAS will be for personal use, download storage, some multimedia and personal things.
If someone thinks that this server is not worth it, please comment, you could buy some type of plate of some mod that I have already seen about 230 €, but if it is enough ... I would like to take advantage of it.

HP Proliant ML110 G6

Intel® Xeon® X3430 2,40 GHz
Intel® Smart 8MB de caché
DDR3 PC3-10600E 8Gb
3x SATA WD RED for Raid 5
Internal Usb with MicroSD 32 Gb for de OS
Red
- Port 1, 1 GbE NC107i
- Adaptataor NC107i PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet

Attachments

• freenas.jpg
    freenas.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 462

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Please select 9 to reach the shell. Then run ifconfig -a | more, to see what NICs are detected. For the NC107i, I believe it may use the bge or bnxt drivers, so look for a bge0 or bnxt0 entry in the ifconfig output.

If this is the case, then the driver loaded, and all you need to do is to manually configure an IP address. Type exit to get back to the menu, and select options 1, 4, and 6 to configure your networking appropriate to your environment. After that, select option 10 to reboot, and you should see the web interface available after the reboot.

Kenzox13

Dabbler
Please select 9 to reach the shell. Then run ifconfig -a | more, to see what NICs are detected. For the NC107i, I believe it may use the bge or bnxt drivers, so look for a bge0 or bnxt0 entry in the ifconfig output.

If this is the case, then the driver loaded, and all you need to do is to manually configure an IP address. Type exit to get back to the menu, and select options 1, 4, and 6 to configure your networking appropriate to your environment. After that, select option 10 to reboot, and you should see the web interface available after the reboot.
Thank you very much I will try.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I actually have an ML110 G6 - onboard will be using the bge driver. Follow the instructions as @Samuel Tai suggests to configure your interface and you should be in business.

3x SATA WD RED for Raid 5

Careful - some models of newer WD RED drives use Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) and are highly unsuitable for use with ZFS. Can you post the model number you have bought/intend to buy? "Shucked" external drives in the 8/10/12TB are very popular.

Kenzox13

Dabbler
Thank you very much I will try.
Its working!
Thanks!!!

I actually have an ML110 G6 - onboard will be using the bge driver. Follow the instructions as @Samuel Tai suggests to configure your interface and you should be in business.

Careful - some models of newer WD RED drives use Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) and are highly unsuitable for use with ZFS. Can you post the model number you have bought/intend to buy? "Shucked" external drives in the 8/10/12TB are very popular.

NOT recommended? :( I can still change them, don't use them!
What do you recommend me please? I know that the boar does not support more than 750gb but the OS does.
but I repeat, please, what model do you recommend?

Samuel Tai

Samuel Tai

No, avoid the Reds in the PDF. Those are SMR. EFRXs are CMR and are OK.

Kenzox13

Dabbler

Well, as I said, it works for me ... But I have a certain problem and some doubt.

Except for using this command
ifconfig -a | more
(I am unable to put the vertical bar "|" ....

1 and enter see, 1) bge0, and I select 1 and add it to me. Well, it already gives me an IP and I can access it via the web.

Issue? when reboot doesn't save settings, i have to do the same again.

Now the doubts ...
4- Configure default route. Here I put the IP of my router? example. 192.168.1.1, right?

6- DNS Config. Here I put the IP of this equipment and the two dns? True?

Last edited: