HP ProLiant DL160 G6 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasNewbie1

Cadet
Hello there. I have read trough the hardware recommendation and I am aware that the hardware in the server I am going to ask about isnt recommended. But I have got a pretty good deal going on this if I decide to buy it. Therefor I would like to ask you guys With long experience and knowledge if this server is a doable project or is it a no og. I am mainly looking to use it for a personal file server.

HP ProLiant DL160 G6 Server
HP ProLiant DL160 G6
16GB RAM PC3-10600R-09-11-E2-P2 and PC3-10600R-9-10-B0
2x Intel Xeon L5520

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you're dealing with a Socket 1366 system, which is going to be slower and less energy-efficient than more-current gear. It only has four drive bays, which limits its usefulness as a storage server (though if four bays meet your needs, that isn't a problem). The disk controller could be a problem, depending on which one's installed.

Can it work? Sure. Will it be ideal? Probably not, but it will still probably be adequate.

HP makes some sweet, well-designed hardware. We have a few deployed and our FreeNAS replication target is an HP.

That said, the DL160 G6 is pretty dated and LOUD. Not exactly something I'd want in my house. As danb35 noted, four bays isn't a lot of space. The pair of L5520s are fine for file serving but may suffer if you want to transcode for Plex.

If it were free (or under $150), I'd consider it. Otherwise, I'd look for something better.

Cheers,
Matt

NasNewbie1

Cadet
Ok thanks for quick reply and good information guys. Will keep looking for something mopre suitable.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, my Norwegian is nearly non-existent, but it looks like that should do the job. Upgrade the RAM to at least 8 GB, of course. The CPU's pretty lightweight, but if all you're doing is using it as a NAS, you should be fine. If you want to do things like Plex, you'll want more CPU horsepower.

NasNewbie1

Cadet
Would this CPU be a suitable Upgrade for heavyer work like plex?
Intel Xeon E3-1265L v2 LGA1155 socket

danb35

Hall of Famer
The L low-power CPUs aren't suitable for anything except a thermally-constrained environment, and the integrated GPU won't be of any benefit either. Maybe if it's really cheap, but I'd look at a 1230 or 1240 instead.

ChriZ

Patron
Not really sure that the microserver has adequate cooling for the CPU.
The Xeon variants I've personally seen, all use L CPUs, I think.
But then again, the weather in Norway is cold :p

Status
Not open for further replies.